PDA

View Full Version : Where did you go for a ride this Sunday ?

MarcPW
05-26-2013, 03:23 AM
I live in New Zealand, and at this time of the year, unfortunately, it is fall. And it can be pretty humid, cold and rainy.
Finally, 10 days after purchasing my F6B, the sky was in a good mood, the sun came out and I took my bagger for a ride.
I went West of Auckland, in the Waitakere Ranges. First stop at the Information Centre, with Maori carvings. Then took the windy road to Piha Beach.
A surfer's hot spot, well renown for the waves and also for the rip that in summer put swimmers at risk. Piha Beach is next to Karekare Beach. Those who have seen the film "The Piano" with Harvey Keitel, will know what I am talking about. This is the beach where the piano is delivered. This is a film by Jane Campion, a kiwi director. The film won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 1993.
Not a very long ride, this is a small country after all, but after 17 years without riding a Gold Wing, a nice way to rekindle the passion.

255 256 257

Steve 0080
05-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Beautiful country you have there...enjoy!!!

MichaelG
05-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Marc, I have ridden down in New Zealand, and it is one of my most favorite places in the world to ride. I did a Thunder Bikes Tour out of Nelson back in January, 2001, for a 10 day ride on the Southern Island. I prefer the Southern Island, becuase I love the Southern Alps, versus the warmer beaches of the Northern Island.

It was funny, because just the other day, when I was out in Tennessee (and I live 2500 miles West of Tennessee), one of the other riders at the barbeque asked me what my favorite place in the world was to ride, and after a moments thought...I said the Canadian Rockies, like around Jasper, Banff, etc, and...the South Island of New Zealand.

If the world every comes to an end...you can have the North Island mate, and I will keep the South Island, and we shall be Kings ruling over our Islands.

CarolinaRider
05-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Yesterday I left Charlotte via Hwy 16 then 421 to Blowing Rock via the Blue Ridge Parkway then to Banner Elk back on the Parkway to Hwy 226 then down Hwy 226 home. It was a beautiful day for a ride in the NC Mountains. I am a Rookie so the 260 mile round trip was good enough for 1 day. Lost of bikes out but no other F6B's that I saw.

Where were you?

Wild Bill
05-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Yesterday I left Charlotte via Hwy 16 then 421 to Blowing Rock via the Blue Ridge Parkway then to Banner Elk back on the Parkway to Hwy 226 then down Hwy 226 home. It was a beautiful day for a ride in the NC Mountains. I am a Rookie so the 260 mile round trip was good enough for 1 day. Lost of bikes out but no other F6B's that I saw.

Where were you?
Aw man we just missed.. Wife and I jumped on the parkway saturday in ashville and got off at linville falls.rode up 221 to 194 and stayed in Newland just south of banner elk. Got up this morning and rode up to Va state line then back down to I40 to st rd 74 and come back through maggie valley.
As you we did not see any f6b"s on the rode. Was an awesome ride.Beautiful country up your way.

flyboy
05-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Aw man we just missed.. Wife and I jumped on the parkway saturday in ashville and got off at linville falls.rode up 221 to 194 and stayed in Newland just south of banner elk. Got up this morning and rode up to Va state line then back down to I40 to st rd 74 and come back through maggie valley.
As you we did not see any f6b"s on the rode. Was an awesome ride.Beautiful country up your way.

Went through Maggie Valley a week ago Fri after a 7 day 2700 mile ride from southwest VA to Lafayette, LA and back through Mobile, Tallahassee, Ocala, Ormond Beach and then back up thru Waycross, GA and on up to NC and TN...not a single F6B did I encounter. Got a lot of compliments on mine though.

Wild Bill
05-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Went through Maggie Valley a week ago Fri after a 7 day 2700 mile ride from southwest VA to Lafayette, LA and back through Mobile, Tallahassee, Ocala, Ormond Beach and then back up thru Waycross, GA and on up to NC and TN...not a single F6B did I encounter. Got a lot of compliments on mine though.

Man that was a good ride....We get alot of comments on ours. We took out tag along trailer with us.First looks people think its a crouch rocket pulling a trailer then you can tell they have no clue what it is.

MarcPW
05-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Marc, I have ridden down in New Zealand, and it is one of my most favorite places in the world to ride. I did a Thunder Bikes Tour out of Nelson back in January, 2001, for a 10 day ride on the Southern Island. I prefer the Southern Island, becuase I love the Southern Alps, versus the warmer beaches of the Northern Island.

It was funny, because just the other day, when I was out in Tennessee (and I live 2500 miles West of Tennessee), one of the other riders at the barbeque asked me what my favorite place in the world was to ride, and after a moments thought...I said the Canadian Rockies, like around Jasper, Banff, etc, and...the South Island of New Zealand.

If the world every comes to an end...you can have the North Island mate, and I will keep the South Island, and we shall be Kings ruling over our Islands.

Hi Miles.
I know what you mean. I rode the South Island back in 1995, one week on a GL 1500 rented in Christchurch, went through the Arthur Pass to the West Coast, down to Haas. Then inland to Wanaka, The Milford Soud, Queenstown, and back to Christchurch via Cromwell and Alexandra. What a ride !
Yes, I would prefer to be in the South Island, unfortunately I work in Auckland...
The top North is nice, with the Bay of Islands and the Coromandel peninsula.
Maybe a good reason to come back and ride again on the wrong side of the road