PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on the Bars - 6327 Miles now...

Elin in So. Cal.
03-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Anyone else seeing visual damage to the finish on the black satin passenger bars? I've taken mine off at least once or twice, and bungied my luggage to it several times. Now I see some silver areas showing up.

Don't tell me Honda ducked and put a less-than-healthy finish on those metal parts. That means I just gotta paint THEM, too.

How do YOUR bike's bars look?

Deer Slayer
03-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Anyone else seeing visual damage to the finish on the black satin passenger bars? I've taken mine off at least once or twice, and bungied my luggage to it several times. Now I see some silver areas showing up.

Don't tell me Honda ducked and put a less-than-healthy finish on those metal parts. That means I just gotta paint THEM, too.

Mine look a bit sad as I secure my Orlib yellow bag to them. I am not sure paint will work as I use them for strap points. :cheers:

BillyDaFinn
03-22-2014, 09:14 PM

Yup, my cover rubbed on them, they're roached now, have to look at getting them recoated now.

1951vbs
03-23-2014, 10:55 AM

I strap my tour bag on my back seat and noticed it will rub on the passenger rails so I cover them with Snider's paint guardhttp://www.aerostich.com/snider-s-paint-guard.html when I travel. Because my bike is my daily transportation I also frequently carry boxes to FEDEX and other sundry items but use soft tie loops http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-frame-loops.html and keep a towel in the saddle bags that I put under the load. My rails still look good.

bobbyf6b
03-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Yep, finish scratches off too easily. I wonder if the high temp header paint will hold up better.

Thanks for the link 1951vbs, I just ordered some. :biggthumpup:

1951vbs
03-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Yep, finish scratches off too easily. I wonder if the high temp header paint will hold up better.

Header paint is not very resilient. Powder coat would be best, but what color?

bobbyf6b
03-23-2014, 12:42 PM

Black, of course!

Elin in So. Cal.
08-25-2014, 12:58 PM

Iridescent tourquoise! Oh dear, oh dear... yes, I'm going to repaint the Red Queen. If not this winter, then next. I know how long it takes now and I know I can do it more quickly.

Scotrod
08-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Iridescent tourquoise! Oh dear, oh dear... yes, I'm going to repaint the Red Queen. If not this winter, then next. I know how long it takes now and I know I can do it more quickly.

You do mean 'just the bars', correct?

GNW
08-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Checkout baking in the sun by hiflyer and you can see what he did

Trike lady
08-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Powder coating would hold up. When I had my Wing trike I had the luggage rack powder coated and used bungee cords to hold stuff on it and the rack always looked good.

rumble-b
08-25-2014, 09:24 PM
A friend of mine had this problem on his Victory Vision. He had the grab rails covered with with braided leather. It looks great and wears well too.

er.medic
08-25-2014, 09:59 PM
How about Line-X? I Line-X'ed some Tundra parts several years ago and it looked great. It's extremely durable and not too expensive.
I have been thinking about Line-X'ing some parts like the belly pan and the exhaust pipes. Some folks have done the whole bike :shrug:

http://www.linex.com/pages/2010/bedliners/

shooter
08-25-2014, 10:11 PM

Paint it black. It will be much faster.

shooter
08-25-2014, 10:15 PM
My girls jeans have studs on the rear pockets. Yep, it scratched the bars. Told her she can't wear the studded ones no more. Hard Chrome would look good. I know, but I'm old. Chrome is my favorite color.

bobbyf6b
08-25-2014, 10:48 PM
The Body Armor looks great.

http://youtu.be/Q7QMLJYeTKo

Elin in So. Cal.
08-26-2014, 12:18 AM
You do mean 'just the bars', correct?

No, dear one... I'm a-gonna bring out all the paints and redo the paint job with a different type of paint. And I will do a base coat in powder blue, and the use teal and tourquoise and purple and lilac and then green or blue-green pearl in the last coat before the clear.

And the bars will be powder-coated some weird way, too. Have to check out the local shops and see what they can do.

Not today tho'. Today I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to move to... leaving California in 18 months and have no clue where I'm going to end up before the fit hits the shan. Ideas??

Oh, I installed the CB on the Red Queen today. Even matched the SWRs. Ran a reverse pigtail to the battery tender (had to switch out the wires so I could use the part with the clamps so the pigtail would fit into the Bat Tend thingie. I'll put up some pics. Used a 36" firestick which I mounted on a bracket I made out of two joiners from Home Depot. It is mounted just off the edge of the rack. You'll see.... the Red Dragon Queen has a TAIL...

SmallPasture
08-26-2014, 07:03 AM
Not today tho'. Today I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to move to... leaving California in 18 months and have no clue where I'm going to end up before the fit hits the shan. Ideas??...

Texas, where else??? :2gwb921:

SmallPasture
08-26-2014, 07:08 AM
A friend of mine had this problem on his Victory Vision. He had the grab rails covered with with braided leather. It looks great and wears well too.

hmmmmm....can ya get picks of that Rumble? I can see it on a harley style bike, but having hard time w/ the 6??? Leather and plastic??? I like anything leather.

rumble-b
08-26-2014, 09:13 PM
hmmmmm....can ya get picks of that Rumble? I can see it on a harley style bike, but having hard time w/ the 6??? Leather and plastic??? I like anything leather.

I'll see what i can do.