PDA

View Full Version : F6B Rain

FlyinF
05-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Yesterday I got caught in a nasty rain storm on the highway. I have had several "big" bikes 1800VTX, Goldwing, Valkyrie and ST1300 and I noticed the F6 feels a little "light" (front tire didn't feel so secure) on wet pavement and rain groves............the other bikes had nothing note worthy about them in rain/groves. Has anyone else been caught in serious rain and noticed anything?
After the ride I washed (been washed twice) it to get all the road grime off and the paint is ok with me (I have black standard). I am happy with paint (some very light swirls associated with washing/grime removal and if you look really, really hard you can see some light scratches)............all my biker buds have checked out the bike in detail and all say the bike is cool with no comments on paint. I also have no stumble problems it runs great. I have installed Rush 2.50 exhaust system and the sound is a pretty nice rumble but not distracting. Also installed: Bagger convertible wshield, EC single shooters, digital voltmeter, Kurykyn grips, highway pegs, belly pan, palm rest, throttle lock, baggage rack (can mount small box or pizza box as some call it, when I travel I like to take the kitchen sink), 12v socket in left pocket, 12v socket mounted on left side cover mounted "hot" to battery with 15a fuse to be used for mini compressor or charge battery.
The bike is a keeper and compliments the fleet: Yamaha Super Tenere, 650 Burgman, 1975 CB750 and '78 CB550.

MichaelG
05-25-2013, 09:37 AM
FlyinF, first...allow me to compliment you on the other bikes in your harem. I too have a Burgman 650 that I use as my everyday run-around bike. It is fun...and I have named it a ST-650, with the personalized plate to match that. I also have recently sold my 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere' that I had for 2 days short of 1 full year, and rode it for over 41,000 miles in that 1 year...including trips to Prudhoe Bay, AK, and another to Happy Valley/Goose Bay, Labrador, and finally down to Bolivia/Chile' to watch the Dakar Rally.

As for rain issues, I just returned from that trip that took me from Seattle to Tennessee, and back, and I ran into a lot of rain, which was the least of my weather concerns. I do know what you are talking about regarding feel in the rain, and I attribute the feel to being front heavy, versus the GL-1800 Wing that has a better planted feel, because the weight distribution is more centralized, because of the added weight of the rear trunk. I did not have any problems with the rain, and front tire wash-out, but I did notice the difference.

(a joke)...strap 50 pounds of dead weight onto the back rack you installed, and it should balance the bike out much better.

FlyinF
05-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Miles, looks like you and I have the same taste in bikes. Last week did a trip to New Mexico and rode "Run for the Wall" a rally from California to DC to honor those that gave the ultimate in Serving our country. I just did the leg from Las Cruces, NM to Odessa, Texas on the Super "T" (didn't want to get the F6 dirty, ha, ha). Between Pecos and Odessa it was 103-105 and about 112 on the bike/black top. Oh man it was hot.
Like I said in previous message when I travel I like to take all kinds of stuff...........so I will have plenty of weight to get the F6 firmly planted......................

Steve 0080
05-26-2013, 12:22 AM
funny....I have been riding like this for years with the Rune...it is front weight biased as well...52% front!! We need to weigh the F 6 B and see how the numbers add up....I prefer this feel as well!