PDA

View Full Version : the back seat

Coop creek
04-12-2014, 09:02 PM
How do you get your SO onto the back seat without scraping up the paint with their shoes?? I put the bike on its center stand and tried to get into the back seat myself and it is pretty awkward. Do you let them step onto the left peg and then swing their right leg over? The last time someone tried that on my old bike I almost fell over. I think I am going to need a step stool to get my wife into the seat. This thing is like straddling a barrel.

erazor55
04-12-2014, 09:34 PM
I grimace, but ignore it when my granddaughter hops on the back. She's always begging me to go on rides, so for me, I just bite my lip and go for it. Good luck to all for the back seat riders!

FYI I had to learn that on my last Harley. She loves riding no matter what, so I've lived with the scuffs and scrapes (personality) she's added to my bikes. The rides far outweigh the minor scars she's added. They turn up being memories for me.

Fla_rider
04-12-2014, 09:42 PM
This answer may differ as much as the variation of SO's sitting in the back seat. I taught my SO to stand on the kick stand side passenger peg, keeping her weight over the bike she easily clears the other leg over to the opposite side still standing, then sits.

Steve 0080
04-12-2014, 09:51 PM
I have my wife get on the bike before I do….on the side stand…no big deal…I just hold the L grip as she does...

Dirtstiff's F6B
04-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Like going horse back, always on the left. She does hit her boots on the bags once in a while, but I think it pretty easy to buff out considering the privilege of her company.

When we stop, I get off with kick stand down, then offer a hand off.
Works good. She is small.

J

hiflyer
04-12-2014, 10:07 PM
I grimace, but ignore it when my granddaughter hops on the back. She's always begging me to go on rides, so for me, I just bite my lip and go for it. Good luck to all for the back seat riders!

FYI I had to learn that on my last Harley. She loves riding no matter what, so I've lived with the scuffs and scrapes (personality) she's added to my bikes. The rides far outweigh the minor scars she's added. They turn up being memories for me.

Amen! I took four grandkids for rides last week-end, afterwards my youngest daughter (30) said, " Dad, I was riding with you when I was my babies age! I want to go now" When we were done, I parked the bike on the centerstand and we all went into the house. I happened to be walking by the window when I noticed one of the grandkids had crawled back up on the bike and was sitting on the back with a big smile on her face. I may just leave that scratch on the saddlebag for good memories myself.

Dave Ritsema
04-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Happily for me, my wife is quite flexible. LOL

She is used to having to swing over the trunk on my Valkyrie Interstate and says getting on the F6B is a breeze compared to the Valkyrie. She still hasn't worked out her mount and dismount with her helmet headset hooked up however.

GONRDN
04-13-2014, 08:18 AM
I usually have my SO throw her leg..............OVER HER OWN BIKE!

Scotrod
04-13-2014, 08:49 AM

X2! :yes: That's the best way, IMHO!

I have seen 'others' mount up either passenger first or by standing on peg/swinging over. I would assume discouraging the use of stud / metal-clad apparel would be helpful,,,

GNW
04-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Here's how my wife does it so gracefully. She gets on the left side, puts her left foot on a new mini passenger floorboard I just installed, holds the grab rail and sits back and down on the seat then brings her right foot up and over the tank (way high), then she scoots back into position on her seat. What a sweetie !!

bobbyf6b
04-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Mine won't get on it so no worries here. :icon_frown:

I scuff them up enough on my own anyway.

Slingah
04-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Just took wifey for her first ride. A little harder getting on than the VTX that's for sure. But no scratches! I hate scratches. She did the same way as GNW's wife. Went smooth.

Coop creek
04-13-2014, 09:46 PM
OK, I will try letting her get on first, side saddle then right leg over. Thanks guys!

Paul B Blues
04-14-2014, 04:04 AM
Ha ha ha... Good God, I was only thinking the same thing yesterday. I was looking at the footrests and saying to myself "Mmmm, how do I stop my panniers from getting scratched" Reading the replies I see we are all thinking the same thing!! A Band of Brothers & Sisters we are alright.

jkelley
04-14-2014, 06:20 AM

+1 wife rides her own.

ddoug
04-14-2014, 09:35 AM
My wife has had both knees and both hips replaced. This was the easiest bike for her, to get on the side saddle method. She twisted my arm and told me to buy this F6B. Happy Days!

Elin in So. Cal.
04-14-2014, 09:58 AM
You guys are such good men. I see your replies to this and think it would be such an honor to ride with you.

As an aside, my dad and mom both had the same attitude when raising their kids (and grand kids) that possessions were just things, but memories last a lifetime. I'm sure you don't remember the scratches and dings on previous bikes you've owned, but surely remember the thrill and joy of riding now. May it ever be so.

And I'm with the two fellows who said "Ride her own"! It was "sa-wheet!" to ride back home yesterday and see that odometer roll over 8,000.

Bruce B
04-14-2014, 10:43 AM
This answer may differ as much as the variation of SO's sitting in the back seat. I taught my SO to stand on the kick stand side passenger peg, keeping her weight over the bike she easily clears the other leg over to the opposite side still standing, then sits.

+1 for this method. Easy and graceful. My passenger can steady herself by putting one or both hands lightly on my shoulders but keeping her weight over the bike is a key factor.