PDA

View Full Version : Full Face Helmet, No Shield?

Tbone56
04-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Do not like most DOT helmets because of the pressure points on the front of the head, and the dang things give me a headache. Just purchased a full face Shoei GT Air and it actually fits really well. Problem is, I feel a little claustrophobic, and miss the wind and sounds. Anyone use a full face helmet without the shield?

1951vbs
04-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Do not like most DOT helmets because of the pressure points on the front of the head, and the dang things give me a headache. Just purchased a full face Shoei GT Air and it actually fits really well. Problem is, I feel a little claustrophobic, and miss the wind and sounds. Anyone use a full face helmet without the shield?

I always wear my full-face (NEXX X1R Carbon) and it is really comfortable, due to it being the lightest full face made, (as far as I know) and less claustraphobic because it has an extra large eye port as compared to other full face designs. 95% of the time I use a face sheild but in most instances I have it cracked or slightly open. However when it gets over 100 degrees I will take the sheild off to get full ventilation but not for the sake of wind or sounds (I still hear plenty of that with my shorty wind screen!)

motozeke
04-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Do note that you're seriously compromising your protection if you remove that shield. Better to buy one that has a good top vent and get a windscreen that flows air to the top of your helmet.

I would not ride with the face shield off. As with all things, your ride your choice.

F6B-RICH
04-05-2014, 08:21 PM
I will ride with the face shield up on back roads in the summer but it has a drop down tinted eye shield that blocks the wind & sun in my eyes .batman-smilie.

Scotrod
04-05-2014, 09:28 PM
What windshield do you have on the bike?

The GT is reported to have good airflow.

Get some safety glasses (impact rated) to protect your eyes, pop off the shield, and test it out.

If you like it, invest in some decent impact-rated MC rider eyewear and go for it!

bobbyf6b
04-05-2014, 09:37 PM
I've done this before and liked it, as long as the helmet has a drop down sun screen. I don't like trying to squeeze sunglasses into a full face.

The only downfall I can see is getting some bees in your face. They will stick in there and increase your chances of a sting. We have random swarms around the desert and in the blink of an eye you get pelted with honey, literally, and sometimes stinger first.

I hit a swarm yesterday and they came right through my windshield vent. I'm glad I had on my full face.

CaptRob
04-05-2014, 09:44 PM
I rode half of the day today with full face and no shield! .batman-smilie. I wear sunglasses day and clear glasses night at the same time as full face helmet. Too dang hot and can't hear the stereo unless it is up or off. Of course I have a big wind screen so I'm not getting blasted in the face!

CaptRob
04-05-2014, 09:47 PM
5055 this is me today