PDA

View Full Version : Powdered coated stock pipes

stepbill
03-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Just to let you all know that where I bought my bike, they sell the stock pipes powdered coated black. It includes the front trim pieces also. I think they were a tad over $400.00 but I can't remember. They also sell the Kury floor boards and heal toe shifter and the Kury brake lever powdered coated black as a set. I ordered these for my bike along with a black (powdered coated) front fender extender.

Steve 0080
03-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Got any pics of the floor boards and shifter....dealership ????

1951vbs
03-10-2014, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=stepbill;23841]Just to let you all know that where I bought my bike, they sell the stock pipes powdered coated black. It includes the front trim pieces also. I think they were a tad over $400.00 but I can't remember. QUOTE]

It will be interesting to see how the powder coat holds up. It is usually cured at 400°F and if it gets much hotter it will melt off. Because the stock exhaust you see is really a shield it might stay cool enough to stay put. I assume they have tried it before otherwise I suggest not being the Beta tester.:yikes:

bobbyf6b
03-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Interesting. I called a local place here in Phoenix and they told me the stock exhaust wouldn't hold up to the heat of powder coating. I don't know anything about the process.

stepbill
03-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Interesting. I called a local place here in Phoenix and they told me the stock exhaust wouldn't hold up to the heat of powder coating. I don't know anything about the process.

Glad I passed on it!!!!

yellow rex
03-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Some one had their heat shields done I think twice But it
did not hold up cant find the post but it is posted on the
forum some place.

F6B-RICH
03-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Just to let you all know that where I bought my bike, they sell the stock pipes powdered coated black. It includes the front trim pieces also. I think they were a tad over $400.00 but I can't remember. They also sell the Kury floor boards and heal toe shifter and the Kury brake lever powdered coated black as a set. I ordered these for my bike along with a black (powdered coated) front fender extender.

I got my stock brake lever powder coated for $20.00 and got a black plastic fender extender so there are these options available also .batman-smilie.

coffee_weasle
03-10-2014, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=stepbill;23841]Just to let you all know that where I bought my bike, they sell the stock pipes powdered coated black. It includes the front trim pieces also. I think they were a tad over $400.00 but I can't remember. QUOTE]

It will be interesting to see how the powder coat holds up. It is usually cured at 400°F and if it gets much hotter it will melt off. Because the stock exhaust you see is really a shield it might stay cool enough to stay put. I assume they have tried it before otherwise I suggest not being the Beta tester.:yikes:

i was "considering" using VHT 650 degree rated, any thoughts?

Pedro66
03-10-2014, 04:26 PM
My trim shields on the pipes are powder coated to match my Rush pipes and so far they have been fine

bobbyf6b
03-10-2014, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=1951vbs;23855]

I think that's a great idea. I wanted to do it myself but couldn't find the time. Riding kept getting in the way. Now I'm getting chrome Cobra's so I guess I don't need to think about it anymore.

GiddyupF6B
03-10-2014, 08:49 PM
There is also a 1200 degree paint available in a rattle can for grills that would work or header paint if you wanted to attempt it yourself.

1951vbs
03-10-2014, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=1951vbs;23855]

I have considerable experience with painting exhaust and suggest VHT 1500+ not 1200 barbeque paint. It will hold up very well and touch-ups are easy. Best if you can bead blast the chrome or at least use scotch-brite to give a little bite but it sticks well to chrome. You can even tape them off and two-tone if you want.

GiddyupF6B
03-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Which scotch brite would you recommend? I have black chrome but I'm pretty sure I want to paint it a matte black to go with my paint better.

1951vbs
03-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Which scotch brite would you recommend? I have black chrome but I'm pretty sure I want to paint it a matte black to go with my paint better.

Use the most coarse pad you can get and buy a bunch of them. Chrome is quite hard and it takes the edge right off the pad pretty quick. Black chrome is softer but I expect you will use 6 pads scuffing it up. I scuffed mine and leave them like that because I like that satin look and it matches my Rivco highway pegs, stock brake lever and pegs.

GiddyupF6B
03-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Use the most coarse pad you can get and buy a bunch of them. Chrome is quite hard and it takes the edge right off the pad pretty quick. Black chrome is softer but I expect you will use 6 pads scuffing it up. I scuffed mine and leave them like that because I like that satin look and it matches my Rivco highway pegs, stock brake lever and pegs.

I'm pretty nervous about scuffing up a brand new (not even installed yet) set of $700 black chrome pipes but I guess worse case I bring them to a powder coater and let them do their thing if I don't like the result. I am going to do my heat shields first and see how well they come out before tackling the pipes. I can always just get new heat shields if I have to. I think with my new paint the matte black exhaust will look killer.....time will tell. Thanks for the help!

GiddyupF6B
03-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Hey 1951vbs another question for ya.....If I do the VHT high temp exhaust paint and follow the instructions for the application is the paint washable? I would hate to have an exhaust I couldn't wash and keep looking purty......

1951vbs
03-11-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty nervous about scuffing up a brand new (not even installed yet) set of $700 black chrome pipes but I guess worse case I bring them to a powder coater and let them do their thing if I don't like the result. I am going to do my heat shields first and see how well they come out before tackling the pipes. I can always just get new heat shields if I have to. I think with my new paint the matte black exhaust will look killer.....time will tell. Thanks for the help!

You...were the one that wants to paint your black chrome pipes! If they were mine I would sell them to someone who wants black chrome and paint a stock set of pipes otherwise you wasted $700. A take off set of stock pipes should be reasonable $$.

As far as powdercoat...like I posted above, I don't think it will hold up to the heat of the exhaust.

1951vbs
03-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Hey 1951vbs another question for ya.....If I do the VHT high temp exhaust paint and follow the instructions for the application is the paint washable? I would hate to have an exhaust I couldn't wash and keep looking purty......

Yes the paint is washable. I have had several bikes with VHT 1500 paint. I would normally touch them up every 20,000 miles or once a year to keep then looking fresh.

4DI2D
03-11-2014, 11:52 AM
I fail to see how the heat shields could reach 400* without softening or melting the adjacent plastic body panels.

The exhaust gasses are cooling during their passage through the system and the only way to get excessive heat to the back would be to ride at full throttle for an extended period of time, which would also provide significant cooling from air flow over the pipes.

The drawback to chrome or any shiny surface is that it tends to retain heat while dull finishes and dark (black) finishes radiate heat more efficiently.

(The Harley flat black engines run cooler than the ones with a polished finish. It also works on the oil bag.)

GiddyupF6B
03-11-2014, 12:03 PM
You...were the one that wants to paint your black chrome pipes! If they were mine I would sell in to someone who wants black chrome and paint a stock set of pipes otherwise you wasted $700. A take off set of stock pipes should be reasonable $$.

As far as powdercoat...like I posted above, I don't think it will hold up to the heat of the exhaust.

If I wanted stock pipes I wouldn't have bought louder, better performing aftermarket ones. At the end of the day it's only money.

1951vbs
03-11-2014, 09:59 PM
I fail to see how the heat shields could reach 400* without softening or melting the adjacent plastic body panels.

The exhaust gasses are cooling during their passage through the system and the only way to get excessive heat to the back would be to ride at full throttle for an extended period of time, which would also provide significant cooling from air flow over the pipes.

The drawback to chrome or any shiny surface is that it tends to retain heat while dull finishes and dark (black) finishes radiate heat more efficiently.

(The Harley flat black engines run cooler than the ones with a polished finish. It also works on the oil bag.)

Vincent Black Shadows ran cooler than Rapides for the same reason. As far as exhaust/heat shield temp I will try and get an infrared reading in the next few days, then we will know.

2013f6b
03-27-2014, 08:08 PM
I bought a pair of cobra pipes,had them ceramic coated along with the chrome trim,they look great no problems at all.They need to be ceramic coated for the heat.I have 11,000 miles on them,they look brand new.

DJ TONY G
04-07-2014, 05:57 PM
I've had mind done for month with no issues.

Sam
05-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi, i have a matt Black ceramic coating on my vance&hines exhaust. It takes 1000 degrees. It Works Perfect. I'm from Germany and i'm New in this Forum. Please Give med some days and i will send some pictures.

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-06-2014, 10:06 PM

http://hondaf6b.com/album.php?albumid=106&attachmentid=9960

53driver
12-06-2014, 10:12 PM
That looks VERY sharp.
I will be emulating that.
Thanks.
Steve

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-07-2014, 12:16 AM

http://hondaf6b.com/album.php?albumid=106&attachmentid=9960

Thanks, Steve

53driver
12-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Hi, i have a matt Black ceramic coating on my vance&hines exhaust. It takes 1000 degrees. It Works Perfect. I'm from Germany and i'm New in this Forum. Please Give med some days and i will send some pictures.

Hi Sam. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Cheers,
Steve