PDA

View Full Version : Prescription motorcycle glasses

stepbill
04-14-2014, 01:25 PM
I took my Wiley X Brick riding glasses to my eyeglass place to see if they could change the lenses to prescription and he told me that since the lense on the Wiley X was curved, the prescription would be distorted and it would seem like you are constantly drunk. I would prefer to have the glasses with the foam inserts, what are you all using that have to wear glasses?

52edub
04-14-2014, 01:37 PM
I use a pair from this company. They used to be carried in HD stores, but haven't seen them lately. Made for riding so most have the foam insert to make them goggle like. Used to be know as Panoptic
matt

http://www.7eye.com/home.php

Hornblower
04-14-2014, 01:40 PM
I took my Wiley X Brick riding glasses to my eyeglass place to see if they could change the lenses to prescription and he told me that since the lense on the Wiley X was curved, the prescription would be distorted and it would seem like you are constantly drunk. I would prefer to have the glasses with the foam inserts, what are you all using that have to wear glasses?

Considering most glasses are curved, their excuse is weak, IMO. More likely, they don't have the pattern blank for your frames so they have no easy way to trim the new lenses to fit your existing frame. This is not unusual, BTW, and is why most eyeglass stores want to sell you the lenses AND the frames.

Scotrod
04-14-2014, 03:13 PM
My RX is pretty strong, so curved or not,,, it most likely couldn't be done by 'just any' RX riding glasses folks,,, :icon_frown:

So,,,

I use,,,

A shield mounted to a helmet for eye protection. Quite a few options out there, depending on your tolerance for helmets and/or projectiles aimed at your face.

Retired Army
04-14-2014, 03:51 PM

I purchased these at Private Eyes Optical located in Marion IN. They are my prescription, seamless bifocal and transition. They have the removable rubber padding. So much for the curve theory. These are Willey X

Hornblower
04-14-2014, 04:04 PM

I purchased these at Private Eyes Optical located in Marion IN. They are my prescription, seamless bifocal and transition. They have the removable rubber padding. So much for the curve theory. These are Willey X

So, you bought the finished product from that shop, lenses and frames, right? Like I mentioned earlier, this is what optical shops typically do since they don't want to make lenses for frames you already have. That's not to say there will never be an exception but this is usually the case. That said, since this shop apparently is setup to deal with WileyX frames, maybe the OP could contact that shop to see if they would work with him.

Retired Army
04-14-2014, 04:39 PM
So, you bought the finished product from that shop, lenses and frames, right? Like I mentioned earlier, this is what optical shops typically do since they don't want to make lenses for frames you already have. That's not to say there will never be an exception but this is usually the case. That said, since this shop apparently is setup to deal with WileyX frames, maybe the OP could contact that shop to see if they would work with him.
The sectary of the Kokomo Legion Riders walked into the meeting wearing a pair and I had been looking for the padded backing so he told me where he got his. This particular shop does the work for the VA hospital in Marion and just happened to have the frames available. I tried Wal-Mart and they couldn't come close. They come with a heavy case ideal for storage on a cycle.

Alberta Beagle
04-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Contact lenses and regular riding glasses .

Beagle

BillyDaFinn
04-14-2014, 06:30 PM
I use a pair from this company. They used to be carried in HD stores, but haven't seen them lately. Made for riding so most have the foam insert to make them goggle like. Used to be know as Panoptic
matt

http://www.7eye.com/home.php

I've been riding with panoptic for the last 7 years, I wear contacts, great glasses. After 7 years the foam is getting abit raggedy. Now that I know where to order from I'll be gettin me a new pair.
Thanks for the info.

claytonsdad
04-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Both Wiley X and 7eye have dealer locators on their websites. Maybe that would help find someone near you that could fit your frames. Might be worth a shot.

Ericb445
04-15-2014, 07:40 PM
I have pair of prescription Rayban motorcycle sunglasses that have pretty curvy lenses. I say find another eye care place.

RickW
04-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Both Wiley X and 7eye have dealer locators on their websites. Maybe that would help find someone near you that could fit your frames. Might be worth a shot.

Teresa just got a pair of the Wiley X from our eye doctors office. They have some pretty expensive progressive lenses in them and they are fine.

stepbill
04-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Teresa just got a pair of the Wiley X from our eye doctors office. They have some pretty expensive progressive lenses in them and they are fine.

Thanks, I'm taking mine back and have them put the lenses in.