PDA

View Full Version : No love for the stock mini shield.

projectapollo
03-27-2014, 07:34 PM
The small stock shield gets no love. But I like it. Although, I use a full face helmet so that helps. I really like the unconstructed view of the road and the cool look of the bike. Anyone else like this configuration? Here is my 6 after an twilight local ride tonight. Very refreshing.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/projectapollo1972/36994bb322fab442f6cb1affbccdbab0_zps97210168.jpg

F6B-RICH
03-27-2014, 07:42 PM
I also like the stock shorty.I got my F6B in June and used the shorty all year until it got cold.Then used the BaggerShield for Nov and Dec.I now have the electric WindBender and have the best of both worlds.Drop it low for the summer and raise it up when its cold out .batman-smilie.

gwprime
03-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Do you get wind buffeting with the short wind screen? I have not picked up my bike yet, I have been look at wind shields as I also wear a full face when riding

Bama Bagger
03-27-2014, 08:50 PM
My stocker came off within three weeks of buying the Bagger and installed the BaggerShield which I love! :icon_mrgreen:

Scotrod
03-27-2014, 08:50 PM
1951vbs likes the OEM shield.

gwprime
03-27-2014, 08:58 PM
My stocker came off within three weeks of buying the Bagger and installed the BaggerShield which I love! :icon_mrgreen:

What size shield did you go with?

bobbyf6b
03-27-2014, 09:02 PM
I really liked the stock shield at first. It's great with a full face helmet. Nothing but clean buffet free air (unless you're behind a semi). But the drawback is not being able to hear the radio very well, if at all. For my commuting I like to wear a half helmet so I can hear my radio well and drink coffee or water, so I prefer a taller shield. My current favorite is a used GW shield that I cut down to 15 inches high. It's low enough to see over but also wider to keep ear buffeting to a minimum.

I will put the stocker back on for some rides this summer. I like being able to switch back and forth.

J.F.Baird
03-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Baggershield without the top section on is great and I could use the top section if the need comes up. I did not like the look of the fasteners or the upper section so I tried it with out first.
I went to hardware store got some cool black covers for the holes. windshield seems just right for me I am 6 foot tall. The extra width really helps with the noise in the helmet.

projectapollo
03-28-2014, 08:34 AM
I really liked the stock shield at first. It's great with a full face helmet. Nothing but clean buffet free air (unless you're behind a semi). But the drawback is not being able to hear the radio very well, if at all. For my commuting I like to wear a half helmet so I can hear my radio well and drink coffee or water, so I prefer a taller shield. My current favorite is a used GW shield that I cut down to 15 inches high. It's low enough to see over but also wider to keep ear buffeting to a minimum.

I will put the stocker back on for some rides this summer. I like being able to switch back and forth.

It's not a commuter for me, just weekend pleasure rides, very little interstate. So, the little shield opens the road up for me without needing the full wing living room bubble. Even with the 11" baggershield I have, the radio sounds terrible any any reasonable speed. Only good for talk radio. So I use in ear buds wired into the intercom/radio for my iPod.

On the other hand, I am looking for a bigger shield for cold weather ops or for long touring. I'm planning a long BRP trek and would use the big shield for that. But for warmer weekend day trips, I'm liking the shortie.

goldtahoe
03-28-2014, 08:43 AM

Took you 3 weeks huh ... my shield came off before I left the dealer ... i brought my purchased bagger shield with me to the dealer and had them install it. Done! I love it .. i can ride low when i'm in the city ... and ride high when I hit the road ...

projectapollo
03-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Anyone else like the small shield? I'm trying to generate some new appreciation for it.

goldtahoe
03-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Anyone else like the small shield? I'm trying to generate some new appreciation for it.

You're on your own ... LOL .. enjoy!

1951vbs
03-28-2014, 08:56 AM
1951vbs likes the OEM shield.

Yes I do!:lolup:

I also know everyone has their own criteria for what works best factoring in wind/rain/cold protection, buffeting, heat build-up, audio and looks. What's best for you depends on what climate you ride in, gear choice (full-face or not), audio (ear buds/helmet speakers or not), past experience and looks.

I bought my F6B for several reasons but very high on the list was LOOKS! IMO the taller the wind-shield the more it looks like a Goldwing without a trunk. My past experience with short or "sport" wind screens has been very good concerning buffeting and the stock F6B screen gives me no buffet. Short screens do however put your helmet in the full wind stream and there is enough wind noise that you can not hear the radio well at speed. Again IMO you will not be happy with the stock screen unless you wear; a full-face helmet with ear plugs or ear buds. Even though I ride and commute year round rain and cold protection are not a factor for me with my full face helmet. Full face helmets are hot in the summer so the full breeze is welcome in those conditions.

As this thread shows I am not the only one that likes the short screen but definitely in the minority. No problem for me.:icon_biggrin:

F6B-RICH
03-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Do you get wind buffeting with the short wind screen? I have not picked up my bike yet, I have been look at wind shields as I also wear a full face when riding

I did not get any wind buffeting with the shorty shield.I am 6' 2" and wear a full face helmet .batman-smilie.

Dmoon64
03-28-2014, 11:35 AM
I like the shorty shield right where it is. On a shelf in my garage.

It was 36 on my ride in this morning though. My bagger shield is fine for now.

Scotrod
03-28-2014, 12:26 PM

LOL! Judging by the shield in your avatar, you are not 'leading by example'!!! :crackup:

CaptRob
03-28-2014, 03:35 PM
"busted":popcorn:'popcorn and coke'
LOL! Judging by the shield in your avatar, you are not 'leading by example'!!! :crackup:

projectapollo
03-28-2014, 04:33 PM
"busted":popcorn:'popcorn and coke'

See OP.

mike2000t
03-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Did not care for the stock shield at all. Baggershield 17" and now I can hear the radio up to 70 mph. I do like the look so it might go back on come summer time, but thats a long shot. Wind hits me hard from the upper chest on up.

Mustangjake
03-28-2014, 05:22 PM
I have no love for the stock windshield rode home with mine replaced the next day.
I wanted them to give my money back what a waste of plastic!

CaptRob
03-28-2014, 06:58 PM
See OP.

I did just kidding:poke:

yellow rex
03-28-2014, 07:14 PM
I have 5800 miles still have stock windshield on.

gwprime
03-28-2014, 07:21 PM
I think I am going to plasti Dip the short wind shield with black matte for a while until i decide what other shield I am going to purchase

Scotrod
03-28-2014, 08:26 PM
:icon_biggrin:

I get tons of smooth clean air with the OEM shield. That's the good part! :yes:

Just not much for all the wind noise and the 'human parachute' effect,, 'windy'

1951vbs
03-28-2014, 08:47 PM
I think I am going to plasti Dip the short wind shield with black matte for a while until i decide what other shield I am going to purchase

That could look cool. I thought about tinting the stock screen but bought a shorty dark tint Cee Baileys instead.

Still the minority but there are a few of us that like the stock screen!:lolup:

GONRDN
03-28-2014, 08:56 PM
I love the stock shield, it just don't love me.

rumble-b
03-29-2014, 06:07 AM
I'm another one who likes the short shield. It doesn't get too cold here so that doesn't become a problem.

projectapollo
03-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Corrected! Let's hear some more love.

Scotrod
03-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Corrected! Let's hear some more love.

NOW WE'RE TALKIN!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

I have the OEM shield in the attic. Pretty good chance it might see some short-term service this Summer. (Shorter rides w/earplugs)

grendl
04-28-2014, 08:47 PM
I just got my bike today so cant really say from experience on this bike on the stock shield,but I love the way it looks, have always used short shields on my bikes or had them cut down. I like the song of the wind more than the radio but we'll see as time (and long miles) goes on.
I wear a full face helmet so not bothered by wind,rain or the occasional hail storm..
I am thinking to replace the stock clear with a darker shorty though .....excuse me, I need to go look in the garage again,be right back :icon_lol:

waynerock66
09-25-2015, 08:40 PM
I love the look of the factory shield. As stated earlier, that's part of the look that caused me to fall in love with the B. I have what I believe to be an F4 20" (?) shield with vent the previous owner had installed. It's going to be great as the weather turns cooler. He also gave me the factory shorty and it will get some use during warmer weather. Wearing a full face modular helmet and coming from a naked sport bike, 1986 Yamaha Fazer, the amount of wind I get with the shorty shield is still a fraction of what I'm used to. Add me to the list of those like the factory shield.

seadog
09-25-2015, 08:51 PM
As mine was gone before the deluxe ever left the dealership. A fine 19 inch bagger shield was in its place and the shorty is still on the shelf where I put it on its return to my home.

BadDawg
09-25-2015, 09:05 PM
The short shield was one of the key things that drew me to the B. Since I haven't had a shield on my last several bikes I have no desire to change. I love the look, I love the wind.

Old Ryder
09-26-2015, 07:04 AM
I rode mine home November of last year with the OEM installed at a temp of about 70 degrees for 360 miles of I-95 with my 3/4 helmet. Trying to hear the audio was a true waste at anything above 40 mph. So it comes down to if you like the looks or tunes, but you can't have both without earbuds.

waynerock66
09-26-2015, 07:20 AM
Old Ryder, I will totally agree with your comment about having "looks or tunes but you can't have both". The way I think about it is, I can change the screen in close to five minutes so I try to decide which screen I want before I leave on the nice days. Hey I have a tall screen on at the moment because I ride to work some mornings at 5am and it can be cool that time of day.

Old Ryder
09-26-2015, 08:39 AM
http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/productpage.aspx?productid=1088

I would have tried this first. I have owned a few MRA's over the years. I probably would still end up with the Madstad, but I would have tried this first.

Smaller versions worked well on my Victorys.

taxfree4
09-26-2015, 09:39 AM
The small stock shield gets no love. But I like it. Although, I use a full face helmet so that helps. I really like the unconstructed view of the road and the cool look of the bike. Anyone else like this configuration? Here is my 6 after an twilight local ride tonight. Very refreshing.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/projectapollo1972/36994bb322fab442f6cb1affbccdbab0_zps97210168.jpg

This little addition will completely transform your stock screen from a useless hunk of plastic to a very functional, multi-setting shield. I have the bolt-on tour version that can be bought at www.twistedthrottle.com

Injun Joe
09-26-2015, 08:30 PM
My deal was the bugs on my helmet shield. We're I to use the stock one, I'd have to clean my helmet at least every 100 miles. Shorty Clearview? Hardly ever.

Dfinkelsteinmd
09-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Like most of you I bought a larger shield (Baggershield) but found it too hot in the summer here in NorCal so I bought a shorter opaque CB Bailey so I could get some air to my helmet vents like I do on my K1600GT. This combination of fresh air, cool looks and an open horizon view led me to consider the OEM again so I wrapped it in black shiny vinyl and now I love it again! Anyone want to sell me their OEM in perfect condition so that can paint it? $100 shipped to California!

Old Ryder
09-27-2015, 08:22 AM
PM sent my friend

Battoo
09-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Absolutly No Love bought the 14 inch Klockwerks LOVE it

Old Ryder
09-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Look for pictures very soon.

grendl
09-27-2015, 01:23 PM
My deal was the bugs on my helmet shield. We're I to use the stock one, I'd have to clean my helmet at least every 100 miles. Shorty Clearview? Hardly ever.

This was my problem. At about 14k with the shorty I had just made a trip from Denver to Huntsville via Memphis.I liked the shorty had said I wouldn't change it but the bugs just covered my full face. I had been wiping them off with my wiper glove but mostly they just smeared.
I went with a Klockwerks recurve. Short enough that I dont look through it but it puts the bugs on the top of my helmet-not in my face and view.Still enough wind ,stereo is clearer at speed and since the cool season is approaching should be a little warmer on the frosty days.

MisterB
09-27-2015, 09:11 PM
Not hearing much about the Honda tall screen, I live in a bug heavy area and enjoy keeping them off my face or face shield.
I'm looking at a Honda tall screen for $145 shipped. Bad idea?
edit: changed my search criteria, already been addressed. So. Much. To. Read!

Dfinkelsteinmd
09-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Thanks, Old Ryder. Sent you my PayPal address to make this deal happen. I am also an MRA fan--there is a dark shorty on my K1300S! Looking forward to painting your OEM shield the first rainy day we get with the monsoons they are predicting up here.

richw56
09-27-2015, 11:17 PM
I still like the stock shield, and have not replaced it.
But then again, I've also never had any windshield on any of the other bikes I've had in the 40 years I've been riding. Never liked the look of them.
I've used only full-face helmets since I bought my V65 Magna back in 1983.
I've also been using earplugs for quite a few years now, as I find riding to feel much more relaxing with them.
Despite this, I find the stereo to be audible through the speakers up to over 70 mph, as long as I have the automatic volume control on.
Maybe I'll try a regular windshield someday, but I remain in no hurry to do so.

Old Ryder
09-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Old Ryder. Sent you my PayPal address to make this deal happen. I am also an MRA fan--there is a dark shorty on my K1300S! Looking forward to painting your OEM shield the first rainy day we get with the monsoons they are predicting up here.

Sent you a PM. Seems the wife threw out the shield while cleaning out the barn. (I guess she did not care for the stock shield either :duck:) What a lousy way to spend a rainy Monday digging thru 2 barns looking for something that isn't there. Sorry, Bro! If you can't find one here, eBay has them from time to time for cheap.

Old Ryder
10-02-2015, 10:48 AM
I been playing around with some paint and the acrylic base of the Madstad. Now I wish I had my OEM to experiment with. Dang it!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7173-More-fun-with-the-paint-and-PlastiDip-Red-bikes-only

pdxstriper
10-03-2015, 11:16 AM

I'm with you. I got my B just 2 days back and love everything about it! Including the tiny little windshield.

ALL57
10-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Like most of you I bought a larger shield (Baggershield) but found it too hot in the summer here in NorCal so I bought a shorter opaque CB Bailey so I could get some air to my helmet vents like I do on my K1600GT. This combination of fresh air, cool looks and an open horizon view led me to consider the OEM again so I wrapped it in black shiny vinyl and now I love it again! Anyone want to sell me their OEM in perfect condition so that can paint it? $100 shipped to California!

Hello Dfinkelsteinmd

Quelques photos serait bienvenu ainsi que le film vinyl utilisé et votre méthode de pose.
Some photos would be welcome as well as the vinyl used and your method of pose.

Le français