PDA

View Full Version : Windshield suggestions and comments

royr
03-29-2014, 08:16 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I am 5’11 1/2” and have an inseam of 30”, which means my torso is on the long side.

I am trying to decide on which windshield to put on my F6B. I have read most the posts on windshields, but I have found that frequently the poster does not include their height and inseam length. This makes it very hard to determine if their comments on the windshield apply to my height and torso size. Also, I am new to the idea of riding with a short WS, but since riding a F6B with a stock and Baggershield 11”, I am warming up to the idea, but I am still concerned about the rain and bug protection (any comments?). I prefer a WS with a vent or is short enough reduce the buffeting, back pressure, cooling, and wider than stock.

I am considering the following WSs:

Baggershield – adjustable 11”-19”, Touring 19” with vent
Clearview - Touring with recurve, and vent
MadStad
Windbender HP-HPS, with or without electric option
MP3 – electric
Stock GL1800 with vent
Others - if you have a suggestion on another WS, please post it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

F6B-RICH
03-29-2014, 08:25 AM
I am 6'2" with a 34 inseam.I had the stock shorty and was great until the cold weather showed up.Then I tried the BaggerShield adjustable and was not happy with the flipping of the higher piece all the time.So I got the electric WindBender.So now I have the best of both worlds.Drop it low for warmer weather & back roads and raise it up when on the highway or when its cold/cooler out .batman-smilie.

royr
03-29-2014, 08:43 AM
I am 6'2" with a 34 inseam.I had the stock shorty and was great until the cold weather showed up.Then I tried the BaggerShield adjustable and was not happy with the flipping of the higher piece all the time.So I got the electric WindBender.So now I have the best of both worlds.Drop it low for warmer weather & back roads and raise it up when on the highway or when its cold/cooler out .batman-smilie.
What size did you get?

bobbyf6b
03-29-2014, 08:47 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I am 5’11 1/2” and have an inseam of 30”, which means my torso is on the long side.

I am trying to decide on which windshield to put on my F6B. I have read most the posts on windshields, but I have found that frequently the poster does not include their height and inseam length. This makes it very hard to determine if their comments on the windshield apply to my height and torso size. Also, I am new to the idea of riding with a short WS, but since riding a F6B with a stock and Baggershield 11”, I am warming up to the idea, but I am still concerned about the rain and bug protection (any comments?). I prefer a WS with a vent or is short enough reduce the buffeting, back pressure, cooling, and wider than stock.

MadStad
MP3 – electric
Stock GL1800 with vent

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Since you're taller in the seat you may like the tall F6B shield from Honda.

royr
03-29-2014, 08:56 AM
I considered a Honda F6B tall, but was concerned that the narrowing at top would reduce the upper body protection.

bobbyf6b
03-29-2014, 09:00 AM
I considered a Honda F6B tall, but was concerned that the narrowing at top would reduce the upper body protection.

I have one that is trimmed down 3 inches and the only issue is ear buffeting with a half helmet. I think it's due to the narrow top.

F6B-RICH
03-29-2014, 09:18 AM
What size did you get?

11" HP-S Dark smoke upper and lower color .batman-smilie.

royr
03-29-2014, 09:38 AM
I have read that they can rattle. Have you had any rattling?

F6B-RICH
03-29-2014, 09:47 AM
I have read that they can rattle. Have you had any rattling?

Will riding no.Parked showing people how it goes up and down with a switch yes.Its from the 2 plastic slide guides where if you do not get the electric option you will be inserting 2 pins for your adjustment .batman-smilie.

Mustangjake
03-29-2014, 11:11 AM
F4 Custom it's just awesome

Dirtstiff's F6B
03-29-2014, 11:55 AM
I'm same dimension as you OP

I'm happy with Bagger adjustable. Takes less than 5 minutes to install the top section.

When I got my bike there weren't as many great options available.

I'd also look into Clear views flip windshields. Both are available through our site sponsors.

You will be happy with any of the sponsors shields compared to the shorty OEM.

Opinions will vary.
J

royr
03-29-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm same dimension as you OP

I'm happy with Bagger adjustable. Takes less than 5 minutes to install the top section.

When I got my bike there weren't as many great options available.

I'd also look into Clear views flip windshields. Both are available through our site sponsors.

You will be happy with any of the sponsors shields compared to the shorty OEM.

Opinions will vary.
J
Do you look over the WS when you have the top section mounted up?
Where does the wind hit you with the top section mounted down?

I test rode a F6B with a 11" Baggershield mounted in the higher 12 1/2" position and the wind hit me at eye level. I was surprised that with that setup how pleasant the ride was. But it was a nice sunny day. Have you ridden in the rain with the adjustable Baggershield?

Dirtstiff's F6B
03-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Do you look over the WS when you have the top section mounted up?
Where does the wind hit you with the top section mounted down?

I test rode a F6B with a 11" Baggershield mounted in the higher 12 1/2" position and the wind hit me at eye level. I was surprised that with that setup how pleasant the ride was. But it was a nice sunny day. Have you ridden in the rain with the adjustable Baggershield?

I do not look over the top section without stretching.
It's fine to look through and my passenger says its a must have.. very calm for driver. Hear stereo at all speeds.

Wind is over my head cleanly and comfortably with top section off. Perfect for solo riding. I just look over the top..
It can be mounted about 3/4 of an inch high or low in the fairing.

Mine is pulled all the way up in the mount. Might be the difference we are talking about with top - shield height. Measures about 12 3/4" from the seal to top.

I try not to ride in rain but in the NWet, hard to do. Bagger shield with extension keeps rider completely dry in front and is good protection for passenger.
Short section is also pretty good to hunker behind.

Bagger's Shield works very well for me in all applications and it fit my $ budget.

Good luck in your decision and enjoy the new bike.
J

Bruce B
03-29-2014, 02:29 PM

MadStad
MP3 – electric
Stock GL1800 with vent

I'm 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam. I have an 11 inch Madstad and find it to be very quiet while offering great wind and bug protection. No buffet. I'm looking well over the top of the shield so there is never the problem of trying to see through a dirty, bug smeared shield while driving into a setting sun or car headlights. When I was running a competitive 11" fixed shield, I took a ton of bug hits on the helmet. Not so with the Madstad. Best shield I've ever had.

royr
03-29-2014, 03:53 PM
I think the bug hits might be a problem for me with the short WS. I the summer we have a lot of bugs around there. I really do not want to be cleaning my face shield all the time.

Big Jay
03-29-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm also 5'11" with 30" inseam and I have the windbender HPS non electric, 13" upper shield. It does rattle a little over rough road but you can adjust the rails so that it doesn't, I just haven't got around to it yet. the wind protection is good and adjustable ,haven't ridden in the rain yet so can't comment on that. The electric op. about dubbles the cost though. Hope this is of some help. Probably can't go to wrong with any of the shields on your list.

royr
03-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Any Clearview owners out there?

1951vbs
03-29-2014, 06:08 PM
I think the bug hits might be a problem for me with the short WS. I the summer we have a lot of bugs around there. I really do not want to be cleaning my face shield all the time.

I keep a small spray bottle of McGuire's quick detailer and a soft rag in the left side cubby box just for bug removal as I ride down the road.

Tbone56
03-29-2014, 06:12 PM
I am 5'-10" and a 30" inseam. I started off with a 11" Cee Bailey dark tint no vent. I thought it looked good and it provided very good wind protection. I have also tried the 13" Cee Bailey, 11" Baggershield, and a 14" Clearview Sport and 14" Sport Tour (wider). Frankly I could not tell a whole lot of difference between any of them and thought the 11" Cee Bailey was just as good if not better. Today I installed my 11" Madstad and it seems to provide the best wind protection, smoother air flow, and less turbulence. Even though it is an 11" shield, at the lowest settings it is a little higher and I don't look over it quite as much as the 11" Cee Bailey.

I have found it somewhat difficult to really tell the difference between one shield and another, and I was starting to think that there would always be some wind and a little buffeting because the rider on an F6B sits so far from the shield. Trying pick a shield based on other riders experience is also difficult because there are so many different variables, such as rider height, inseam, seat selection, handlebar modifications, and highway pegs. I ride with a Mustang seat, Ergo II highway pegs, and Show Chrome and MBL risers which bring the bars back and up, so I think my riding position is somewhat back and even farther from the windshield.

Bruce B
03-29-2014, 06:52 PM

No problem with the Madstad. Probably not with most of the others either as long as they are tall enough.

BACA
03-30-2014, 12:30 AM
Windbender........www.firecreekacc.com......it's adjustable and there is no wind around you head........check it out........the red F6B in the photo's is mine.

Ride Safe but often!!:woohoo:

royr
03-31-2014, 09:33 AM
I ordered a MadStad 13" clear this morning. I will post about it after I install it and ride some.

Thanks for the info and help

Bigred
03-31-2014, 04:44 PM
My vital statistics are the same as yours (5' 11" and 30" inseam). I have the Windbender 11" HPS and the 15" ST upper shields.

After using both for about six months, I have settled on the 15" ST as being ideal for me.

The HPS is OK at 11" but at 15" the distortion in the upper three inches is just too bothersome. At 15" I am looking about two inches over the top. If I go over a small hill or lean into a curve I am looking thru this distorted edge. At the 15" height I do not find the HPS to be superior to the ST. If anything, I think ST is better at deflection and at buffeting reduction.

With the ST at 15" I am looking two inches over the top and hills and curves are not a problem because the upper three inches is not distorted. I ride up to about 60 MPH with the ST at 15" very comfortably with my face shield up. I can feel the breeze coming into my top helmet vents with gentle or no buffeting.

For sustained 60 MPH and above I raise the ST to 19" where I am looking very comfortably 2" below the top edge and the wind is about one or two inches over my helmet. Buffeting is minimal unless the crosswinds are 20 MPH or more.

I also have the Honda tall 16" shield which does not work for me because I am looking thru the edge 95% of the time which is very annoying.

I am very happy with the Windbender product and customer service.

If I were to buy a non-adjustable windshield it would be at least 19" high but I doubt that I ever will because I like to be able to look over the shield when riding in town in the evening.

Scotrod
03-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Good post w/lotsa info!!! Thanks Bigred! :yes: :yes:

royr
03-31-2014, 05:06 PM
+1
Yes very good. I was looked at Windbenders and from the info in this post, I would have ordered the wrong one. Thanks for the info.