PDA

View Full Version : Addition of K&N filter

GiddyupF6B
03-15-2014, 08:08 PM
I picked my bike up yesterday and had my first ride after the filter was installed, only other performance mod so far is exhaust which is only good for 3.5 hp to the wheel. I couldn't believe the difference in the pull of the bike yesterday, it definitely is a noticeable improvement.... is that stock filter that restrictive?? 1st through 4th gear was much "snappier" and the bike pulled harder no doubt but the real noticeable difference was the 5th gear roll on when I hit the highway. Before to get any kind of grinning acceleration I would have to drop into 4th and hammer it, yesterday when I hit in 5th it was a dramatic difference! I was grinning ear to ear. I have put K&N's on every bike I've ever had and it pepped them up a little but nothing as drastic as this bike. I was pleasantly surprised! I can only imagine after I install my torq loops and Bazzaz controller how hard this bike is going to pull......With the K&N, exhaust, & loops I should be at a 9-10 hp & torque gain at the wheel. The Bazzaz will be another 8-9 in both torque and horsepower. When all is done I should be adding 18-19 hp & torque to the wheel....this baby should scream! Stay tuned....it's about to get real up in here! lol............. Oh did I mention the NOS shot in the works.........:icon_mrgreen: For those who added the K&N did you experience a similar result or is my "butt dyno" telling me stories????

ED209
03-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Yes I always go to K&N at first filter change. I want that Bazzaz controller too.

I don't put as much into dyno sheets and numbers as I used to. This flat 6 with water cooling is a beast. Air cooled V-twins lose a lot of power with the hotter they get, this bike don't get hot and retains full power. It feels like a 120hp/120trq motor to me. I wouldn't see much problem getting a 1/4 mile time anywhere from [11.89 as claimed], on up depending on your race experience and body weight [with the short shield].

Cant wait to hear about your nitrous kit. :yikes:

erazor55
03-15-2014, 09:12 PM
How many miles before you installed the K&N?

ED209
03-15-2014, 09:37 PM
:icon_cool: interesting, the Bazzaz controller also has a quick shifter kit. :icon_mrgreen:

GiddyupF6B
03-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Bike has 3,000 miles on it now. I've done more modding to this bike than riding! I just got it in June. I'm almost where I want to be cosmetically and comfortably so on to the power mods.

choptop
03-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Bike only has 2,400, none by me and won't for a while longer. Seeing that I have the seat off for installation of my Mustang seat, wouldn't now be the opportune time to replace the air filter w/an K&M ? Just got threw watching Steve Sanders youtube video on it.

Thoughts ?

F6B-RICH
03-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Bike only has 2,400, none by me and won't for a while longer. Seeing that I have the seat off for installation of my Mustang seat, wouldn't now be the opportune time to replace the air filter w/an K&M ? Just got threw watching Steve Sanders youtube video on it.

Thoughts ?

Check my pictures I posted in the Garage section page 2 on what you have to remove to get to the air box.You have A LOT more parts to remove to get to the air filter.If you have the time change it who cares about how many miles you have on the bike.I did it as a winter mod because I was 90% at the air box already so I figured I will never have the bike apart this much so hey I will change it now .batman-smilie.

opas ride
03-16-2014, 10:22 AM
I had the K&N filter installed when my bike was torn down for painting so I do not know how it ran with the stocker..It seems that it pulled a slight bit harder than the stock bike I test rode which also had Cobra pipes only....I do remember that my 1800VTX made a little more intake noise than stock and seemed to pull harder, but maybe it was just because of the intake sound...In any event I have always used K&N filters in all my cars and bikes and never had an issue of any kind.....

choptop
03-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Check my pictures I posted in the Garage section page 2 on what you have to remove to get to the air box.You have A LOT more parts to remove to get to the air filter.If you have the time change it who cares about how many miles you have on the bike.I did it as a winter mod because I was 90% at the air box already so I figured I will never have the bike apart this much so hey I will change it now .batman-smilie.

After watching Steve Saunders video on it I figured there would be know joy in doing it, one of those jobs were you just get in grunt mode and do it. Not sure that I won't attempt it, when the filter gets here, but if I decide to wait till winter, no big deal, I will do it, I have as much faith in myself as I would a dealer tech, to do that job. It would certainly be a good opportunity to look at whats under a bunch of tupperware . Nice pics !

F6B-RICH
03-16-2014, 04:17 PM
After watching Steve Saunders video on it I figured there would be know joy in doing it, one of those jobs were you just get in grunt mode and do it. Not sure that I won't attempt it, when the filter gets here, but if I decide to wait till winter, no big deal, I will do it, I have as much faith in myself as I would a dealer tech, to do that job. It would certainly be a good opportunity to look at whats under a bunch of tupperware . Nice pics !

I like no dealer touching my motorcycles.The only reason a dealer would be allowed was for recall issues only .batman-smilie.

ED209
03-16-2014, 08:44 PM
correction:

11.84 seconds at 111mph 1/4 mile. STOCK :icon_cool:

GiddyupF6B
03-16-2014, 10:02 PM
:icon_cool: interesting, the Bazzaz controller also has a quick shifter kit. :icon_mrgreen:

Not an option for us yet. They have the Z-fi fuel controller and the Z-afm self mapping module which both work in unison but no other options for the F6B, at least none that I've seen anyway.

ED209
03-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Yeah.... I seen that. It only cuts 4 cylinders. The only quick shift cut I have seen is from Pingle, I don't know that they would separate the controller from the electric shifter and sell it.

Ive been fine for a while now with my rheumatoid arthritis. Last year I blew up in all my joints and couldn't ride for a while, couldn't pull the clutch in on the Stratoliner but luckily I had already installed a quick shift on that bike. The clutch on this F6B is very easy to pull and I would have no issues riding this bike with flare ups.

Being rough on your body in younger years shows in older years.

ED209
03-18-2014, 08:32 AM
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/PowerCommanderV/powercommander_v.aspx

its here, rev-extender and ability for quick shift kit. .batman-smilie.:icon_razz::041: