PDA

View Full Version : Rick Mayer custom seat for sale

MichaelG
05-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Rather than posting this in the parts for sale section, I thought I would list in the accessories section, as I need to make a decision on this very quickly.

I had Rick Mayer @ www.rickmayercycle.com make me a new seat for my F6B on May 9th. Since that time I have ridden the bike home to Washington State, then rode it to Tennessee and back. The new seat has 6250 miles on it. You can clearly see a good picture of it on the front page of Rick Mayer Cycle's website www.rickmayercycle.com

Here are more pictures of it:

The reason I am selling this, is because when I first bought my bike, I immediately called Russell Day-Long seats to schedule a ride-in appointment. They could not see me until June 12th. Knowing that I had cross-country trips to ride on before that date...I also called Rick Mayer seats, got into his shop on May 9th, had the seat done, and...if it worked perfectly for me, then I would cancel the appointment at Russell. Well, after 6250 miles on the Rick mayer seat, I have decided to keep my appointment with Russell on June 12th...IF...I can sell this seat to a forum member, and take their stock seat and have it made into a Russell seat.

This Rick Mayer seat is very good, but...I ride distances in 24 hours that most of you would not ride in a week, or month. The point is...after 750 miles in a day, muy butt gets a little uncomfortable on this Rick mayer seat. One day on the trip to Tennessee I did 1300 miles straight...in one day. I am used to doing at least 1500 a day.

Nothing wrong with this Rick mayer seat...is great is you are doing 500 to 750 miles a day, and hey...it may fit you better than it fits me.

The new seats that Rick Mayer is making for these F6B's are priced at $ 444.00. It is right on his website...front page.

I will sell this seat to a forum member for $ 300.00, and the exchange of their stock seat. That saves you almost $ 150.00 right there.

And you would not have to ride down to Northern California to have it made.

If interested, please contact me asap, as I need to know if someone wants this seat, or...not...so I can give Russell enough notice to cancel my appointment, and maybe re-schedule another appointment 5 months from now.

PM me back here...asap...so we can talk. If you are in the Great Pacific Northwest, I can ride out and show you the seat in person, and you can try it out.

SpeedyWho
05-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Did you have the seat height raised? It looks taller to me, I could be wrong. But it looks super thick in the photos. I understand that the height might be a nessesity to achieve the comfort level of Ricks seats. If the seat was custom made for you would you mind telling your size for me judge if it'd be a good fit.

MichaelG
05-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Speedy, Who? Yes, the seat height has been raised, as I found the stock seat height to be so low, it was like squatting on the bike. I can still stand flat-footed with both feet on the ground when stopped. It now feels correct.

I am 5'11" tall with a 30.5" inseam.

SpeedyWho
05-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Ok, I'm a little shorter than you, I'm not sure that would work for me. Thank you for the reply

jkelley
06-03-2013, 01:47 PM
PM sent on the seat

Kvett
02-15-2014, 05:22 AM
How can one go about purchasing a custom seat from out of town?

MichaelG
02-15-2014, 10:15 AM
How can one go about purchasing a custom seat from out of town?

Kvette, that is a good question. But first...Welcome to the forum .welcome20.

The answer is....there are many aftermarket seat manufacturers that are sponsoring vendors of this forum, like...Mustang Seats...Ultimate Seats...Corbin Seats. Those are the easiest to order, as you simply click on the header banner when you see their name at the top, and it leads you to one of their websites, from which you can order a seat. All are good, so it is a matter of which seat would "fit" you best for your specific body needs, and then which seat "looks" best, for your desired image of what you want your bike to look like.

Many of us choose function over fashion, and then again...there are some that choose fashion over function. That choice is yours.

Personally, I have the "ugliest" seat that is made, but for "me" it is the most comfortable seat that a serious rider could ever use...and that is a Russell Day Long Saddle.

Now, for a truly customized, one off seat, made just for you, there are choices out there, like Russell Day Long Saddles, and Rick Mayer Seats, but these companies are not sponsoring vendors of our forum, so I will mention them, but not promote them. They can easily be found on the Internet, with a little searching. Both of those are in Northen California, within 10 miles of Redding Calif., and if you are not able to ride there to have your seat made in person, they both do about 75 % of their business from "mail in" seats. Their websites explain this all.

So, back to our regularly scheduled program.......our forum sponsoring vendors, take a look at the Mustang, the Ultimate, and the Corbin...and also go to some of the other forum vendors like WingStuff, and many others that are listed on the Home Page, and look through their website, as they are the distributors of 93.14159 % of the available product out there, and make it easy for us to choose a vendor and buy most of our aftermarket items form one vendor. I.E., I buy most everything I can from WingStuff, because as a VIP member there, I save a lot on prices, and the customer service is excellent.

If you have more specific question, please just ask, as there are a LOT of aftermarket seats already on these bikes, and many others can help you.

"coffee"

1951vbs
02-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Kvette,
Also welcome to the forum!

To elaborate on my friend from the great northwet's comments: I also choose a custom built Russell Day Long seat. I however did mine long distance. Russell collects your measurements (see website) but needs to build the seat on a stock seat pan so I suggest you purchase an additional stock seat from the classified section of this forum (or ebay) for $150 and have the seller ship it directly to Russell. That way you can still ride while it is being built (they are usually several weeks behind). Then when you get your Russell seat sell your original seat for $150.

Now that being said; If I had to do it again I would check out a Mustang seat (not available when I got my seat done). I love the way it looks, lowers the seat height and offers lower back support. I also recently found out Mustang is quite knowlegeable about comfort and has developed a proprietary foam density and also takes the bikes ergonomics in to account to offer long haul comfort in a great looking package.

As Miles said form and/or function are your choice. I usually go for form over function but have a "glass ass" and need a comfy seat for the dozen really long days I ride each year. Hope this helps.

BigO
02-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Rather than posting this in the parts for sale section, I thought I would list in the accessories section, as I need to make a decision on this very quickly.

I had Rick Mayer @ www.rickmayercycle.com make me a new seat for my F6B on May 9th. Since that time I have ridden the bike home to Washington State, then rode it to Tennessee and back. The new seat has 6250 miles on it. You can clearly see a good picture of it on the front page of Rick Mayer Cycle's website www.rickmayercycle.com

Here are more pictures of it:

The reason I am selling this, is because when I first bought my bike, I immediately called Russell Day-Long seats to schedule a ride-in appointment. They could not see me until June 12th. Knowing that I had cross-country trips to ride on before that date...I also called Rick Mayer seats, got into his shop on May 9th, had the seat done, and...if it worked perfectly for me, then I would cancel the appointment at Russell. Well, after 6250 miles on the Rick mayer seat, I have decided to keep my appointment with Russell on June 12th...IF...I can sell this seat to a forum member, and take their stock seat and have it made into a Russell seat.

This Rick Mayer seat is very good, but...I ride distances in 24 hours that most of you would not ride in a week, or month. The point is...after 750 miles in a day, muy butt gets a little uncomfortable on this Rick mayer seat. One day on the trip to Tennessee I did 1300 miles straight...in one day. I am used to doing at least 1500 a day.

Nothing wrong with this Rick mayer seat...is great is you are doing 500 to 750 miles a day, and hey...it may fit you better than it fits me.

The new seats that Rick Mayer is making for these F6B's are priced at $ 444.00. It is right on his website...front page.

I will sell this seat to a forum member for $ 300.00, and the exchange of their stock seat. That saves you almost $ 150.00 right there.

And you would not have to ride down to Northern California to have it made.

If interested, please contact me asap, as I need to know if someone wants this seat, or...not...so I can give Russell enough notice to cancel my appointment, and maybe re-schedule another appointment 5 months from now.

PM me back here...asap...so we can talk. If you are in the Great Pacific Northwest, I can ride out and show you the seat in person, and you can try it out.

Forget the motorcycle, Miles. I liked to put you in a brand new Peterbilt (1500 miles a day) wow, you can ride.

MichaelG
02-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Forget the motorcycle, Miles. I liked to put you in a brand new Peterbilt (1500 miles a day) wow, you can ride.

Actually...BigO...I have been known to ride in excess of 2000 miles in a day, and have the IBA certificates to show for it. :shhh:

:icon_mrgreen: :shhh: :icon_mrgreen: :shhh: :icon_mrgreen: :shhh: :icon_mrgreen: :shhh:

BigO
02-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Actually...BigO...I have been known to ride in excess of 2000 miles in a day, and have the IBA certificates to show for it. :shhh:

:icon_mrgreen: :shhh: :icon_mrgreen: :shhh: :icon_mrgreen: :shhh: :icon_mrgreen: :shhh:

Wow, what's the record for 24hrs ?

MichaelG
02-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Wow, what's the record for 24hrs ?

Well, back in June 1998, the new record was 2156 (odometer corrected) miles in 24 hours, done during the Big Bang Rally, in Ely, NV. :039:
This was also the very first time that a ride out on the open roads in excess of 2000 miles in 24 hours had been recorded, witnessed, and documented.

Since that time, there are at least two riders that I have heard of...don't personally know them...that have done in excess of 2400 in 24 hours.

(please don't try this at home):icon_wink:

BigO
02-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Well, back in June 1998, the new record was 2156 (odometer corrected) miles in 24 hours, done during the Big Bang Rally, in Ely, NV. :039:
This was also the very first time that a ride out on the open roads in excess of 2000 miles in 24 hours had been recorded, witnessed, and documented.

Since that time, there are at least two riders that I have heard of...don't personally know them...that have done in excess of 2400 in 24 hours.

(please don't try this at home):icon_wink:

That's about a year of riding for me.