PDA

View Full Version : green light trigger/Neodymium magnet placement

jaygollner
03-11-2014, 08:57 PM
I am ordering bar magnets for my new bike and was wondering if any member has put them on their bike yet and if so where did they place them. I have not had the bike on the lift table yet so I don't have a good feel for the framework. I have two of these magnets on my Valkyrie and have not been stuck at a red light since I installed them. If nobody answers I guess I will post photos when I get mine installed.

GONRDN
03-11-2014, 09:03 PM
I put 3 on my oil filter and was stuck at a red light today till another car came up.

dickiedeals
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
What Brand did you purchase? Where did you get it? Cost?. Thanks........ Dickie

Scotrod
03-11-2014, 10:01 PM
I had a 1/2 X 1 X 2 neo on the filter of my Stratoliner. (Semi-sim placement as Wing filter, kinda)

Can't remember the exact strength, but 70-80 ish,, (pounds)

Didn't help much w/lights, but did pick up some interesting metal trash from the road.

Made working on the bike a bugger as it always snatched any wrench that got close,,,!

Steve 0080
03-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Most traffic lights today are fully automatic….. when you pull up to an intersection look on the roadway for where the road was cut to put in the magnetic lines to actuate the light changing, normally this a an “ H “ type pattern…..place your bike on top of one of the cuts and the light will work….you don’t need magnets to activate the light...

dickiedeals
03-11-2014, 10:17 PM
I am ordering bar magnets for my new bike and was wondering if any member has put them on their bike yet and if so where did they place them. I have not had the bike on the lift table yet so I don't have a good feel for the framework. I have two of these magnets on my Valkyrie and have not been stuck at a red light since I installed them. If nobody answers I guess I will post photos when I get mine installed.

They only work on Inductive Loop Systems that have metal strips buried in the pavement. Rule areas and smaller towns use Inductive Loops. They are an old school type system. Ceramic magnets work well on inductive loops. Using several gives you a larger magnetic footprint which is what your looking for for the Inductive loop to know you are in the Turning lane so it will give you a light cycle. Unfortunately the Neodymium magnets seem to over power and confuse the system. I've found that three or 4 Ceramic block Magnets work better................................Dickie

jaygollner
03-11-2014, 10:38 PM
The type I currently have on my Valk are from K&J magnetics, they are 1 1/2 X 1/4 x 1/8 and have just under 10 pounds pull each. From reading different articles on the internet it may matter how the magnets are magnetized, the ones I use are Magnetized Through Thickness. I have pasted a link to the web page that shows what that means. All I know is since I installed them on the old bike they have worked 100% of the time.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/magdir.asp

dickiedeals
03-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Most traffic lights today are fully automatic….. when you pull up to an intersection look on the roadway for where the road was cut to put in the magnetic lines to actuate the light changing, normally this a an “ H “ type pattern…..place your bike on top of one of the cuts and the light will work….you don’t need magnets to activate the light...

This is not exactly true. Most are infrared or Radar. The H pattern ones are usually Inductive Loops, there are in fact several patterns. This coming from someone who used to sell and install them. The Ceramic magnets do work on inductive Loops..................Dickie

dickiedeals
03-11-2014, 11:05 PM
The type I currently have on my Valk are from K&J magnetics, they are 1 1/2 X 1/4 x 1/8 and have just under 10 pounds pull each. From reading different articles on the internet it may matter how the magnets are magnetized, the ones I use are Magnetized Through Thickness. I have pasted a link to the web page that shows what that means. All I know is since I installed them on the old bike they have worked 100% of the time.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/magdir.asp

Nice informative link. I know about Magnets and Inductive Loop Turn Lanes. I've in fact been selling and using Traffic Light Wizards for Inductive Loops. Have for several years. They do in fact work unless the Inductive system is out of calibration or the road has been repaved several times which is basically the same as being out of calibration.(Traffic Light Wizard's are presently PatPending)............................Dickie

Texas TC
03-11-2014, 11:06 PM
I had two on a Harley I owned and they did not help change the lights at intersections with the old in ground sensors. Thankfully more intersections around here are being changed to the new sensors that are mounter high at light level. They work fine without magnet support.

Bama Bagger
03-11-2014, 11:57 PM
I've used magnets on many bikes in the past with limited success. I doubt I'll put them on the Bagger or my Busa as I am more prone today to wait two cycles of the light and then treat the intersection as a four way stop! :shrug:

bob109
03-12-2014, 12:37 AM
Use magnets for another useful purpose other than activating red lights. Place them on your oil filter to enhance its performance:icon_biggrin: The stronger circular magnets, available from Harbor Freight will do the trick:icon_wink:

Here's more info on the subject!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?259-Oil-Filter-Enhancement

jaygollner
03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Use magnets for another useful purpose other than activating red lights. Place them on your oil filter to enhance its performance:icon_biggrin: The stronger circular magnets, available from Harbor Freight will do the trick:icon_wink:

Here's more info on the subject!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?259-Oil-Filter-Enhancement

I have a microwave magnet on my tool box I will have to see how that fits.