PDA

View Full Version : First week of ownership ride report

Dave Ritsema
04-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Put a few hundred miles on the bike yesterday with my wife, a few observations below. Conditions were less than perfect, 20-35 mph wind gusts and some rain. Average speed was about 70 mph.

Honda extended windshield is the perfect height for me, just looking over it at 5' 10".

Kuryakyn mini floorboards made foot position as good as my Valkyrie.

Needs handlebar risers, bars are a bit lower than my Valkyrie. (It had pullback risers)

The stock seat is quite good, but we are both spoiled by Ultimate's and we will go that route.

Passenger backrest is WAY too low and needs to be addressed. See my Ultimate statement above.

Andrea states there is considerably more back seat room than there was on the Valkyrie.

Going from memory of course, but seemed more "planted" in cross winds.

More planted in corners, that’s for certain.

First gear is quite low, great for that rapid burst of acceleration; my butt dyno tells me it is quicker than the Interstate.

5th gear is overdriven (even has an OD light on the dash) and at 70 mph the engine seems to running slower than the Interstate. I find that I am not constantly trying to shift it into another gear.

Intercom and headsets are really nice, but I have to figure out more about it. The wind kept opening up Andreas mic which resulted in the radio being constantly muted and me listening to amplified wind noise.

Fuel economy 38 mpg

Post ride wash (it rained) was 45 minutes vs. 2 hours on the Valkyrie. (No chrome and less nooks and crannies)

First week impression is quite favorable and I am enjoying my new ride. Won't continue to bore you with updates, just wanted to offer my initial impressions.

opas ride
04-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Dave, Glad you enjoy your new ride..The F6B is a great bike and I really like mine...Just curious, although, as to why you chose this bike over the Goldwing coming off a Valk Interstate...I know you ride two-up a lot and with the trunk/backrest, cruise, ABS, etc. I just wonder if the GW would have been a better fit...I realize many do not like the GW weight issues,etc. but I know you will be happy with the F6B after you make the changes you want.....Ride safe...

bobbyf6b
04-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Intercom and headsets are really nice, but I have to figure out more about it. The wind kept opening up Andreas mic which resulted in the radio being constantly muted and me listening to amplified wind noise.

Baker hand wings help this issue. They actually block wind back to the passenger.

bobbyf6b
04-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Honda extended windshield is the perfect height for me, just looking over it at 5' 10".

Can you do me a favor? Can you tell me the measurement of that shield from this location? This is the "actual" height.

Dave Ritsema
04-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Can you do me a favor? Can you tell me the measurement of that shield from this location? This is the "actual" height.

With my tape resting on top of the Honda emblem like yours, it is 16.5 inches to the top of the shield.

bobbyf6b
04-13-2014, 02:52 PM
With my tape resting on top of the Honda emblem like yours, it is 16.5 inches to the top of the shield.

Perfect, thanks! I kept wondering if it was any shorter than measuring the other way. I guess it's only 1/4 inch shorter. I'm 5'11" and had a hard time seeing over a 16.75 shield. It was right in my line of sight when I was relaxed on the bike. 15 seems to be my magic number.

GONRDN
04-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Passenger backrest is WAY too low and needs to be addressed. See my Ultimate statement above.

I bought the Ultimate riser for the passenger backrest ($40) when I bought the seat. Girly loves the new height now.