PDA

View Full Version : stupid, stupid, stupid

brewcityf6b
04-13-2014, 05:17 PM
New F6b is less than a week old. I removed the front and rear Honda badges. No I'm not ashamed to be riding a Honda, I just prefer a cleaner look. In removing the left over glue using goof off and a microfiber cloth I swirled and dulled the Hell out of the paint in the front of the bike. No amount of scratch X seems to do anything. Super mad at myself. I've removed tank badges from every bike and car that I've owned and never had a problem. Note to self, plastic reacts differently then clear coated metal..... Ugh....

chipmaker
04-13-2014, 05:21 PM
yep, no clear coat sucks!

jimsol1
04-13-2014, 06:10 PM
I removed the front emblem to make future cleaning easier. The emblem must have been put on while paint was soft as I had a ghost honda left in the paint. I felt just like you, and tried scratch x and other finer polishing compounds. I eventually wet sanded w/ fine grit automotive sandpaper, then used a power buffer and rubbing compound from 3M, and it came out perfect. Even if you ruin it, that piece can't be too expensive to buy new vs. repainting it. Good luck. Jim

BACA
04-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Imperial Hand Glaze by 3M can take out those scratches and any Carbuna (spelling?) will restore the shine........I removed mine using the same method. I don't remember getting as many scratches as you describe but a body man put me on two these two products and it worked for me. The Imperial contains no abrasives and it will polish your windshield too. Others might have different suggestions but this works for me.

Ride Safe, but often!!!

bobbyf6b
04-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Scratch X worked for me, sorry to hear it isn't working for you.

indiatango
04-13-2014, 06:35 PM
I initially experienced the same dulling and shadowing. I kept hitting it with Scratch X then moved to a polishing compound. It finally worked out and after 3 coats of LG, it looks like it was never there.

bobbyf6b
04-13-2014, 06:38 PM
So does Liquid Glass fill in the swirls and make them disappear? If so I'm getting some. I didn't realize it's like a wax. I watched a video of a few people applying it and it's not what I thought at all. I was thinking it was like a clear coating or something.

brewcityf6b
04-13-2014, 06:52 PM
I tried two rounds of scratch X, nothing.... Almost looks duller. I'm also curious about the liquid glass. I'm afraid that it will just coat over the swirls and keep them there for good. Perhaps I'm not understanding how it works.

yellow rex
04-13-2014, 06:53 PM
You may try glare .com product works great.

Ericb445
04-13-2014, 07:07 PM
I removed all emblems on my bike. And it will looks awesome for about a week then the ghost emblems pop back out....More waxing and rubbing takes care of it. I like Kit paste wax used it for many years, good stuff.
I think I may be the only one on this forum that is NOT in LOVE with Liquid Glass.
It is good but it but not that good. I like the turtle wax black detail spray works good for me along with the Lucas oil Slick Mist detail spray.

Dirtstiff's F6B
04-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Turtle wax black under 3/4 can of liquid glass has mine looking perfect. I thought I was on to all good waxes and polishes out there, but the liquid glass works and for once, more is better.
J

Retired Army
04-13-2014, 08:05 PM
I can not over emphasize preheating using a hair dryer any double sided coatings to be removed. The Honda emblems on the lower fairing and front and back popped right off and goo gone cleaned up the residue. These tricks were taught to me by members of this forum. I didn't want to wax around the chrome emblems and I personalized the lower fairing emblems.

brewcityf6b
04-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Sounds like I'm in good company. Thanks for the feedback guys. Those of you using LG, did you apply right over the wax? I thought that I read on the can that you are supposed to strip the wax before applying.

Steve 0080
04-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Same here….buff it and it will be fine…..then go to the LG!!!!

4DI2D
04-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Trick learned from the crews who detail cars for filming commercials for national TV:

Use Ronsonol! YUP! lighter fluid dissolves the glue, not the paint and a quick buff with a Carnauba wax will finish the job.

Drive Jehu
05-30-2014, 05:34 PM
I removed my front badge today and the project was very successful. As Retired Army suggests above use a hair dryer. The letters will loosen and the stickum will become elastic.

Ronsonol does remove the goo. I was really not sure about lighter fluid on my paint...but it worked...good trick 4DI2D. I took my time and used several small cotton cloths and kept moving to a clean area of the cloth as I gently rubbed so I would not rub rag goo into the paint.

I rinsed, waxed with KLASSE wax, next a couple of coats of KLASSE sealer and the results look great.

Ixol Phaane
05-30-2014, 09:55 PM
New F6b is less than a week old. I removed the front and rear Honda badges. No I'm not ashamed to be riding a Honda, I just prefer a cleaner look. In removing the left over glue using goof off and a microfiber cloth I swirled and dulled the Hell out of the paint in the front of the bike. No amount of scratch X seems to do anything. Super mad at myself. I've removed tank badges from every bike and car that I've owned and never had a problem. Note to self, plastic reacts differently then clear coated metal..... Ugh....

There's a smilie for that.

:banghead:

:icon_biggrin:

Phantom
05-30-2014, 10:00 PM
There's a smilie for that.

:banghead:

:icon_biggrin:

:icon_doh: , :icon_redface: , :suicide2: , :cus: , .nothing.to.sdd.

yellow rex
05-30-2014, 10:40 PM
When I want to remove glue WD 40 works and no side affects,
you may look at glare products page they have a product called spider
it removes spider web in paint it will not fill them it removes them.

smokinjoe187
05-31-2014, 04:48 AM
look one thing should ring clear we ALL did the same thing...but good news
its NOT a clear paint job...if the scratches don't buff out color sand it with 2000 and re buff it shiny like new...
the one time it pays to have single stage paint is right now!!

Rikrok
05-31-2014, 06:01 AM
Every time I use Goof Off, I ruin something. I think I will head out to the garage and throw it out now. A few weeks ago I was removing the adhesive from some tint I had on the tail lights of my Porsche. I had a stubborn spot and broke out the goof off, it hazed the plastic instantly. Goo Gone on the other hand, works perfectly.

jkelley
05-31-2014, 06:10 AM
sorry for your experience, but worst case repaint that panel properly with a good clear coat and problem resolved! the front takes the most abuse from road debris any way. Not a major issue, but I know you are dissapointed.

peterll0
07-20-2014, 09:11 AM
When I want to remove glue WD 40 works and no side affects,
you may look at glare products page they have a product called spider
it removes spider web in paint it will not fill them it removes them.

Glare sounds promising! Went to the Tesla Motors Club site. They have a great comparison of popular products. I ordered mine on ebay and will be comparing it to LG.

Can't wait to give it a try!

CoCoKola
07-23-2014, 02:10 PM
look one thing should ring clear we ALL did the same thing...but good news
its NOT a clear paint job...if the scratches don't buff out color sand it with 2000 and re buff it shiny like new...
the one time it pays to have single stage paint is right now!!

I am new.. "color sand it with 2000" means what exactly?