PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Questions and Advice.

TearlessTom
04-15-2014, 01:36 PM
New guy here with questions and requesting advise.

1st I would like to thank the Administrator that responded to my Email this morning about unable to get into the site so quickly. I was just starting my 1st cup of coffee after a near sleepless night (thinking about this bike) so I am sorry I didn't catch your name. Actually at 1st I thought you were a telemarketer trying to get me to advertise my business on your site at 1st. :icon_redface:

Anyway, My name is Tom, I've been riding off and on most of my life like many I rode in my teens and 20's then took a hiatus due to kids. Started back in my mid-late 40's and have been riding almost daily for the past 10 years.

I started back with a Honda 750 American Classic,(great bike) moved up to a VTX 1300 (good bike, so/so) , then a ST1300, (AWESOME BIKE) Added a 97 Valkyrie, (AWESOME BIKE) then 2006 Harley Davidson Street Glide, (Very good bike just not for me) a 2005 Harley Davidson FatBoy (for my wife) a 2003 Yamaha Road Star, (terrible bike, don't recommend that one) then went back to a 2005 Harley Davidson Road Glide (another great bike) and then sold it for my latest which is a 2007 Harley Davidson Road Glide with tour pak. 103 CI with cams so it runs out pretty nicely. And its YELLOW.

So as you can see I am not a brand conscious A-hole. As long as your in the wind is all that matters.

Anyway I've always felt that eventually I would work my way to a Goldwing. Never was crazy about the look until the 2012's came out but I know how great they can ride. After the ST1300 and Valkyrie I loved that smooth power and ride.

Well when the FB6 came out I really started warming up to the Goldwing. I have done lots of research and such. I like to make a long trip if possible every year. My longest was a bit over 5,000 miles. I am planning a 2,000 mile next month and camping.

So to the point of all this rambling... My local dealer who unfortunately I do not like at all (owner) has changed their marketing strategies. He has a Red 2013 FB6 on the floor and advertised on the internet for $14,899. I don't understand that as it is $5,000 under MSRP A used 2013 MSRP is still $16,700 (KBB) so he is $1,900 under used value.

Why is the price on these things dropping like a stone? I've read where there were problems with the paint but other than that whats the deal. It is making me a little leary although I do like the price. I am sure he will under value my ride as it has been ridden. I am getting a little aggrevated as it keeps nickel and dime-ing me to death and I have concerns going on long trips. I plan on doing the 4 corners and the Alaskapade at some point in my life but don't see me going on it.

But then on the flip side I need a new seat, and eventually a new stator and compensator both of which I can replace and it should be good to go for a few more years rather than starting all the mod's all over again with a new bike. ie seats, lights., etc.

I guess some of my concerns are even though I take care of my bikes I do ride them. I like long trips and to camp which means lots of gear on the back end. I guess I am wondering if I should jump on the price or wait another year or 2 and see if I can pick up a full wing for less.

Also I see where the 2014 are going to be YELLOW which I like but are they going to be clear coated?

I know this rambles quite a bit but any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
Tom

kjelders
04-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Welcome Tom!

I too owned many Goldwings, Harleys, and a VTX1800. In a short amount of time, the F6B is by far my favorite bike. You get the power and torq of the full size wing and the look of a bagger all rolled into one. I didn't by mine to re-sale. It's a keeper. There isn't a clearcoat on 2013 or 2014 for the F6B or full size Wing. The paint can be problematic, but I have the same issue with the paint on my 2014 Scion tC. You can thank the EPA for that. Liquid Glass does a good job of keeping the paint looking good.

That's a good price on the F6B.

opas ride
04-15-2014, 02:20 PM
That is a great price, if true...I have no idea why some are selling this awesome ride for so little unless they are not moving quickly enough for the dealers..I paid a hell of a lot more for mine last fall, but have no regrets at all and love the thing. Yes, some have had paint issues, I had mine custom painted,(personal choice), but most issues can be solved with a few of coats of liquid glass and some sun..(See the paint posts on the site).I have had many bikes like yourself, including the Valkyrie, and the F6B, so far, is the nicest bike I have ridden in over 40+ years of riding..Add a taller windshield, maybe some pipes, etc. and you should be good to go..The deluxe model worked better for me as it had more factory options that I wanted. Color is subjective and the new yellow is nice if you like it, but the paint is the same as last years and many have had no issues with it....The new Valkyrie is due out next month and you might want to check it out, but I personally do not like it as well as my F6B...Good luck on your decision and you will not regret buying the F6B, 2013 or 2014.....

TearlessTom
04-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the replies , I was wondering why they are not clear coating, Why is it an EPA issue especially since they are now made in Japan. ?

I was hit twice on my Valkyrie by drunks one rear ended me out right and left the scene, The other side swiped me from the rear in front of 2 city cops directing traffic and a retired Ga. State police and my self a ex LEO my self. Needless to say he went to jail. But I felt like I had a big target on my back.

I like the yellow because it stands out so much. Its easy to find in a parking lot, especially it being a HD. The new FB6 I believe is suppose to be the same Chrome Yellow as the newer HD.s.
I do like the Red also, but red is known to make you drive too fast.

As for repainting I was wondering about the ones from Russellville Honda in Arkansas like this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Gold-Wing-ALL-NEW-2013-Honda-Goldwing-F6B-HR-Signature-Series-OTD-PRICE-/271442819269?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f3340b8c5&item=271442819269&pt=US_motorcycles

I am sure he paints them I wonder if they are clear coated.?

As for the price the salesman told me it was that cash price plus normal fees OTD.

I always wonder what they mean by cash price...They are getting paid regardless either by me or the bank. They make more on a trade in it may just take a bit longer.

CaptRob
04-15-2014, 03:11 PM
That is a crazy great price! I sold my 2011 Street Glide 2 months after getting the 6 because it was just sitting there.I am riding the heck out of this F6B! Even if the price dropped and they discontinued the F6B ( and I doubt that), We would be the lucky ones having this awesome bike! They say this flat 6 motor will take you around the world and back and maintenance costs a fraction of HD BMW Ducatti, and there is a honda mechanic in almost every town. If I could ride 2 at a time I would go down there and buy it myself. You will not be sorry. I will bet that store may just be dumping that one 2013 bike then prices might go back up. I hear they are not as aggressive on the 2014s price wise.

Scotrod
04-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Salesman needs to define 'normal fees' as there are different interpretations of 'normal'.

I know the Red bike owners may not agree, but Black outsold Red by a very substantial margin,,, If a red 2013 is discounted more than a black 2013, this would not surprise me due to ~demand~. (HOR was discounting Red one's vs Black back in the Winter,,, Haven't checked today)

Paint? Eh, dunno,,, I have a HOR painted bike and the wife picked up a OEM black one from HOR the same week I got mine. Huge difference in paint? Eh, not really. :shrug:

Fla_rider
04-15-2014, 03:50 PM
I just got my 2013 Red F6B Deluxe for $17,000 I was and am happy with the price. I want to been seen so the bright red was good for me. See Below for my previous bikes.

royr
04-15-2014, 05:31 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Pricing - there are a lot of '13 F6Bs around and Honda is giving the dealers and the customers incentives to sell them. That is a good price, but like others have noted watch the fees. I assume it is a standard? The price you mentioned is not too far from the price I was offered on a standard without any add on fees at the end of last month. I priced a ‘14 standard and deluxe but the price difference was significant, no super deals on ‘14s.

Paint – yes the paint is soft. The black ones show it more than the red. I had an ultra blue ’12 GL1800 Goldwing. It was clear coated but the clear coat scratched just like my red F6B. It was just harder to see. As someone else mentioned, I do not see what the EPA has to do with painting in Japan.

I am very pleased with the F6B. It is very nice bike and a lot of fun to ride. Nothing is perfect.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

CaptRob
04-15-2014, 06:51 PM
I just got my 2013 Red F6B Deluxe for $17,000 I was and am happy with the price. I want to been seen so the bright red was good for me. See Below for my previous bikes.

Hey John, I just saw your quote at the bottom. I am also a spearfisherman!shot his foot I grew up in S Fla. but now live in Atl. and keep my boat in Gulf Shores Al. I fish the oil rigs and wrecks in the Gulf! I can only eat fish that fresh too!:bbq2:

TearlessTom
04-15-2014, 06:52 PM
This one is a standard not deluxe. I would rather have the duluxe but I really don't need heated grips. I live on the Gulf of Mexico. Not saying there were not times I would have liked them but it is not a must have for me. The cruise control. I had that on my Valkyrie (self installed) and my last 2 HD. and to be honest I rarely use it. Only when I am on a long stretch of interstate and i want to rest my hand for a few minutes. It is a nice feature but again not a deal breaker for me. Center Stand and passenger back rest, well those are must have for me. The back rest for safety and comfort for the S.O. and the centerstand is desirable for on the road repairs but not a must have on a day to day bases. That is something I could add on myself. I do know how to turn a wrench if needed.

I would want the driving lights, and a taller screen for the longer trips. Which brings me to another question. How difficult is it to change out the windshield. ?

Phantom
04-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Tom,

We have a fellow rider that is retiring from motorcycles, he is in your backyard ....

See thread, it is a very nice set-up, let me know if you can't get a hold of him.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2141-Selling-Black-f6b

Fla_rider
04-16-2014, 06:44 AM
tearless- you left out self-cancelling turn signals, personally I feel every bike should have them. Let's face it they were on my first bike "XS400" back in 1977!:biker::biker::biker::biker::yikes:

TearlessTom
04-16-2014, 08:26 PM
tearless- you left out self-cancelling turn signals, personally I feel every bike should have them. Let's face it they were on my first bike "XS400" back in 1977!:biker::biker::biker::biker::yikes:

I realized that after I posted. I have them on my HD now and it is the only bike I have ever had it on. It is a nice feature and should be on all bikes but if need be I could live without it.

I am trying to get my wife to be a little more receptive to the idea of extending my payments you know if Momma ain't happy ain't nobody going to be happy.

I hope to go look at one of the members here bike next week when I am off next. It is black which is not my favorite color but it seems to be a great bike and has me very intrigued.

I do have one other issue that comes to mind. We like to travel, she likes to ride but would rather tow the bike to our vacation destination often across country or at least 1,000 miles away or more.then spend a week or two exploring the area on the bike then trailer back.

My issue is I can't recall ever seeing a Goldwing being towed on a trailer. It just seems wrong.

Yeahoo Whoyah
04-16-2014, 11:47 PM
seeing a Goldwing being towed on a trailer. It just seems wrong.

Yes, that's abnormal....

Hornblower
04-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Very often, the real adventure is the ride to the destination and back. This is especially true when following Steve 0080 :yikes:

Phantom
04-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Very often, the real adventure is the ride to the destination and back. This is especially true when following Steve 0080 :yikes:

________ :nutkick: __________ :stretcher: _____________ :stirthepot: __________ :popcorn:

Scotrod
04-17-2014, 08:00 AM
I do have one other issue that comes to mind. We like to travel, she likes to ride but would rather tow the bike to our vacation destination often across country or at least 1,000 miles away or more.then spend a week or two exploring the area on the bike then trailer back.

My issue is I can't recall ever seeing a Goldwing being towed on a trailer. It just seems wrong.

Wife and I do just that every year in Arkansas. I put one bike in the bed of the truck and the other on a trailer and head off to Russellville. 'Base camp' in that area for a week, then load em up and head home. It's only ~500~ miles to R-ville from Houston, but between hauling all her crap and arriving/returning 'fresh' after an easy 500 mile day in a 'truck', trailering makes the most sense to us. Adding any inclement weather to that trip also makes one glad to be inside a vehicle.

I'd like to 'take a trip' on 2 wheels just by myself some day, but it's not something I need to do anytime soon. :shrug:

TearlessTom
04-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Wife and I do just that every year in Arkansas. I put one bike in the bed of the truck and the other on a trailer and head off to Russellville. 'Base camp' in that area for a week, then load em up and head home. It's only ~500~ miles to R-ville from Houston, but between hauling all her crap and arriving/returning 'fresh' after an easy 500 mile day in a 'truck', trailering makes the most sense to us. Adding any inclement weather to that trip also makes one glad to be inside a vehicle.

I'd like to 'take a trip' on 2 wheels just by myself some day, but it's not something I need to do anytime soon. :shrug:

I agree it is nice to have a roof over your head to retreat to when it rains or too cold. I've done a few solo trips, the longest a bit over 5,000 miles. I am planning a 2,000 mile trip the 2nd week of May now. However it is interesting to make the trip on two wheels but that ain't going to happen with all her stuff.

fxdl2051
04-19-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm looking real hard at buying this week. Cheapest I've seen has been 15K with lower prices coming in around 15400 as listed on Cycletrader. Washington dealers aren't that low, but then I'd still have to ship it and that makes the difference up quickly. I did get a quote of $695 for the 7 year extended warranty which the dealer said was $50 under cost, sounds right. Now if they give me a good price on my trade, bye bye Harley, hello Honda. Since Honda is giving a 1K rebate that helps on lowering purchase price. They also have good finaincing though Alaska credit that I belong to, has 3.1% and I can't beat that.
Best of luck Tom.
ss^,
Ken

TearlessTom
05-22-2014, 10:02 PM

Scot just curious, What bike do you load in the back of the truck and how do you get in in there.. I ended up buying a full grown 2012 wing and loving it. I have over 3,000 miles on it now in less than a month. I just returned from my 9 day camping trip.

Anyway from what research I have done is seems to take a nearly 20 foot ramp to load into the back of a full size pick up truck. Thats a lot of ramp and it would have to be especially strong to support the wing and person loading it. About 1,100 lbs total.

Any thoughts or suggestions???

We are planning a trip out west in October and having the bike it the bed vs on a trailer would be easier to manage and I am sure better gas mileage too.

FlatSixBagger
05-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Honda has 1.99 right now on the F6B.

racer
05-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Why is the price on these things dropping like a stone? Tom

The price on the leftovers has dropped. That's good for buyers. The price for leftovers drops on any manufacturers inventory.

I looked at victory leftover before deciding on an F6B. They were reduced too.

Makes the depreciation hit a bit more palatable.