PDA

View Full Version : Forks

choptop
04-11-2014, 04:56 AM
Due to a minor mishap while adjusting my fork tubes after installation of a Lower Wings suspension link which involved my tie down straps, keeping my 6 stable while on the Handy Lift, and their compression of my fork tubes when I loosened the pinch bolts and wiping out my reference point for lowering the front end:icon_redface:. I find myself needing a measurement , at rest, of the shinny part of the fork tubes, that would be just below the lower fork pinch bracket and just above the seal to the lower part of the fork. I have 3 3/4" now and don't know how far off I am from stock so I can make my adjustments. Thanks in advance

Hornblower
04-11-2014, 07:07 AM
So, basically, you're looking for the length of the exposed fork tube below the lower pinch clamp, right? Do you want that measurement done with bike on center stand? If so, maybe one pump down and let it settle for the measurement? What do you think?

choptop
04-11-2014, 08:20 AM
So, basically, you're looking for the length of the exposed fork tube below the lower pinch clamp, right? Do you want

that measurement done with bike on center stand? If so, maybe one pump down and let it settle for the measurement? What do you think?

I would like to think on the center stand would be fine.and yes exposed tube at just sitting idle.

F6B-RICH
04-11-2014, 08:32 AM
I have 5 15/16 standing on center stand just sitting there.Thats the exposed fork tube .batman-smilie.

Hornblower
04-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Looks like about 5 1/8" for me. You may want to factor in that I have Traxxion Dynamics forks and not the stock suspenders.

choptop
04-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I have the 6 clamped into the front wheel vise on my Handi Lift, I lowered the forks per some numbers that I was given. Not very scientific but neither am I. When I stand on the foot pegs and bounce the bike/forks up and down w/my 226 lbs I have plenty of travel and do not bottom out, that has to be a good sign, right.:jerkit:

Sorcerer
04-11-2014, 10:28 PM
I was through your little hamlit today. First decent ride of the year. Left the house a little after 1:00pm. 245 miles later was home by 6:30pm.

choptop
04-12-2014, 04:22 AM
I was through your little hamlit today. First decent ride of the year. Left the house a little after 1:00pm. 245 miles later was home by 6:30pm.

Next time you are out this way PM me, will give you my cell#, maybe we can hook up for a ride.

choptop
04-12-2014, 02:06 PM
As luck, or lack off, I have about 1 1/2" of fork tube sticking out of the top of my triple tree, I was trying to lower the front, ah it's a long sad story, but I need to reduce that down to about 1/2". all pinch bolts are loose, I would assume that as I raise the bike the forks tubes will stretch till that tube above the triple trees slides down. Anyone

Jakec has been a BIG help to me on this but he has a life and can't always be their to hold my hand.:icon_redface: