PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the trigger, if i had only thought this through.....

Spanky
03-19-2014, 08:52 AM
So while working in phoenix yesterday I found myself with some down time, and then the rest of the week got cancelled, I had the brilliant idea to buy an F6BDeluxe and ride it back to the Carolinas. So, with the encouragement of my wife, and the sales staff at Western Honda, http://www.westernhonda.com/ we uncrated and set up my bike. Great deal, and great staff out there.

Firstly I love this bike! however, after the first 25 miles or so, I determined that the windshield is less than useless (knew it beforehand, but did not plan on this trip.), and they should have not even put it on! If the dealer had some higher windshields I would have had them put in on. My problem is now, that I need to ride 2000 miles, if anyone knows where I can stop and pick up a Show chrome adjustable windshield, somewhere in I10 I-20 from Tuscon to Charlotte, PLEASE PM ME!!! I can't handle this..

That being said, this was indeed the right move. I can't say anything bad about the dealer, just that they need more parts in stock. I showed up in business attire, They outfitted me with a jacket and helmet, and my bike went from crate to road in no time. They even helped me drop off the rental car!

For those interested, Its a fast black F6B...

My order of adds, in order of importance:
Windshield
cruse
forward pegs, I like the revco

Steve 0080
03-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Can’t help you with the Show chrome………..but to get you home stop at any/most Honda dealer and buy a GL1800 windshield 14” above the rubber strip with a vent and when you get home I will buy it from you!!! Best offer you will get today!!! Steve, also know as Ken as that bastard,(Barbie’s boyfriend) has everything !!!! Personal joke from the Keys trip !!!

F6B-RICH
03-19-2014, 09:33 AM
:congrats: and have fun with your new toy.Good luck with the windshield problem.I hope you get that fixed for your ride home.Also :congrats: on buying the FASTER black F6B not that sssssssllllllllooooooowwwww red F6B .batman-smilie.

coffee_weasle
03-19-2014, 09:43 AM
if you're coming through illinois on I-80, you can stop and i can loan you one of mine (and you mail it back to me)

i have a smoke 13" & a clear 19"

steve

Spanky
03-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Wish I was coming up there. New mexico and Texas in the near future.

4DI2D
03-19-2014, 11:46 AM
If you haven't blown through Arkansas yet go to Honda of Russleville, they just might have a part or two on hand.

Scotrod
03-19-2014, 12:32 PM
If you haven't blown through Arkansas yet go to Honda of Russleville, they just might have a part or two on hand.

X2. Should have oodles of the Baggershield/ShowChrome units in stock.

unsub
03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Wish I was coming up there. New mexico and Texas in the near future.

Well, since you're asking. Any local Honda dealer can get you the OEM tall vented windshield for the F6B. Even if they have to order it it should only take a business day or two to get. It's dead simple to install. Try ordering it from a dealer that is a day away from you and by the time you get there it should be close to available.

I only suggest the OEM for you because a.) it's a great product. b.) it's easy to install using the original hardware. c.) you need something quickly no fuss no muss.

Installation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJM5OZeDZRw

CarolinaRider
03-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Hopefully you at least bought a full face helmet.

Congrats on the Bike and being able to enjoy a long ride from day one.

unsub
03-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Hopefully you at least bought a full face helmet.

Actually that's the best short term solution. Good thinking.

BuzzzPhotos
03-19-2014, 12:59 PM
If you ride close to North Texas you can stop at my house & I'll install an adjustable Baggershield for ya. Went to Madstad & like it.

98valk
03-19-2014, 07:02 PM
I am in Albuquerque and have an adjustable Bagger Shield that you can borrow (or buy).

It'll block the wind and let you enjoy your stereo.

Let me know if you are interested.

Lunatic Fringe
03-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Congratulations on your new bike. I've read some reviews that say the huge fairing with the tiny stock windshield is enough for relaxed turbulence free 80mph cruising and audible tunes at that speed. Others say the stock shield is useless which is what it looks like to me. Like many have said hit up a Honda shop and get a tall shield and enjoy that beauty. I'm envious of your long epic tour, take your time and enjoy.

1951vbs
03-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Congratulations on your new bike. I've read some reviews that say the huge fairing with the tiny stock windshield is enough for relaxed turbulence free 80mph cruising and audible tunes at that speed. Others say the stock shield is useless which is what it looks like to me. Like many have said hit up a Honda shop and get a tall shield and enjoy that beauty. I'm envious of your long epic tour, take your time and enjoy.

Lunatic,
I see you have a B-King avatar. I had a B-King with a V-Stream sheild and the wind managment on my F6B with stock sheild is very similar. I did however ride both with full face helmets. That, plus ear plugs would be my suggestion for the OP to get home.

Spanky
03-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and offers to loan/ sell things. Think I got it all sorted out. Fuul face with my Bluetooth headphones stopped the wind noise. I can wait and order one later.
Day 2 650mi. Damn Texas is big. But I enjoy riding again. The Harley took the fun out of it all. I'm not even sore. This thing likes the triple digits. I'm playing with the preload in the morning. :-)

Spanky
03-22-2014, 08:04 AM
2236 miles in 3 days. This bike rocks. Once I added the tall windshield this rode much better.

Scotrod
03-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Quite the machine, eh? :icon_wink:

We like 'em!!!! :yes:

Spanky
04-05-2015, 10:32 AM
What a difference a year makes... I found one of my first posts, and after reading the thread, I'm grateful to this forum and it's members. No where have I had people so willing to help, share their successes and failures, and sense of community. thanks Phantom and the Mods for all the hard work.

53driver
04-05-2015, 10:48 AM
What a difference a year makes... I found one of my first posts, and after reading the thread, I'm grateful to this forum and it's members. No where have I had people so willing to help, share their successes and failures, and sense of community. thanks Phantom and the Mods for all the hard work.

This place rocks.

Somehow I missed this post when I first joined...I thought I'd read them all, or maybe I dismissed it as "another windscreen" post....

What a great story!
You wanted something.
You had the resources.
The Office of Management & Budget (wife) approved.
You did it.
No regrets.
Much joy.
Well done.

Spanky
04-05-2015, 05:25 PM
The only regret, and don't take this the wrong way, my Texas friends, Is going the southern route home. Texas is Holy crap big, and for the most part boring as hell.

I think sometime this year, My wife and I will be going to Grand canyon/vegas, and coming back through yellowstone. Mighty long ride, but she can handle it. The bike too!

best of all we are going nowhere near texas..... JK, no ,not really.

srt8-in-largo
04-05-2015, 05:43 PM
You'll be disappointed if you're thinking the route through Kansas will be thrilling :icon_biggrin:

Old Ryder
04-05-2015, 06:17 PM

BINGO! :yes:

Westernbiker
04-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Well I must say you picked the best dealer in this area to get a bike from. They are not well stocked with after market goodies but all the staff I have ever had to deal with at Western Honda, were great! This is where I ended up after hitting two other Honda dealers that were closer to me to buy my F6B. Then I realized, HEY! I bought my 1991 CR500 dirt from these guys back in 1992 DUH!