PDA

View Full Version : Is Liquid Glass ok for matte paint?

GiddyupF6B
03-24-2014, 07:29 AM
I bought the Liquid Glass based on the advice of you guys here. I want to protect my brand new paint with the best stuff available and this appears to be it. I had someone tell me not to use it on a matte finish because it would "gloss it up" and defeat the point of the matte paint? My new paint obviously has a matte finish otherwise I wouldn't be posting this question so has anybody else heard similar feedback? I searched online and couldn't find an answer either way. I would love to have multiple layers of protection but not if it will effect the matte look that I just spent $$$$ on. I have a Turtle wax "black box" kit on the shelf just in case. Thanks......

Steve 0080
03-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Paint is Paint…I don’t know…try some in a place hard to see and find out…… the Black box is good for the plastic…I do use Liquid Glass on the shiny parts and it does not hurt the plastic parts hope that helps...

GiddyupF6B
03-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Paint is Paint…I don’t know…try some in a place hard to see and find out…… the Black box is good for the plastic…I do use Liquid Glass on the shiny parts and it does not hurt the plastic parts hope that helps...

Thanks Steve. I'm not worried about it hurting the paint I just don't want a super glossy finish on the matte paint. I love the satin/matte finish I have now and I don't want it to look any other way. I was planning on doing the back side of the front fender first to see, I just wanted to see if anyone knew either way.

Steve 0080
03-24-2014, 08:14 AM
WOW!!! to early for me…never thought about the matt finish then having a gloss finish!!!!…..I would say no….only one way to find out!

bob109
03-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Liquid Glass on all "painted surfaces" and 303 Protectant on all "black matt surfaces" and you will be "golden". Unlike other waxes/polishes LG leaves no residue but why waste the product when there's a alternative for the "matt black"!

GiddyupF6B
03-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Liquid Glass on all "painted surfaces" and 303 Protectant on all "black matt surfaces" and you will be "golden". Unlike other waxes/polishes LG leaves no residue but why waste the product when there's a alternative for the "matt black"!

I am referring to paint protection and a glossy finish over my sexy azz matte paint with Liquid Glass. I have no interest in the 303 product only Liquid Glass. It would not be a "waste" if protects the very expensive paint job I just paid for.

Slingah
03-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Liquid Glass is a "high gloss" finish as stated in the products description. Therefore if you apply it over your matte finish it will then become glossy. So I would say no. Matte is matte, if that's the look you're looking for, let it be.
I hope this helps.

Texas TC
03-24-2014, 09:44 AM
I hope you get a definitive answer to this question. Not just Liquid Glass, but any wax on a matte finish. I have wondered how one would protect a matte finish ever since those paint jobs became popular a few years ago. I have asked dealers and got everything from use any wax to don't wax matte paint. Curious what your painter would say.

bob109
03-24-2014, 10:30 AM
I am referring to paint protection and a glossy finish over my sexy azz matte paint with Liquid Glass. I have no interest in the 303 product only Liquid Glass. It would not be a "waste" if protects the very expensive paint job I just paid for.

Forgive me for making the suggestion:icon_doh: A "matt finish", wether it be painted or impregnated into the "tupperware" surface, is a "matt finish". As has been mentioned, LG produces a mirror finish! Your bike! Your paint! When you query folks for input/opinions, you'll get just that:icon_wink:

GiddyupF6B
03-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Forgive me for making the suggestion:icon_doh: A "matt finish", wether it be painted or impregnated into the "tupperware" surface, is a "matt finish". As has been mentioned, Lyhroduces a mirror finish! Your bike! Your paint! When you query folks for input/opinions, you'll get just that:icon_wink:

And some sensitive ones too I see! I appreciate your feedback and wasn't trying to be a jerk. I have a $31 can of polish and just want to know whether or not I will be able to use it. Thanks for your replies .

Scotrod
03-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Maybe test a spot under the seat if it's concealed from view.d

Retired Army
03-24-2014, 11:29 AM
What type of paint was used for the clear coat? if it was earthen you all ready have some good protection.

Dave Ritsema
03-24-2014, 11:34 AM
I use liquid glass on all my vehicles. That being said I would not use it on a matte finish. When I was at the local HD dealer awhile ago I asked how they cared for the matte finishes and the salesman said wash it and thats it. Any rubbing, polishing, etc. would ruin the finish.

He said that they looked cool but most customers told him they would never buy a bike again with a matte finish because it was more difficult to keep looking good than a traditional finish. He also said if you get a fine scratch in a smooth surface you may be able to polish it out, but the matte finishes have to be repainted. Knowing HD they may have some special potion to protect the matte paints, you may want to stop by your local dealer.

Scotrod
03-24-2014, 11:39 AM
When I was at the local HD dealer awhile ago I asked how they cared for the matte finishes and the salesman said wash it and thats it. Any rubbing, polishing, etc. would ruin the finish.

He said that they looked cool but most customers told him they would never buy a bike again with a matte finish because it was more difficult to keep looking good than a traditional finish. He also said if you get a fine scratch in a smooth surface you may be able to polish it out, but the matte finishes have to be repainted.

That's what I had heard as well.

Elin in So. Cal.
03-24-2014, 11:39 AM
...I would love to have multiple layers of protection but not if it will effect the matte look that I just spent $$$$ on.

OK, painter here. Paint comes in three finishes (generally)--matte, satin and gloss. Variations on this are found by mixing them. The way these finishes are created is by the smoothness of the final layer. Anything not gloss is going to have some texture to it, defined by the layer on top that bonds with either flat particles (glossy) or rougher texture particles (matte).

Anything you do to "fill in" the spaces in the rougher particles is going to shiny up the surface. You may not be removing any of the finish (as in a polishing compound), but you WILL be adding a fill layer with anything you put on the surface. That has the distinct potential of "shinning up" the finish.

That said, there is a reason you find statements on instructions leading you to "Test this on a hidden surface prior to using".

One person's goal is another's nightmare. You already have the LG, so test a small spot in an unobtrusive place. And buy waxes designed for matte surfaces, else you'll shine up that nice paint job.

ED209
03-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Any wax on flat paint will make the paint look like an orange peel paint job. As far as I know that is. :shrug:

I waxed a flat job once and it messed it up. :yikes:

Maybe these guys can help.

dps4
03-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Google it. They say no way should you use any wax on matte paint. Very little should be put on it

AWESOMEF6B
03-24-2014, 07:03 PM
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?54578-do-you-wax-matte-black-paint

Phantom
03-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Google it. They say no way should you use any wax on matte paint. Very little should be put on it

I agree , as Elin stated above ...... residue will fill in the porous surface and unless you remove the wax from the matte finish with a tooth brush, you will always see residue. A brush does NOT always remove the residue from the small crevices.

If it were ME ... NO WAX on matte finishes.

GiddyupF6B
03-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies! It looks like it's a no go.....now I have a $31 gold can I can't use! Lol

Ericb445
03-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Many people don't keep track of members and all their posts.....Many may not know or realize that you had your bike custom painted Matt-Black."very cool looking BTW" But as some said, try in a non visual spot to see what it does.. Me personally would just use a detail spray cleaner on it..I love the Lucas oil slick mist for my bike, but mine is just the boring shiny black. Any product you use I would try in a small spot, just to be safe.

Alberta Beagle
03-24-2014, 11:33 PM
I would think the best person to ask would be the shop that painted your bike.
No if they say not to use it I will buy your can of Liquid Glass. Send me a P.M. If you want to sell it.

Beagle

Steve 0080
03-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Here ya go…..http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIQUID-GLASS-ULTIMATE-AUTO-POLISH-FINISH-16-OZ-FAST-SHIPPING-/261432583606?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cde98a5b6&vxp=mtr

GiddyupF6B
03-25-2014, 07:34 AM
Here ya go…..http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIQUID-GLASS-ULTIMATE-AUTO-POLISH-FINISH-16-OZ-FAST-SHIPPING-/261432583606?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cde98a5b6&vxp=mtr

Thanks Steve......that showed me that I paid $10 too much for a gold can that I can't use! :icon_doh: Lol..... I'm going to try to return it to Advance Auto ($29.99+tax)....if they won't take it back since I had to special order it then one of you is going to get a sweet deal on this! Thanks for all the help guys! :icon_redface:

F6B-RICH
03-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies! It looks like it's a no go.....now I have a $31 gold can I can't use! Lol

I will take it off yours hands LOL .batman-smilie.

GiddyupF6B
03-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Returned the gold can to Advance auto for my $30 refund....I did a bunch of research and got some answers on the care of my new paint. I didn't realize a matte finish took a certain cleaning and maintaining process different from gloss paints....I just liked the way it looked.

TeamSix
03-25-2014, 09:59 AM
I use Permanon Super-Matte. Specifically designed for matte paint.

http://www.autogeek.net/permanon-super-matte-finish-protection.html

GiddyupF6B
03-25-2014, 10:23 AM
I use Permanon Super-Matte. Specifically designed for matte paint.

http://www.autogeek.net/permanon-super-matte-finish-protection.html

That stuff is expensive! I will do some digging and read the reviews...thanks for the suggestion! What is your experience with this product? How is the finish and protection? More importantly...is it worth the money? Thanks...

Phantom
03-25-2014, 02:19 PM

Thank You, just purchased 2 cans .notworthy.

dickiedeals
03-25-2014, 09:00 PM
That stuff is expensive! I will do some digging and read the reviews...thanks for the suggestion! What is your experience with this product? How is the finish and protection? More importantly...is it worth the money? Thanks...

Its way worth the money and a little goes a long way. I have 5 coats on and 3/4" of a can still to left. The finish is not wax. Its a carbon. Super hard. One caution is to be sure the finish is clean before you put it on because you will seal in dirt and its difficult to get it out later.Use back and forth strokes no round and round .Read the directions on the can. For our bikes without clear coat its the only way to go................Dickie

GiddyupF6B
03-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Its way worth the money and a little goes a long way. I have 5 coats on and 3/4" of a can still to left. The finish is not wax. Its a carbon. Super hard. One caution is to be sure the finish is clean before you put it on because you will seal in dirt and its difficult to get it out later.Use back and forth strokes no round and round .Read the directions on the can. For our bikes without clear coat its the only way to go................Dickie

You have a matte black paint job? I have clear coat on my paint...

mercator1
03-27-2014, 01:12 AM
I see Honda of Russellville has an all matte black F6B on ebay. That's what I had been planning to get them to do for me, and I think I like the look of it. Everything except they painted the windscreen matte black also. Not a fan of that. Too bad nobady makes red line motorcycle tires.

1951vbs
03-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Too bad nobody makes red line motorcycle tires.

Now that this thread is jacked; I have modified a few tires to look like Redlines on HD Electra Glides by using a red permanant magic marker on the white walls. Problem with the GL 1800 is I don't think they make any white walls for them:shrug:

I know the look you are going for and you could get a similar but updated look by going with red rim tape like they put on many sport bikes or you could have the rim pinstriped!

Ericb445
03-27-2014, 06:49 PM
I had a guy I know that paints the old school pinstripes, do my rims red. The 6 is the third black bike I have had him do this to.

1951vbs
03-27-2014, 07:07 PM
I had a guy I know that paints the old school pinstripes, do my rims red. The 6 is the third black bike I have had him do this to.

Photos would be nice!