PDA

View Full Version : Removing center stand

choptop
04-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Trying to remove the center stand before I install the 1" lowering link, will pick up the roll off one later, they must have gorillas at the factory torquing down the bolts. Got the allen head ,left side, loose but the 14mm on the right is a b'tch, have it on handy lift and limited space but a royal pain in the butt.

Phantom
04-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Trying to remove the center stand before I install the 1" lowering link, will pick up the roll off one later, they must have gorillas at the factory torquing down the bolts. Got the allen head ,left side, loose but the 14mm on the right is a b'tch, have it on handy lift and limited space but a royal pain in the butt.

I think the threads are reversed on that side but don't hold me to that .... someone will confirm :smokin:

bob109
04-09-2014, 06:22 PM

You have a left and right hand threaded bolts. Try turning the remaining bolt clockwise to remove it!

choptop
04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
You have a left and right hand threaded bolts. Try turning the remaining bolt clockwise to remove it!

Should have asked earlier but who would have thunk they were opposites, those silly orientals, twisted it off.:icon_redface:

bob109
04-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Should have asked earlier but who would have thunk they were opposites, those silly orientals, twisted it off.:icon_redface:

Time for a good sharp drill bit and "Left Hand Easy Outs"!

glryder98
04-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Choptop... It's not too bad removing the bolt. Drill a 3/16 hole all the way through the bolt making sure you don't hit any threads. Then use a small easy out to screw into it, remember the screw will thread further into the hole and not towards you. You will have to go to Honda to get another bolt because it is a left hand thread.

choptop
04-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Choptop... It's not too bad removing the bolt. Drill a 3/16 hole all the way through the bolt making sure you don't hit any threads. Then use a small easy out to screw into it, remember the screw will thread further into the hole and not towards you. You will have to go to Honda to get another bolt because it is a left hand thread.

Thanks

MarcPW
04-09-2014, 09:24 PM

I had encountered the same trouble when installing the central stand. Turning, turning and no luck getting the bolt in.
This is for security reason, imagine your central stand getting loose... I remember when side stands did not had "ignition cut" security, someone I knew got killed as he went fast down a "bouncy" road. The stand hit the road hard and catapulted him sidewise off his bike.
Not so silly after all.