PDA

View Full Version : About to hit the road ....

goldtahoe
03-27-2014, 04:58 PM
I'm planning a solo trip from Chicago to Roanoke,Virginia to visit my sister... I have a couple of different routes I'm thinking of taking. Any recommendations on paths of travel, stops to do, people to see. Trip will be April 30th departure from Chicago and May3rd embarking on return to Chicago. Curious to get recommended paths from you guys ... i was thinking of heading due east out of the gate with planned overnight in Pittsburgh area ... then head south ...but I'll have keys, gas and plenty of music to keep me rolling ...

choptop
03-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Sounds like fun, as it is snowing here and a little over an inch in the last 3 hours, I am planning on taking off Easter weekend for a couple of days for the 6's maiden ride.

projectapollo
03-27-2014, 07:24 PM
I'd Catch the skyline drive at front royal VA and take it through the national park onto the blue ridge parkway down to Roanoke. If you have time, do the return by continuing south on BRP to the end. Up to Knoxville, north on 75, to 64, to 65 up to Chicago. You would do the entire skyline drive and BRB. A ride of a lifetime.

1951vbs
03-27-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm planning a solo trip from Chicago to Roanoke,Virginia to visit my sister... I have a couple of different routes I'm thinking of taking. Any recommendations on paths of travel, stops to do, people to see. Trip will be April 30th departure from Chicago and May3rd embarking on return to Chicago. Curious to get recommended paths from you guys ... i was thinking of heading due east out of the gate with planned overnight in Pittsburgh area ... then head south ...but I'll have keys, gas and plenty of music to keep me rolling ...

Not sure of anything worth seeing on direct routes between point A and B. It is really nice when you get close to Roanoke.
I suggest 2 different routes, go out through Pittsburg if you want and back through Indy or Cinncy.