PDA

View Full Version : Getting bike on center stand?

projectapollo
03-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Just a couple of days of Deluxe ownership and really impressed with this bike. But there must be a trick I'm not aware of for getting the bike on the center stand. It's really difficult for me and now I have a very sore sole on my right foot from stepping on the stand to put it up. The owners manual says to step on the stand with right foot while pulling up on passenger hand rail. My technique must be off because it's taking a lot of force and a little rocking for me to get it on the stand. Any thoughts?

projectapollo
03-08-2014, 08:03 AM
I just watched the cuiseman goldwing video for this maneuver on YouTube. Maybe it will help.

GONRDN
03-08-2014, 08:16 AM
I have to say, being this is my first goldwing ever, putting this beast up on the center stand at first was no easy task. Took me about 4 times just to get it right. Then practiced it every day. Now its like putting it on the kickstand, second nature. You'll get it though. Glad you watched his video. It does help.

Steve 0080
03-08-2014, 08:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mXGIc4-vN7Y

F6B-RICH
03-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Agree. I had a little trouble when I first got the F6B also.But now A LOT EASIER.You will get it just keep practicing.As long as the bike is not crashing on its side when you are trying you must be doing it half right .batman-smilie.

Scotrod
03-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Dang Steve, Several to chose from and you pick the one with the rider wearing blue skivvies and scratchin his azz??? :yikes:

Scotrod
03-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Wear good shoes. I'm a little different as I tend to position myself a more parallel to the bike than perpendicular.
I don't 100% STAND on the centerstand,,, Left foot doesn't leave the ground,,, Standing parallel to the bike seems to enable me to easily pull up and back on the grab-rail

F6B-RICH
03-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Dang Steve, Several to chose from and you pick the one with the rider wearing blue skivvies and scratchin his azz??? :yikes:

Just like Steve's Muth Mirror video.Walking around shirtless shooting the video. Probably wearing his Florida flip flops & skivvies :icon_biggrin: .batman-smilie.

Hornblower
03-08-2014, 10:17 AM
This has been discussed before but my suggestion is to put a 1/2" thick board (or in my case, a section of rubber mat) on the floor to get your rear wheel to ride up on. Just that little bit of height difference makes putting the bike on the center stand much easier.

Steve 0080
03-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Sorry......I could not stop myself !!!!!! "fireybat"

Ericb445
03-08-2014, 06:32 PM
One important fact is to have the bike in neutral. I was having troubles then found out that was my problem.

Deer Slayer
03-08-2014, 08:55 PM
This has been discussed before but my suggestion is to put a 1/2" thick board (or in my case, a section of rubber mat) on the floor to get your rear wheel to ride up on. Just that little bit of height difference makes putting the bike on the center stand much easier.

3/4 for me.:poke:

motozeke
03-08-2014, 09:03 PM
The first bike I bought (back in 1989, before the internet) came with a center stand and I was never able to use it no matter how hard I tried. Then I discovered that both feet on the center stand had to be down for it to even be possible. Heh that was a revelation. :banghead:

Phantom
03-08-2014, 09:15 PM
:icon_cool::yes:

I like BMW's electric center stand (attached video)

Found a company that makes then for Harleys, not sure about the Goldwing.

Cost is around $700 http://www.slickcustoms.com/mri-custom-harley-bagger-electric-center-kickstand-automatic.html

http://youtu.be/h2xCPZB9tuY

projectapollo
03-08-2014, 09:27 PM
I got a lot better at it today after the video. I was using the ball of my foot, and actually bruised it. Now I'm facing more toward the rear and stepping with my heel. I also found that if I give it a medium pull, let it drop back down then pull up hard with the bounce it goes right up onto the stand.

Starting with both center stand feet in contact with the ground was key too.

Lastly, yesterday when I hurt myself doing it, I realize now that the bike was on a small downhill incline. That made it about impossible.

Dark Knight
03-09-2014, 02:57 AM
Left hand on the clutch, right hand grabbing the metal guard just in front of the bags. One foot on center stand. Push center stand down a little and level bike until you feel both legs of center stand on ground. Pull in clutch, push with foot, while lifting with metal guard. Pops right up. Father in-law showed me how when I first got my bike. He loves his wings.

Bama Bagger
03-09-2014, 04:10 AM
I've found a pair of shoes with a stiff sole works best. :yes: Never tennis shoes etc. :no:

Elin in So. Cal.
03-09-2014, 04:40 PM
:icon_cool::yes:

I like BMW's electric center stand
Found a company that makes then for Harleys, not sure about the Goldwing.

Cost is around $700

Here's a video with a Gold Wing and a dolly he made or bought himself (not sold as something to move a motorcycle with).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNtDCg7NNyg

Big Dawg
03-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Left hand on the clutch, right hand grabbing the metal guard just in front of the bags. One foot on center stand. Push center stand down a little and level bike until you feel both legs of center stand on ground. Pull in clutch, push with foot, while lifting with metal guard. Pops right up. Father in-law showed me how when I first got my bike. He loves his wings.

I always put the bike in neutral.

GiddyupF6B
03-11-2014, 10:04 AM
I always put the bike in neutral.

Same here :biggthumpup:

GONRDN
03-11-2014, 10:27 AM

So you grab the lower crash bar in front of the bag? How's your back after that. Just askin.

misterc
03-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Raise bike upright with handlebars. Push centre stand to ground with right HEEL (not toe or instep) still facing forward. Move right hand to grab rail. Simultaenously lift rail and push heel firmly. Bike will pop right up.

watertowerman
03-11-2014, 03:42 PM
I have always put my bikes on the center stand, I even bought a Rivco center stand for my FLHX. They always lifted right up, Wings , Harleys , BMW's I just now walked out and dropped it off and lifted it back-up. I tried to show my brother and he still can't get his wing up on the stand, I walk over and pop it right up for him. I guess I must do something different, but, I couldn't tell you what it is. Try different ways, hope one works for you. Kind of like my wife on her downhill skis doing all kind of tricks and jumps and I can't ski no matter how hard I work at it. GOOD LUCK.

alscott42
03-11-2014, 09:21 PM
I found it helps to raise the suspension a bit towards high to get the bike on the center stand.

projectapollo
03-11-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm much more proficient at it now. Making sure the stand has both feet in contact first was key. Using my heel instead of ball of foot helped. And for me, the medium pull, let it drop and bounce, then pull it right up works for me every time.