PDA

View Full Version : Test Ride

Vulcan
03-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Really excited for my first test ride on the F6B tomorrow. Anything you guys feel I should pay special attention to?

Mike B
03-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Really excited for my first test ride on the F6B tomorrow. Anything you guys feel I should pay special attention to?

When you get back, try not to smile too much. :) you will get a better deal!

GONRDN
03-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Bring your full face helmet if you have one. Especially if they didn't change out the windshield. You'll get a better feel of this bike.

Mike B
03-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Be prepared for the first gear hesitation if the bike isn't warmed up completely, after that just pretend you are on a 850lb sport bike and enjoy! It's very hard to find something that you don't like in a motorcycle with this bike.

opas ride
03-16-2014, 10:29 AM
As said above, bring a full face helmet if you can...My first test ride was horrible as I had to use a small beanie helmet from the dealer as I had forgotten mine..The wind noise was way to much for me..Loved the power,smoothness, and handling but could not enjoy them much as the turbulence and wind was terrible...Took another test ride a few days later with my own helmet, a 3/4 with face shield, and what a difference...Bought the bike, installed a Baggershield 11-19" adjustable and "whalla" Love the thing and what a bike......

Ericb445
03-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Pay attention to your checkbook, after the ride you will be willing to pay anything for the bike.
It is an 850 pound sportbike for sure.
-Eric

Big Jay
03-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Yea what they said :biggthumpup: post pics when you buy it. :icon_wink:

Scotrod
03-16-2014, 11:39 AM
If coming from the land of V-twins,,, don't be startled if you start out easy and end up in 5th doing about 40-ish,,, There is no 6th, 7th, or 8th!!! ! LOL! Bike is just as happy at 2k rpm as it is 4k rpm,,, or more! :icon_wink:

Its really difficult to 'take it all in' on a test ride, and folks are usually trying to hone in on 'new sensations',,,, something they didn't feel before,,, but,,,, some of the things I like the most about the 6 are the things it doesn't have,,,

Smooth (no vibes) at any rpm,,, No need to shift as much (wide power-band),,, No real input required to enter, hold, exit corner's,,, No pant legs flappin like ya just jumped out of a plane,,, no heat from the engine,,,

Nothing obstructing your view in the rear view mirrors,,,,

Stuff like this usually goes un-noticed until you cover a few miles, get past the 'all new!' experience and begin to appreciate what it is,,, and what it ain't! :icon_wink:

Sorcerer
03-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Do not square it up to the road and nail the gas Unless you have riden high powered sport bikes. My ride was a Valkryie at the time and I was used to running hammer down. On my test ride I had to make u-turn to get out onto the highway. First gear, slow role, snapped the throddle WFO. While I realized I was being slid to the back of the seat I also found that it was already time that I HAD to grab 2nd. On my ride home from the dealer with my new F6B that night I found myself in 5th gear at 50 mph in a 40. :icon_razz: Have fun. The sh-t eating grin WILL tip off the sales person.

projectapollo
03-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Pay attention to the braking power. It is impressive. Notice how it goes where you lean it, almost no input on the bars required. Try the radio and you'll notice the wind blown effects at above 40. Try some low speed parking lot manuevering. Attempt to put in on the center stand. Not so easy at first (get dealer help with that). I found my test rode to be unnerving come from a sluggish v twin. This thing yanks and pulls like a bronco. Took me a few rides to become a smoother operator.

unsub
03-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Use 2nd gear for lazy slow situations like parking lots or low speed tight turns. Seriously.

Elin in So. Cal.
03-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Use 2nd gear for lazy slow situations like parking lots or low speed tight turns. Seriously.

All that they've said, and this line above :lolup: is the BEST tip I've had all day... :icon_biggrin: Parking lot on the next ride fo' shure.

Vulcan
03-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the info, I will keep it in mind while I'm riding.

98valk
03-17-2014, 12:51 PM
The clutch on my Valk engaged very late in the travel. The clutch engages very early on the F6B, really right away. If you are not careful, it will jump on the first try.

Enjoy!

austin_tech
03-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Another good tip: Don't get ambitious and take her off a curb :icon_biggrin:

All kidding aside, I doubt you need too many tips or pointers. However, respect her weight. She's balanced really low and well, but you can feel her girth in the parking lot, and maneuvering. As others have said, have the dealer demo putting her on the center stand, and practice it once or twice yourself. One other thing I also did was try maneuvering her around the lot with your legs, especially backing her up a level or gentle incline, and maneuvering in and out of a parking space. Simple, but essential crap, you don't want to ride off with something you have limited confidence in. Important that you feel you can maneuver her, as you know there is NO reverse. :icon_razz:

motozeke
03-17-2014, 11:58 PM

1st gear is a granny gear on this bike. You pretty much don't need it, 2nd is great for starting off from lights.

motozeke
03-18-2014, 12:00 AM
Another good tip: Don't get ambitious and take her off a curb :icon_biggrin:

OMG people, listen to this advice! I went over a speed bump and heard the belly pan scrape. You must take care on curbs and speed bumps on this bike! :nono:

Elin in So. Cal.
03-18-2014, 12:07 AM
All kidding aside, ... maneuvering her around the lot with your legs, especially backing her up a level or gentle incline,

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! UP an incline? No effin' way that's happening with me and da Red Queen, so I think you ARE kidding! HAHAHA! I get stopped trying to back her out of my garage over a 1/2" rise of asphalt. OK, yeah, I'm short. Sure was embarassing the first time I went rock, :bump: rock, :bump: ... "Oh phooey."

I have to be uber careful where I park this diva, since she is so heavy. It has been a learning experience, but so far I've only asked for help twice.