PDA

View Full Version : Extended Trip on F6B

Bownut
03-22-2014, 07:09 AM
Has anyone made a 10 to 14 day trip including some camping on the Bike yet? How did it fare as far as comfort and storage room? I really love the looks of this Bike. Have an 02 VTX 1800 and LOVE IT,,,,and am looking to purchase another bike for my first "Extended Solo Trip".. Sorta thinking about a wing,,, never owned a Harley but who knows... (gonna keep the X)

I would really appreciate thoughts/comments... Will this SWEET BAD ASS BIKE fare well on a two week ride?? >>>---->

ddoug
03-22-2014, 10:50 AM
If you have ridden 2 weeks on your VTX , you'll wish you had the F6B long ago. If you have not test ridden a F6B , do it now!

motozeke
03-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I just wrapped an 11 day mixed riding/working trip (about half the time I was stopped at my work's HQ on business). So i had to pack my work backpack (laptop, gadgets, notebook etc.), a week's worth of work clothes and several days worth of riding clothes, plus my riding accessories (tools, cycle pump, cameras, chargers, rags, etc.). I always buy gifts for the kids and grandkids while away so I had to have room for that as well. Also, one of the bikes in our group got totaled out so I brought home his fuel canisters.

The F6B swallowed it all up admirably, but two critical pieces of gear made it possible: the Bike MP3 luggage rack and my Motofizz Medium Camping Bag. No way I could have done it with just the saddlebags.

The reason I picked the Motofizz bag is that I own and have used on a long trip the large Motofizz, this one fits perfectly on the Bike MP3 rack, and it is an outstanding motorcycle bag. Supremely well built and versatile. Expandable side to side and capable with the upper flap of expanding vertically. A nice pouch on the side for a water bottle. Easy access zips for caps/beanies and cleaning cloths.

Here's pics of my bike with the bag installed.

Aerostich sells it: http://www.aerostich.com/medium-motofizz-camping-seat-bag.html

I can say with 100% confidence that it would handle a 10-14 day trip. If you want to pack a lot of camping gear you might consider a second bag, or the large, or pack light. Sleeping bags and tents take up a lot of room.

I plan on taking a 10+ day trip around Labor Day to Crater Lake, the Columbia Gorge, Mt. St. Helens, Glacier, Yellowstone and the Tetons and the Bitterroots and that Motofizz medium bag will do the trick for sure.

Good luck and have fun!

Elin in So. Cal.
03-22-2014, 12:09 PM
I'd test ride this beast, like another has said. Only you can make the decision about whether or not this bike is right for you, and that's the bottom line. If you don't like buffeting wind, you'll probably change out the screen toot sweet.

Personally, I went to this one for trips because I LOVE the locking, HUGE bags and low CG for twisties. I came off a Harley, and that vibration was great at stop lights, but hard on MY chassis for long distances. I can put my doggage and luggage on the seat of the F6B and travel with more than I need, with no vibration and no worries.

If a test ride is what it takes, take one. Try wiping the grin off your face afterwards, or else the sales person will know there's another F6B owner soon.:beer3:

Bownut
03-22-2014, 12:54 PM
I just wrapped an 11 day mixed riding/working trip (about half the time I was stopped at my work's HQ on business). So i had to pack my work backpack (laptop, gadgets, notebook etc.), a week's worth of work clothes and several days worth of riding clothes, plus my riding accessories (tools, cycle pump, cameras, chargers, rags, etc.). I always buy gifts for the kids and grandkids while away so I had to have room for that as well. Also, one of the bikes in our group got totaled out so I brought home his fuel canisters.

The F6B swallowed it all up admirably, but two critical pieces of gear made it possible: the Bike MP3 luggage rack and my Motofizz Medium Camping Bag. No way I could have done it with just the saddlebags.

The reason I picked the Motofizz bag is that I own and have used on a long trip the large Motofizz, this one fits perfectly on the Bike MP3 rack, and it is an outstanding motorcycle bag. Supremely well built and versatile. Expandable side to side and capable with the upper flap of expanding vertically. A nice pouch on the side for a water bottle. Easy access zips for caps/beanies and cleaning cloths.

Here's pics of my bike with the bag installed.

Aerostich sells it: http://www.aerostich.com/medium-motofizz-camping-seat-bag.html

I can say with 100% confidence that it would handle a 10-14 day trip. If you want to pack a lot of camping gear you might consider a second bag, or the large, or pack light. Sleeping bags and tents take up a lot of room.

I plan on taking a 10+ day trip around Labor Day to Crater Lake, the Columbia Gorge, Mt. St. Helens, Glacier, Yellowstone and the Tetons and the Bitterroots and that Motofizz medium bag will do the trick for sure.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks Motozeke-- Exactly the info I am searching for. Very helpful, thanks for taking time to share. Have not ridden one yet, I am concerned about foot placement, I really love to stretch out on foot pegs. Much easier on my old creaking Back.... >>>---->

Bownut
03-22-2014, 12:59 PM
I'd test ride this beast, like another has said. Only you can make the decision about whether or not this bike is right for you, and that's the bottom line. If you don't like buffeting wind, you'll probably change out the screen toot sweet.

Personally, I went to this one for trips because I LOVE the locking, HUGE bags and low CG for twisties. I came off a Harley, and that vibration was great at stop lights, but hard on MY chassis for long distances. I can put my doggage and luggage on the seat of the F6B and travel with more than I need, with no vibration and no worries.

If a test ride is what it takes, take one. Try wiping the grin off your face afterwards, or else the sales person will know there's another F6B owner soon.:beer3:

Thaks Elin-- I have made several 3 and 4 day trips on the X, but never one this long.. I am very excited about it, that's why I am considering a new ride... Thanks.. >>>---->

motozeke
03-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Thanks Motozeke-- Exactly the info I am searching for. Very helpful, thanks for taking time to share. Have not ridden one yet, I am concerned about foot placement, I really love to stretch out on foot pegs. Much easier on my old creaking Back.... >>>---->

Oh trust me, this bike is supremely comfortable. You can get highway pegs and a backrest if that's your thing, but I think the foot pegs are exactly where they should be for all-around comfort.

Elin in So. Cal.
03-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Oh trust me, this bike is supremely comfortable. You can get highway pegs and a backrest if that's your thing, but I think the foot pegs are exactly where they should be for all-around comfort.

I kept my passenger pegs, and sometimes will shift a foot back to rest on one of those. I wonder if I will ever need highway pegs, because I am balanced when I ride this bike, unlike the Harley, where my feet were much further forward (attested to the "break" in the leather of my riding boots at the ankles).

This summer will tell...

Deer Slayer
03-22-2014, 08:36 PM
2243 miles, 5 days. No complaints on the F6B or weather. :041:

Texas TC
03-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Packing is the only real issue for extended travel. When I did my Tx-AZ round trip in November, I used the back seat for camping gear and and Laconia T-Bag luggage for my 10 days of clothing. I put net bungie over everything which allowed for rain suite and other small essentials to be added for quick retrieval as required. Great bike for travel.

Bownut
03-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Packing is the only real issue for extended travel. When I did my Tx-AZ round trip in November, I used the back seat for camping gear and and Laconia T-Bag luggage for my 10 days of clothing. I put net bungie over everything which allowed for rain suite and other small essentials to be added for quick retrieval as required. Great bike for travel.

Sweet ,,Thanks for the pics.. Did you use any type luggage rack? Any more pictures you have would be welcome and helpful..>>>---->

Texas TC
03-23-2014, 10:15 AM
I have the OEM Honda luggage rack. To attach the bag, I used soft ties to extend the width of the small footprint of the rack. Worked great. Sorry, those are the only pics I took.

terrydj
02-01-2015, 05:00 PM
I do a heap of overnighters and this is in line with the stuff for the new bike
Its a Dririder :icon_cool:

Link: http://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/Dririder-Explorer-Tail-Pack.html

tinkerman
02-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Bought an F6B last June in Vancouver.....ran it 3000 miles over 9 days or so to Sudbury Ontario and then in September ran it to the east coast another 2100 miles or so in 5 days. My wife was on the back. We didn't do any camping but probably could have found rom for a tent and sleeping bag.

We are getting to be old farts....(speaking for myself) so use to toughing it out a bit. But nothing tough about this bike. Flies with power to spare, brakes to match and my wife was pretty comfortable in the stock saddle. I threw my old sheep skin acorss the drivers seat a couple of time for the longer days.

I am all in on this machine.....can't say enough about it....really really like it.

tink

terrydj
02-01-2015, 06:52 PM
A +1 on the Sheepskin :icon_cool:

Steve 0080
02-02-2015, 10:48 AM
I prefer this method....

Spanky
02-02-2015, 03:27 PM
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mpo/4836576142.html

hunter1948
02-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Made a ten day camping trip early last year to ride some of the twisty roads in North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia.11091 I utilized a couple of canoe dry bags for my tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, ground cloth and some clothes. One saddle bag went for rain gear, jacket etc with the other being my cooking gear and misc. The dry bags were strapped on my bike length wise over the passenger seat and rack giving me a backrest. I used ROK straps to strap the bags, never work loose. Simple and worked well for me,

Trail-runner
02-02-2015, 08:53 PM
7000 miles in 17 days. One tail bag for clothes. Saddle bags for camping and riding gear and a couple things bungied to tail bag. The bike worked great! Left Southeast MO, Nebraska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, and Kansas.