PDA

View Full Version : Question on the 960 cowl lights

stepbill
03-20-2014, 07:36 AM
I watched the install video on Pedro's website and it showed a bracket that had to be dremmeled down a bit. Did anyone have to do this or were you able to just install the lights. Not on the cowl itself but it was a bracket behind the cowl. Thanks for your help.

Hornblower
03-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Maybe the safest bet is to give Pete a call to be sure. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I had to modify the black plastic part on the bike for mine to fit but it sounds like the 960's have been updated and that may no longer be required. A quote from the web site:

"NOW WITH NEW NO DRILL MOUNTINGS AND BRACKETS TO ALLOW EXTRA ADJUSTMENT FOR PERFECT FIT AND THE VARIATIONS IN SOME OF THE 2012+ COWLINGS"

My final advice...wait to hear from someone installing the current version or give Pete a call.

Pedro66
03-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Actually we changed the light bodies this year you will most likely get away without the dremmel and if you do its not a bracket its a plastic cover

stepbill
03-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Actually we changed the light bodies this year you will most likely get away without the dremmel and if you do its not a bracket its a plastic cover

Great and thanks for the outstanding service. Placed my order this morning and already received shipment notification.

Richie
03-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Hi, does anyone know how long the bulbs last on the 960 lights? Had to return mine for a replacement because of a bad bulb. It would be great if we could just get bulbs at a local store.

Not sure about grinding the bracket because i have not made the final placement, waiting for the new light.

Richie

stepbill
03-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Hi, does anyone know how long the bulbs last on the 960 lights? Had to return mine for a replacement because of a bad bulb. It would be great if we could just get bulbs at a local store.

Not sure about grinding the bracket because i have not made the final placement, waiting for the new light.

Richie

I thought that I read something were they are supposed to last for 30,000hours but knowing me, I could be wrong!

Pedro66
03-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Like any electronic device things can fail but LED's usually go 30000+ hours, if they are going to fail its usually pretty quickly they do not have replaceable parts by the user they need to come home

Elin in So. Cal.
03-20-2014, 05:11 PM
I installed these puppies myself and the toughest gig was heating the ^%&#@ plastic "decorative crap" plastic to get it to go around the perimeter of the cowling where the lights fit. If I had to do it over, I'd throw that plastic strip as far as I could and do without. The rest was rather plug and play, once I figured out which-a-way the metal brackets went that hold the lights in place.

Putting the cowling back on, the bolts that fit into the plastic above the engine were the dickens to get to go into and secure all the plastic. I don't know right now if I got 'em all seated property, but a lost bolt's a small thing to replace...

LOVE the lights and what they do for me when I ride after dark.