PDA

View Full Version : After market seat

erazor55
04-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Days away from 59th birthday. I have some back problems, and suffer through the night after a few days of commuting. For now, it's still worth it. Would an after market seat provide some relief? Or should I wear a kidney belt when riding?

GONRDN
04-15-2014, 08:56 PM
that's a tough question. All I can give you is my personal thoughts about it. I actually liked my stock seat, but found myself sliding forward and rearward when braking or accelerating. Somuch so that I felt lower back pain after a day on the bike. I got the Ultimate seat after sitting on a friends bike and found it to snug me just enough that I wasn't sliding. Hence, no back pain after a days ride. But like I said, everyone is different.

BillyDaFinn
04-15-2014, 09:32 PM
that's a tough question. All I can give you is my personal thoughts about it. I actually liked my stock seat, but found myself sliding forward and rearward when braking or accelerating. Somuch so that I felt lower back pain after a day on the bike. I got the Ultimate seat after sitting on a friends bike and found it to snug me just enough that I wasn't sliding. Hence, no back pain after a days ride. But like I said, everyone is different.

I also went with The Ultimate, it sort of gives me the feeling of sitting "in" the bike, not "on" it. It has lots of back support. It's a keeper. Love it........

Mustangjake
04-15-2014, 09:32 PM
I agree the stock one is to soft and I found myself all over it.
I bought a Corbin but it didn't work for me sold it put a back rest on the stock one.
It's better but I ordered a mustang will see how it works.

Steve 0080
04-15-2014, 11:38 PM
The reason I sold my stock seat was the fact I was sliding to the front….I would try the belt first…go by a “Play it Again” store and buy a belt made of fabric not leather and give it a try!

FlaMike
04-16-2014, 05:49 AM
Same experience as others. Got Ultimate w/ backrest and for me, it made the ride much better.
That said, Belt might work fine and it's a cheaper first option.

Richie
04-16-2014, 08:59 AM
How about (passenger) comfort with the Ultimate seat?

Looking for Ultimate or Mustang.

Richie

Steve 0080
04-16-2014, 09:13 AM
My wife likes the Mustang better than stock…if that helps ….

Scotrod
04-16-2014, 10:57 AM
The 6 is not the most 'plush' riding bike I've ever owned,,, :icon_frown:

Hard to say exactly what's making your back hurt,,, Posture/position, 'road jolt', etc,,,

Without knowing the cause, correcting the issue could be tough,,,

I like to start w/inexpensive stuff first,,,

Air pressure in tires???? (I had a bunko gauge that read 4 lbs less than actual, so I was at 44 iso 40) Correct (for you) pressure will not make a new bike out of it, but every bit helps. {I'm currently 38 F 40 R, and I'm just north of 300 lbs.}

Make sure your gauge is accurate.

Opinions do vary, but I'd run a few less lbs of pressure than the 'popular consensus', tire wear be damned, if it meant the difference between riding or not.

Hornblower
04-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Days away from 59th birthday. I have some back problems, and suffer through the night after a few days of commuting. For now, it's still worth it. Would an after market seat provide some relief? Or should I wear a kidney belt when riding?

Utopia rider backrest could be your answer and much less expensive than changing seats. :2cents:

erazor55
04-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks one and all for the welcome advice.

I'll post again after trying a belt, then a Mustang seat.