PDA

View Full Version : Brakes???

ff73148
05-25-2013, 09:29 PM
I ready to pick up my new F6B Deluxe next Saturday and I just finished reading the June issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. They compared the F6B to the Triumph Rocket and were not exactly kind in their review on the F6B brakes. They claimed that the delay valve on the rear brake takes effect before the front linkage begins. It's good for slow maneuvering at parking lot speeds but the feature effects handling on the twisties. If you try to drag your rear wheel with light pedal pressure, your fine until it starts to engage the front brake. Then you loose your line in the turn. IS THIS REALLY AN ISSUE? Please give me some feedback before I lay out my money on this bike. Thanks.
Frank Ferrante

erazor55
05-25-2013, 09:47 PM
I have to admit, the rear brake does not work in the same fashion that I'm used to on any of the bikes I've ridden in the last 40 years. I've never been shocked, but my rider (wife) has. I'll take it up on my initial service.

Steve 0080
05-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Total B.S................millions and millions of miles on Honda's since Honda went with an integrated braking system w/o issue...in normal braking one should activate the rear brake a split second before the front...Honda has got this down to a science...

MichaelG
05-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Other than the fact that I...again...wish this bike had ABS brakes...I found there to be no "problems" with the rear brakes on mine. The brakes on this bike are good...almost too good, if you know what I mean.

bob109
05-26-2013, 05:57 AM
The F6B, IMHO, has one of the best braking systems I've experienced. Can't make a comparison to anything with ABS, as I've never owned a bike which had it. The closest bike to the F6B was my 2002 Honda VTX 1800C. It incorporated a integrated system which had three piston front calipers. When you applied the rear brake the center pistons on the front calipers were activated. That bike, like my 6 was a absolute charm to ride and stop.

ff73148
05-26-2013, 07:10 AM
I have also owned a honda with a liked braking system. An ST1300 and I found the brakes to work great. But in the article when they discussed the delay on the rear brake they also made note that this was different from all the other linked systems Honda has on other bikes. I'm used to braking by applying the rear brake a micro second before the front brake. It almost like they are recommending the opposite. I just want to make sure I'm making a good decision on a bike I intend to keep a long time. Thanks.
Frank Ferrante

Steve 0080
05-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Any bike just like any new girl rides a little different!..Buy the bike , ride the bike, love the bike!!!

edgeman55
05-26-2013, 10:20 AM
I only have 1000 miles so far on my F6B but I can say without reservation these are the best brakes I have ever had on any bike I have had the pleasure of riding in the last 50 years of throwing my leg over two wheels.That being said it did take me a short while to get a feel for them and how to best apply them when riding briskly through the Northern Nevada mountians.But I feel very comfortable with them now and feel for a bike of this size I could and have been able to stop very quickly and safely when needed.I think once you ride your new F6B for a short time you will feel the same-That along with the handling of this bike you will really enjoy this ride.As you can see I love mine:icon_biggrin:

ff73148
05-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Screw the review. I like the bike and I'm picking it up this Saturday.
Frank Ferrante

Texas TC
05-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Screw the review. I like the bike and I'm picking it up this Saturday.
Frank Ferrante

Good decision. 4000 miles and adding on mine and I love everything about it, even the brakes of which I have had zero issues.

Dark Knight
05-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Good answer! :clap2::agree:

Any bike just like any new girl rides a little different!..Buy the bike , ride the bike, love the bike!!!

F6BEAST
05-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Good decision Frank, you won't be disappointed!

ghostrider
05-26-2013, 05:49 PM
I agree with everyone's input, brakes are great! I can't get over how excited I get everytime I ride this bike, it's just such a pleasure and does everything so well.

erazor55
05-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Total B.S................millions and millions of miles on Honda's since Honda went with an integrated braking system w/o issue...in normal braking one should activate the rear brake a split second before the front...Honda has got this down to a science...

To each their own. While I've not had any problems (except by a comment from my rider "were you expecting that?) these brakes do not operate like any other bike I've ridden in the last 40 years. I have never had to pump the rear (right foot pedal) brakes to get a coordinated stop on any other bike. I've had many Honda motorcycles. My first was a twin 360, probably before many of you were born. Then an XL250, GL500, V45 Sabre, then a GL650. I've never had to pump the brakes on any motorcycle I've owned. Honda (5), Yamaha(4), Suzuki(2 actually the Katana was one of my favorites), Kawasaki(3) and Harley(3).

Texas TC
05-26-2013, 06:55 PM
To each their own. While I've not had any problems (except by a comment from my rider "were you expecting that?) these brakes do not operate like any other bike I've ridden in the last 40 years. I have never had to pump the rear (right foot pedal) brakes to get a coordinated stop on any other bike. I've had many Honda motorcycles. My first was a twin 360, probably before many of you were born. Then an XL250, GL500, V45 Sabre, then a GL650. I've never had to pump the brakes on any motorcycle I've owned. Honda (5), Yamaha(4), Suzuki(2 actually the Katana was one of my favorites), Kawasaki(3) and Harley(3).

You might want to get your brakes checked out. Mine work great. No pumping. No lockup. No problems. In fact, I feel comfortable, except for fast or panic stops and braking in hard corners, just using the brake lever and rarely use the pedal.

MichaelG
05-26-2013, 07:05 PM
My first was a twin 360, probably before many of you were born.

Hey, hey, hey Young Man, many of us were born when Mr. Honda was still in diapers:icon_wink:

If you have to pump up your rear brake, then there is a problem. Either go see your Honda dealer, or...bleed the brakes yourself.