PDA

View Full Version : Helibars install

stepbill
04-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Going to do my install in the morning. Please wish me luck and much needed patience!!!!

Jabbasan
04-11-2014, 08:52 PM
God speed Titanic!!! :icon_razz:

Mustangjake
04-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Pictures :041:

Retired Army
04-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Good luck with the installation. I am looking forward to an in-depth critique as I am considering making the investment also.

Jabbasan
04-11-2014, 10:52 PM
If memory serves me right Hornblower installed them and did a post on them.

royr
04-12-2014, 05:11 AM
I got mine yesterday. It maybe a couple of days before I install them (nice weather the next two days).

Please post any install notes/pics you may have.

Lucas
04-12-2014, 05:43 AM
The installation of Helibars on the F6B is rather straightforward. Read and follow the instructions! Pay careful attention to the torque values! The instructions could be updated, especially regarding the hydraulic line placement: In order to create enough slack in the hydraulic lines to allow the handlebar controls to be raised, the lines are clamped next to, and below/in front of, the rubber clamp insulators. These insulators DO NOT move! To protect the hydraulic lines, and the electrical lines, I opted to place a 2 centimeter section of 1/2 inch (possibly 3/8 inch,) nylon convoluted tubing, also known as wire loom, directly in front of these clamp insulators. Doing this will prevent the clamp from from damaging the lines as they vibrate during vehicle operation. Use the nylon conduit, which has a white or grey stripe down it's length, and NOT the cheaper polypropylene material! Your local NAPA store can get you the right stuff. Sometimes this is called "split loom." The cost is nominal. Less than a foot is needed.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that no screws or fasteners or tools get dropped into the innards of the machine. Work slowly and methodically. Again, torque the fasteners to the specified values!

Once your Helibars are installed you will have virtually unlimited handlebar adjustment. It took me three attempts to get the position just right.

The cost is high, and the time spent is considerable. (Three hours, at least.) The end result is certainly worth the trouble. PM me if you have any questions. If you live near Phoenix, AZ, you can come to my shop for your installation.

Cheers!
Lucas in Phoenix

Dave Ritsema
04-12-2014, 07:14 AM
I am not understanding the reason behind installing this product. Is it to gain better adjustability of your handlebars or does it enhance handling performance in some way?

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

Hornblower
04-12-2014, 08:37 AM
I am not understanding the reason behind installing this product. Is it to gain better adjustability of your handlebars or does it enhance handling performance in some way?

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

It's for those of us who like to be in control :icon_biggrin:. Seriously, in my case, the stock bars were too much of a reach and even the MBL risers didn't give me what I needed. I just couldn't get really comfortable with either one. The HeliBars offers complete adjustability and really, what's not to like about that (except the cost)? In addition, HeliBars are super-high precision and quality and I liked the idea of a crossbar connecting the two sides for added rigidity. I'm completely sold on this mod. :clap2:

stepbill
04-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Got the install today. Took 3 hours exactly and that was with me really taking my time and trying to figure out how to hook up the clutch and front brake lines. I was not sure which direction they meant but after looking at the pictures for awhile, I figured it out. To me, the hardest part was breaking the bolts on the bar stems to the triple tree. Cracked my knuckles really good on that part. May have said a curse word or fourteen :shhh:. I also accidentally dropped a washer into the bike from the clutch bolt but thank God that they give you 4 more for each banjo bolt. I also did not realize that there are covers on both arms that attach to the triple tree that are removed to hide the wires. I did not catch this until I was doing the left side. For me to fix the right side I would have to have taken back off the throttle housing and brake resovire (?). Does not look bad the way it is so I left the side alone.

What I really like about the bars is the customizing of positions. I am used to riding a bike with beachbars and I was able to set this up close to it. I will post pics tomorrow of the final install and what the right side looks like with the wires outside of the housing.

I am by far not a wrench turner but I enjoy doing this type of work and it was not hard to do. I felt the instructions were really good and they give you two books, one with photos and the other book has the written directions that relate to the photos.

I had to really extend my arms with the stock bars and with these, I have a good break in my elbows which makes riding a lot more comfortable.