PDA

View Full Version : Some of my favorite roads.

mike2000t
03-24-2014, 08:19 PM
I was just sitting here daydreaming about my trip this summer and thought I would share some of my favorite roads.

Hwy 276 south and north of Brevard, NC

215 north of Rosman, NC towards Waynesville, NC (and over to Maggie Valley to Wheels Through Time)

178 south of Rosman,NC

28 south and north of Franklin, NC and on to the Dragon. I dont like the dragon - too busy.

Wayah Road west of Franklin, NC - one of my favorites.

Wolfpen Gap Road in GA. Along with almost all the roads in north GA.

Charlies Creek Road north of Cashires, NC just off Canada Rd (281). It intersects with 215.

Blue Ridge Parkway.

226A around Little Switzerland, NC.

421 the snake.

The worlds shortest tunnel - Backbone Rock. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55331-d1546643-r44439423-Backbone_Rock-Shady_Valley_Tennessee.html

hiflyer
03-24-2014, 09:07 PM
You're going to have to get a Rocky Mountain High!

bobbyf6b
03-24-2014, 11:42 PM
My son is at Fort Bragg, NC. I wish I could get out there for some riding.

mike2000t
03-25-2014, 08:50 PM
One day I hope to go west.

FlaMike
03-26-2014, 05:39 PM
One day I hope to go west.

I'm jealous of YOUR riding choices. You have some of the sweetest riding on the east coast.
Ridden on at least half of those roads and that whole area is full of nice riding, just pick a direction.

CarolinaRider
03-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Let me know Bobby and I will show you around this time.

projectapollo
03-27-2014, 09:36 AM
The blue ridge parkway has been my favorite so far. Pic from my three day VTX trek last September.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/projectapollo1972/c63e2a22a350fbde6804852c8c14eea1_zps788da25b.jpg

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/projectapollo1972/261a430d42200daa85d6b1de6f09cfce_zpsafaa008e.jpg

CheckpointChcky
05-17-2014, 07:04 PM
I was just sitting here daydreaming about my trip this summer and thought I would share some of my favorite roads.

215 north of Rosman, NC towards Waynesville, NC (and over to Maggie Valley to Wheels Through Time)

178 south of Rosman,NC

28 south and north of Franklin, NC and on to the Dragon. I dont like the dragon - too busy.

Charlies Creek Road north of Cashires, NC just off Canada Rd (281). It intersects with 215.

Blue Ridge Parkway.

421 the snake.

The worlds shortest tunnel - Backbone Rock. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55331-d1546643-r44439423-Backbone_Rock-Shady_Valley_Tennessee.html

Did the 226A two years ago...was a great ride.

glryder98
05-18-2014, 10:22 PM
All great roads! Even better because they are all in my back yard! Pickens SC "Where the mountains begin"

Steve 0080
05-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Mike….come to the rally in Aug and you can run a ride on a couple of your fav’s!!!

jkelley
05-19-2014, 03:29 PM
All great roads! Even better because they are all in my back yard! Pickens SC "Where the mountains begin"

They are my yard! LOL

Big Dawg
05-22-2014, 05:37 PM

178 south of Rosman,NC

Blue Ridge Parkway.

421 the snake.

There are a few more around Franklin that you forgot to mention. Ellijay road, Walnut creek, Pine creek, Horse cove road, Then there is the cherohala Skyway, Hwy 209 (the rattler) from Waynesville to Hot Springs. Oh, what about Hwy 80 that is over by 226A? and 221 from little Switzerland to Boone? , 143 over Roan Mountain just to mention a couple of more! Down in Georgia, there is War Woman road, Burton Dam road, 197 around Lake Burton, Richard Russell Parkway (Brand new pavement on the southern half). US 129 over Blood mountain, and 60 from/thru Suches and all the way up to Morganton.

Marauderm
05-22-2014, 07:58 PM
There are a few more around Franklin that you forgot to mention. Ellijay road, Walnut creek, Pine creek, Horse cove road, Then there is the cherohala Skyway, Hwy 209 (the rattler) from Waynesville to Hot Springs. Oh, what about Hwy 80 that is over by 226A? and 221 from little Switzerland to Boone? , 143 over Roan Mountain just to mention a couple of more! Down in Georgia, there is War Woman road, Burton Dam road, 197 around Lake Burton, Richard Russell Parkway (Brand new pavement on the southern half). US 129 over Blood mountain, and 60 from/thru Suches and all the way up to Morganton.

I assume you have been on highway 20 between Hwy 101 and Fort Bragg California and the Hwy one ride that took you to that redwood tree you rode through in the picture for your profile picture.....great roads......

mike2000t
05-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Steve,

I wish I could. I already have a ride planned for the Marion VA area the last week over July.

Big Dog, those look good. I will have to try them.

Gumby
05-28-2014, 05:49 AM
Million dollar highway from Durango through Ouray, CO.

Chief Joseph pass

Beartooth highway

The road to the sun is nice, but packed with traffic.

Tunnel of trees M119 in Michigan.

I've stumbled on some roads in the Ozarks, but I doubt I could find them again.

motozeke
05-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Get thyself to Northern California and see how that list changes. That place is moto heaven.

kjelders
05-28-2014, 10:15 AM
And if you get to the state of WA, try some of these roads:

Hwy 20 from Anacortes to Pateros over Washington Pass
Ride up to Artist Point, Mt. Baker
Loop around Mt Rainier (includes Sunrise and Paradise)
West side of Mt St Helens
East side of Mt. St Helens (Windy Ridge)
Hurricane Ridge, Olympic Peninsula
Loop Hwy 101 on the Olympic Peninsula
Deception Pass Bridge over to Whidbey Island
White Pass from Morton to Yakima
Hwy 97 from Brewster to Wenatchee
Hwy 12 over Stevens Pass to Leavenworth

....and lots more.

Bunny
07-18-2016, 01:55 PM
hello all. . . . just wondering your thoughts on highway to the sun road in Glacier National Park. i was wondering for those of you who have done this road - how long did it take you to do the road - its 50 miles long but with stops and all how long did it take you. is it dangerous road - i am a bit nervous about it because i have not seen it - i've done Needles highway - what is the comparison. if any of you can give me tips or what i should watch out for to be prepared for this road please let me know - i am leaving next week. thank-you....

Bunny

wjduke
07-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Steve,

I wish I could. I already have a ride planned for the Marion VA area the last week over July.

Big Dog, those look good. I will have to try them.

I did the Back of the Dragon, which starts ( or ends ) in Marion. Challenging for me being from Mass., but I loved that ride.

jm21ddd15
07-18-2016, 08:19 PM
hello all. . . . just wondering your thoughts on highway to the sun road in Glacier National Park. i was wondering for those of you who have done this road - how long did it take you to do the road - its 50 miles long but with stops and all how long did it take you. is it dangerous road - i am a bit nervous about it because i have not seen it - i've done Needles highway - what is the comparison. if any of you can give me tips or what i should watch out for to be prepared for this road please let me know - i am leaving next week. thank-you....

Bunny

Relax. Your biggest obstacle would most likely be snow, and that depends when you go. The road itself is fine. Remember, this is the major route thru a National Park. They will close the road if there is a rock slide, etc. I was thru there in July a couple years ago. There was no snow on the road, but way up top on some of the peaks, there was snow. Some younger guys were carrying skiis up them, so they could ski down. Looked like a lot of work. There is a Nature/Visitor center up top, and nice a hiking trail, that leads to a really cool lake. It's one of the highest lakes anywhere, by elevation. But, the road is good, and the scenery is spectacular! Go and enjoy it!