PDA

View Full Version : Tank Protectors -- Has anyone added them?

db24
03-11-2014, 08:12 AM
The place I have the greatest problem with paint scratches is on the sides of the gas tank where my knees rub. I'm afraid I'll only be able to rub the scratches out of the paint so many times. Has anyone added carbon fiber pads? Which? Are they permanent? Is it just a new edge to collect dirt?

opas ride
03-11-2014, 08:43 AM
I have not added them yet, but may in the future..Wingstuff and other suppliers offer them and the reviews from riders seem to be mostly positive......

1951vbs
03-11-2014, 09:23 AM
The place I have the greatest problem with paint scratches is on the sides of the gas tank where my knees rub. I'm afraid I'll only be able to rub the scratches out of the paint so many times. Has anyone added carbon fiber pads? Which? Are they permanent? Is it just a new edge to collect dirt?

Miles has the Carbon Fiber ones but may not be posting because he is on the road.

I am planning on using Tech-Spec (not a forum vendor ...yet) http://techspec-usa.com/magento/index.php/motorcycles/honda/gl-1800.html when I get my bike repainted. I have used them on several sport-touring bikes and really like them. They claim you can remove them and reapply but it didn't work for me. They do however come off without a lot of residue but I'm not sure why you would ever want to take them off.

4DI2D
03-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Three or four coats of Meguiars carnauba and you wont have to worry!

Steve 0080
03-11-2014, 12:03 PM
3M makes a clear film that is also very good!!!! I do not have time to look for the link...sorry

comes under paint protector ?????

jkelley
03-11-2014, 12:07 PM
I use the 3M film kits by tank slapper for the tank sides and top as well as the saddle bag fronts.
I also have a small piece on the sides of each saddle bag where my fingers contact the bags when closing them.

JBnAZ
03-11-2014, 09:34 PM
I just ordered a set of tank pads from tech spec. I also ordered a set of sadle bag pads from them for a Concours 14. I will adpt them to the wing. I had them on my C14 and loved them. I too enjoy a grip service to use my knee as a guiding force.

I agree with comments about taking your time as you apply them, got mine right on my C14 and they worked and looked industrial and functional, and black! I like that look and would rather not fret over my paint getting scratched by me or my wife.

Ride on.........

JB

Cool Hand Luke
03-11-2014, 09:55 PM
I use Honda Racing Tank Pads for CBR. It is hard to tell on my picture but look hard on the tank:

Here it is up close:

Forum member Hondapro has these too (I got the idea from him).

Wingstuff has these:

That was my previous Goldwing. They were fine but Honda ones seem nicer.

I hope this helps.