PDA

View Full Version : New MSF Basic Rider Course Cirriculem

hiflyer
04-06-2014, 09:11 AM
The addition of an online course to be taken before the actual class, so more classroom time can be devoted to behavioral concepts such as risk awareness and management, hazard perception and judgment, and self-assessment and decision-making. I'm scheduled to take the update for instructors at the end of the month, a 72 hour class.

Steve 0080
04-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Not kicking the course……….but I never understood a class where the rider only gets to second gear and are there fore qualified for the endorsement…..just saying …..a bike with training wheels, on a track , on the highway, in some curves… I get it is better than nothing …...

Scotrod
04-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Course is for beginners, typically those w/o a MC license.

No MC license means no riding on any public road.

I imagine liability / insurance / the ability to watch others / instruct is another reason.

hiflyer
04-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Most people don't have the opportunities I had as a kid to learn how to ride a motorcycle. Getting a license to ride a motorcycle or fly an airplane is not what makes you proficient, it's just the license to learn.

Scotrod
04-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Yup.

Many have never operated a manual transmission either. (The first 'automatic' equipped car I ever drove was the Drivers Ed car!!! LOL!!!)

I had a 125 'zuki enduro as a teen back on the farm in Iowa,,, All kinds of Ag equipment,,, Making a machine do what you wanted it to do really wasn't a huge challenge. Some were more complicated than others, and you learn by experience.

Lotta folks don't have any opportunity for 'experience' :icon_frown: