PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice: Applachian Trial, Gettysburg to Chrerokee

TwinCitiesRider
03-21-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm looking to ride the Tail of the Dragon in a few months and would like to ride the Applachian Trail from Cherokee NC to Gettysburg. I'm originating/ending in Minneapolis so I'm open to either north or south option. I'm getting grief from Google and Bing trying to map the route. Goign north I'm able to map through the Blue Ridge Parkway to Skyline Drive and then I'm not sure the best route going north from there? Thoughts?

Deer Slayer
03-21-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm looking to ride the Tail of the Dragon in a few months and would like to ride the Applachian Trail from Cherokee NC to Gettysburg. I'm originating/ending in Minneapolis so I'm open to either north or south option. I'm getting grief from Google and Bing trying to map the route. Goign north I'm able to map through the Blue Ridge Parkway to Skyline Drive and then I'm not sure the best route going north from there? Thoughts?

Just Google till you puke. :yikes: You will find more stuff than you can read. Good luck. :cheers: The Appalachian Trail is a hiking trail and not a road.

bubbaj1
04-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Your best bet is the blue ridge parkway, this will take you from PA to Cherokee. From there you will be about 1.5 hrs from deals gap aka the dragon. Hit me up if you need any info. I am local to the dragon.
Jordan

Steve 0080
04-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Deer Slayer.... +1...puttin knobies on the F6?

mike2000t
04-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Skyline is beautiful. Depending on what time of year you go you may want to hit the Blue Ridge parkway website and check for closures. Parts of the B R P do close from time to time.

The Jeb Stuart restaurant in Front Royal was good the last time I was there.

in addition to the Tail of the Dragon check out highway 28, Wayah Road, and wheels through time Museum in Maggie Valley North Carolina. The Cherohala skyway is also great. Be careful on 129 if you hit it on the weekend. Lots of traffic and cops.

NCF6B
04-19-2014, 06:38 PM
In addition to what others have suggested, you may want to consider riding the "Diamond Back" and the "Snake". Both are near the "Dragon". Dale and Matt Wachsler owners of the "Wheels through Time" museum are great to talk with and are there a lot of the time. If you're going to ride the Blue Ridge, be prepared for both temp and weather changes with different elevation changes. Ride safe!