PDA

View Full Version : Elio Motors

bobbyf6b
04-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Anyone hear about this before? My interest is peaked.

http://www.eliomotors.com/

Phantom
04-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Yes, they've been trying to get investors for several years.

They were going to use an old GM plant in Louisiana last I heard.

Initially the first units were supposed to have been available in 2013 ... they're a little bit behind schedule

GONRDN
04-13-2014, 05:09 PM
I want one.

motozeke
04-13-2014, 05:17 PM
$6,800 is cheap for a motorcycle... hard to see how they'll hit that price point. But it will be great to see this on the market.

bobbyf6b
04-13-2014, 06:33 PM
The videos I watched said it's supposed to come out this summer. Maybe they said that last summer too.

One thing that caught my attention, they say the car is cheaper to buy than an outboard motor for a row boat. I call BS on that, I found several for under a grand.

Cool Hand Luke
04-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Elio Motors had one vehicle on display during Daytona Bikeweek, right on the Main Street. Same orange color. I tried it, sat inside and played with it. I like it. It seemed very spacious and comfortable for a driver, much more tight in the back seat (I sat there, too) and bit claustrophobic. Very small trunk but at least there is one.

Elio Rep said that was one of the prototypes with Geo Metro engine! The actual engine to be used was also on display and it is a three cylinder. It is supposed to go over 100mph and get over 80mpg. I was also told that the base price includes usual power windows and doors, ac, wipers, etc. and comes in manual transmission. Auto trans is extra, as well as power seats and leather seats, etc.

I was told Elio is planning to start producing them in fall of this year and start shipping first ones beginning of 2015. However, there are certain forums/threads on the web about Elio's doom and gloom. Apparently, Elio does not have enough capital to really get rolling and their projected sales aren't very realistic (250,000 per year sold? Hm...) as well as number of dealerships proposed (50) with five employees each. In other words, Elio may never see the light of day.

However, if it does materialize I will be reading the initial reviews with interest and may buy one in a year or two so the initial kinks are worked out. It does sound like a perfect commuter vehicle to have and I like the quirkiness factor, too.

bobbyf6b
04-13-2014, 07:15 PM
However, if it does materialize I will be reading the initial reviews with interest and may buy one in a year or two so the initial kinks are worked out. It does sound like a perfect commuter vehicle to have and I like the quirkiness factor, too.

I'm with you on that. We'll see.