PDA

View Full Version : gps

chicotai
03-26-2014, 06:43 PM
What is the best place to install a gps on a F6B ?

FlaMike
03-26-2014, 07:19 PM
I've currently have mine mounted on a ram mount on the right switch control. Not real happy with it as it's too close and not in my line of sight.

I was told about this one, seen it on 2 different Wings and I think I prefer this setup. Not cheap, but what is.
http://electrokinetics.com/ek_gps_mount.htm

Another choice.....
http://wingstuff.com/products/20071-combo-accessory-mount-bar?context=handlebar_accessories-f6b

1951vbs
03-26-2014, 07:26 PM
What is the best place to install a gps on a F6B ?

I like things symmetrical so the glove box works as a good mount.

chicotai
03-26-2014, 07:35 PM
:icon_biggrin: great ideas

hiflyer
03-26-2014, 08:07 PM

I had my phone duo-locked in that position and looked and worked perfectly via blue tooth. Problem was my pikepass, duolocked, under the lid quit working. I need to move the pikepass to a location under the front cowl I guess. Had that thing off so many times, I have been procrastinizing.

F6B-RICH
03-26-2014, 08:14 PM
I wanted mine more in the face.Did not want to look down to look at it.So I did this .batman-smilie.

CaptRob
03-26-2014, 09:14 PM

I like that is it on for good? Velcro?

1951vbs
03-26-2014, 09:32 PM
I like that is it on for good? Velcro?

The carrier is through bolted to the glove box cover. I purchased an extra cover if I want to run without it or for when I sell the bike, but have never used it.

Steve 0080
03-26-2014, 10:42 PM
http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=173

1951vbs
03-27-2014, 10:12 AM
My favorite is this Farkle Shelf made by Windbender, but I would have to buy a taller sheild than the 6" I am running now:

F6BPDX
03-27-2014, 12:41 PM
I have mine mounted to my Madstad base shield. I drilled holes for the square ram mount and then used 1/4" well nuts to mount the ram ball to the under side of the base shield. Just normal RAM configuration out from there. Puts it dead center and just a quick glance down from where my eyes already are. It essentially gave me the farkle shelf setup without having a windbender.

Jabbasan
04-13-2014, 08:21 AM
I have mine mounted to my Madstad base shield. I drilled holes for the square ram mount and then used 1/4" well nuts to mount the ram ball to the under side of the base shield. Just normal RAM configuration out from there. Puts it dead center and just a quick glance down from where my eyes already are. It essentially gave me the farkle shelf setup without having a windbender.

Hi F6BPDX,
I have the same windshield. Do you have a picture of your setup with the GPS ?

jaygollner
04-25-2014, 02:38 PM
I have been searching through the threads and am having a hard time finding a good way to get power to my handlebar mounted GPS, I put the aux plug in the left hatch but it appears that I will have to cut the seal on the hatch door to route a cable to the GPS. I am thinking that if I could find a Y power adapter that could power the hatch outlet and one on the handlebars that would be good, but I have been unable to find anything so far. If anybody would like to provide a little guidance as to sources for cables and maybe a good option for a handlebar outlet that will not interfere with the clutch mounted ram mount I would love to hear about it or see some photos.

F6BPDX
04-25-2014, 03:19 PM
I have been searching through the threads and am having a hard time finding a good way to get power to my handlebar mounted GPS, I put the aux plug in the left hatch but it appears that I will have to cut the seal on the hatch door to route a cable to the GPS. I am thinking that if I could find a Y power adapter that could power the hatch outlet and one on the handlebars that would be good, but I have been unable to find anything so far. If anybody would like to provide a little guidance as to sources for cables and maybe a good option for a handlebar outlet that will not interfere with the clutch mounted ram mount I would love to hear about it or see some photos.

Call the guys over at http://www.electricalconnection.com They will make you whatever you need, and have plenty of options for the fairing plug. I believe my splitter cost me $15.

TitansFan
04-25-2014, 05:05 PM

Rather than cut through the seal on the left cubby hatch, I drilled a hole about 1/2" wide through the top of the lid (near the edge but away from the lips & seal). It's just big enough for the small end of the GPS power plug to pass through. When I'm not using the power outlet, I have a plastic trim cap that snaps into the hole. It blends in well enough that it's hard to notice. I mounted the GPS via a RAM mount on the side of the center section where the ignition key goes.

jaygollner
04-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Rather than cut through the seal on the left cubby hatch, I drilled a hole about 1/2" wide through the top of the lid (near the edge but away from the lips & seal). It's just big enough for the small end of the GPS power plug to pass through. When I'm not using the power outlet, I have a plastic trim cap that snaps into the hole. It blends in well enough that it's hard to notice. I mounted the GPS via a RAM mount on the side of the center section where the ignition key goes.

I am going to give that some serious thought, it looks like I will be wandering the aisles of the local hardware store tomorrow. And thanks for the input.

royr
04-25-2014, 08:44 PM
I run my power line to the GPS thru the headset wire slot next to the left glove box. I do not use my headset, so I removed the headset and placed it under the glove box. But if your GPS wire is not too big, you can run it with the headset wire. I did it on my 2012 GL1800.

BACA
04-25-2014, 09:06 PM
For what it's worth, I wired my GPS to my right handlebar (attached to the brake reservoir with a RAM mount) using the heated glove electrical connection under the right lid.......there is a hot wire and a ground (be sure to check them with a volt meter), that provides power to the right and left grip heaters. Then ran the wire up the handlebars. I don't have the heated grips so I didn't need the connection anyway!

F6BPDX
04-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Hi F6BPDX,
I have the same windshield. Do you have a picture of your setup with the GPS ?

Sorry it took so long, but yes here they are:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/mlinkletter/photo2.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/mlinkletter/photo1.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/mlinkletter/photo3.jpg