PDA

View Full Version : XM radio??

Wild Bill
04-19-2014, 04:39 PM
I am wanting to instale XM radio..But I want it to be plug and play with eather the usb port or mp3 plug.That way I can activate one radio and when not riding I can plug it in semi truck during the work week. Any suggestions. Thanks Bill

Steve 0080
04-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Shameless bump!

edgeman55
04-19-2014, 08:24 PM
I have the Stratus 7 XM radio in the left pocket.Works great hooked up to the aux plug there.Head unit can be removed and plugged into another base in your semi.I use mine in a port box in my shop when it is not on the bike.

Wild Bill
04-19-2014, 09:09 PM
I have the Stratus 7 XM radio in the left pocket.Works great hooked up to the aux plug there.Head unit can be removed and plugged into another base in your semi.I use mine in a port box in my shop when it is not on the bike.

Thanks that may be just what im looking for.

Steve 0080
04-19-2014, 11:11 PM
I have Sirius in my IPhone…I just plug into the phone and run it thru the bike...

Philbert40
04-20-2014, 11:34 AM
I have had xm on my last 4 bikes. I created a mount that bolts to the clutch resivour and ran power and aux. Conection from under the left storage pod. This way I can transfer the receiver from bike to truck and back.

hope this helps.

bobbyf6b
04-20-2014, 12:39 PM
I have had xm on my last 4 bikes. I created a mount that bolts to the clutch resivour and ran power and aux. Conection from under the left storage pod. This way I can transfer the receiver from bike to truck and back.

hope this helps.

That's what I was going to suggest. I cancelled my Sirius/XM account until I can get a hard wired Sirius radio in my work truck. I couldn't listen to it in any city environment, too much static with the remote unit.

Plus, for those of you with the service, don't you feel screwed paying for radio when you have to listen to all those damn commercials? Frustrates the hell out of me. I can listen to commercials for free on AM/FM. :banghead:

Dave Ritsema
04-20-2014, 06:16 PM
If you use the typical XM set up where are you guys putting the antenna?
If you use the smartphone app I assume you are burning up the data plan the entire time you are using it?

hiflyer
04-20-2014, 06:20 PM
If you use the smartphone app I assume you are burning up the data plan the entire time you are using it?

Try this for previous discussion:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?984-Added-XM-Radio

hiflyer
04-20-2014, 06:57 PM
8 months in the pocket and still working fine. The only thing I listen to.

NCF6B
04-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know if Pete at bike MP3 is selling the XM radio for the f6b. Any info appreciated.

Deer Slayer
04-21-2014, 08:11 PM

I have run the antenna on top of the clutch reservoir with double stick tape on 3 different Wings.:cheers:

Dave Ritsema
04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
8 months in the pocket and still working fine. The only thing I listen to.

Great idea! Ordered the smaller audiovox unit this morning mentioned in the other thread for $30 off Amazon. Hoping that I can do 6 month subscriptions as the bike will sit 6 months a year here in the frozen north. Regarding all the wires and cables, did you simply bundle them up and push them under the radio?

hiflyer
04-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Great idea! Ordered the smaller audiovox unit this morning mentioned in the other thread for $30 off Amazon. Hoping that I can do 6 month subscriptions as the bike will sit 6 months a year here in the frozen north. Regarding all the wires and cables, did you simply bundle them up and push them under the radio?

Yes, just sitting under the unit. I used 3m double stick (Ace, Home Depot, etc.) to mount the unit and the antenna. Works well for me, and is secure. I usually listen to just a couple of stations, so opening up the lid to change to preset stations is not an issue for me. Plugged into the audio system, volume controlled thru the AUX.

Pedro66
04-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know if Pete at bike MP3 is selling the XM radio for the f6b. Any info appreciated.

We do have a prototype that works on the USB slot and uses the factory controls and display but its on the back burner until the new CB is released

jdurbin
04-23-2014, 06:55 PM
I have my satellite radio in the glove box with the antenna on the dash and plugged into a plug in my left compartment. I move it form my F6B to my GL in about two minutes.

Dave Ritsema
04-24-2014, 04:32 PM
We do have a prototype that works on the USB slot and uses the factory controls and display but its on the back burner until the new CB is released

Are there still many people out there that use CB's? I figured with all the bluetooth options for helmets now that cell phones would be the prefered method of bike to bike communication. I would have also guessed there is way more people interested in Sat radio than there were in CB's. Guess it's a good thing I am not in the electronics business. :icon_lol:

BACA
04-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Are there still many people out there that use CB's? I figured with all the bluetooth options for helmets now that cell phones would be the prefered method of bike to bike communication. I would have also guessed there is way more people interested in Sat radio than there were in CB's. Guess it's a good thing I am not in the electronics business. :icon_lol:

I still use a CB (Thanks BikeMP3 for the kit you built) because all of my riding buddies use it (GWRRA members) and it's still an excellent bike to bike communication tool, because you can talk to more than one bike.......which I had heard is not possible with bluetooth technology, but I could be wrong.. I also have my F6B wired for Sat. radio (hard wired to my left handlebar for quick channel changes) and my GPS ZUMO 450 (hard wired to my right handlebar). In addition I have the USB port connected to a 8 GB thumb drive with my favorite songs.

I guess you could say "I'm Wired"!!!

Steve 0080
04-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Yes when you run Sirius thru the I Phone it is using your Data Plan….. I have 5 I Phone's on one plan so you could say I am Wired as well!!!

Fla_rider
04-26-2014, 05:16 AM
Common grandpa's, why don't you install a eight track too! Sat. Radio is going to be forgotten in the next few years. With services like pandora,I heart, and iPods. Why pay for good music? Here wait there's a rocking chair for you old geezers. :icon_doh:

choptop
04-26-2014, 06:34 AM
Common grandpa's, why don't you install a eight track too! Sat. Radio is going to be forgotten in the next few years. With services like pandora,I heart, and iPods. Why pay for good music? Here wait there's a rocking chair for you old geezers. :icon_doh:

I resemble that "Grampa" remark ! :icon_biggrin:

BACA
04-26-2014, 11:03 AM

Grandpa's Rule!!!!

hiflyer
04-26-2014, 04:57 PM

I couldn't come up with a play list if I wanted to. I listen more to CNBC than anything.

Wild Bill
04-26-2014, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=Fla_rider;28894]Common grandpa's, why don't you install a eight track too! Sat. Radio is going to be forgotten in the next few years. With services like pandora,I heart, and iPods. Why pay for good music? Here wait there's a rocking chair for you old geezers. :icon_doh:[/QUO
I used to have some good 8 tracks back in the day. Anyway anything transmitted through a mobile device in my area or where we ride would be a lost cause due to tower issues.Cell service sucks and it does not matter what carrier it is.

Fla_rider
04-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Wild- get you grand kids to hook you up with a 8gb flash drive and tell them you want 50s-70s music, you know a little of Frank, Tony, Dean, mix a little of Beattles, beach boys and America. Then you don't have to worry bout cell towers.:041:

Wild Bill
04-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Wild- get you grand kids to hook you up with a 8gb flash drive and tell them you want 50s-70s music, you know a little of Frank, Tony, Dean, mix a little of Beattles, beach boys and America. Then you don't have to worry bout cell towers.:041:

Allready on that.But its more like Segar.Kid nickel back,Maranda.

Fla_rider
04-27-2014, 03:10 PM
All good, roll on!

choptop
04-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Allready on that.But its more like Segar.Kid nickel back,Maranda.

sounds like my kind of listening.

Wild Bill
06-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Ok its a done deal.Works great.Havent secured my wireing just yet because I am getting a diferent antenna that will be permanent mount.62096210

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Just installed one on the F6.
This is my 5th motorcycle install.
I'm not at all happy with the quality of the music signal.
The last Sirius system on a bike I did was 2011 and it sounded great.
This radio just installed on the 6 sounds tinny and distorted. So, I have some work ahead, figuring out how to improve reception. My recorded music on my thumb drive sounds concert quality compared to today's Sirius signal.
Anybody see a change in Sirius sound quality.
Maybe this technology has out lived it's usefulness...
Jim

ths61
08-14-2015, 09:25 PM
I had factory XM on my previous bike and current cars (too much lossy and dynamic compression).

The sound quality was no where near that of the iPOD/iTouch with quality lossless rips.

Jimmytee
08-14-2015, 09:43 PM
I've got SiriusXM on my bike with the new head end electronics I installed. It actually sounds quite good.328632873288

willtill
08-14-2015, 09:47 PM
'efff the XM Radio. :no:

It's not the radio that they first came out with. Was supposed to be commercial free. Now they have dipshit DJ's effing up practically every other song being played.

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

AND YOU'RE PAYING FOR IT???? :bendover:

Save your money and play your own tunes. :yes:

hiflyer
08-14-2015, 09:59 PM
'efff the XM Radio. :no:

It's not the radio that they first came out with. Was supposed to be commercial free. Now they have dipshit DJ's effing up practically every other song being played.

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

AND YOU'RE PAYING FOR IT???? :bendover:

Save your money and play your own tunes. :yes:

Actually, I have other things to do than download "my own tunes". I am one that likes my xm.

Jimmytee
08-14-2015, 10:04 PM
I now have SiriusXM, currently 32 gigs of music on a thumb drive ,and can Bluetooth stream both I Heart Radio and Pandora.:icon_lol:

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-14-2015, 10:13 PM
I'm still running all my music signal through the headset, including my amp and now the Sirius signal
Guessing it isn't the cleanest for that reason.
Perhaps some day I too will find the oem inputs to the amp and use them or go Jimmie s latest route with a separate head.
Jim

Donncat
08-15-2015, 05:35 PM
I go the iPhone app as well, have XM and Pandora and is the sole source of music and news. Use in the work truck, car and scoot, can't see how it gets any easier than that, Just Sayin

edgeman55
08-15-2015, 07:14 PM
I have a Stratus 7 in the left cubby with the attenna puck on the dash under the windshield in the middle.Great reception and sound.I hate payin for it but I really like all the choices and reception in the mountains here where radio sucks.Plus at home I can dock it in my shop and enjoy there too.

Fla_rider
08-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Like I've said before Sat. Radio is a thing of the past.

Jimmytee
08-16-2015, 12:47 AM
Like I've said before Sat. Radio is a thing of the past.

Not sure why you find it necessary to keep expressing your opinion about how you don't care for satellite radio.:shrug:

Once would have seemed to be more than sufficient.

Obviously some of us have differing opinions on the subject. :icon_cool:

Pandora and I heart are great, as long as you have cell service and an unlimited data plan.

:icon_doh:

Oh, yeah that's right, you're paying for those services too by way of the cell contract. I know that I'm fortunate in that regards as the company I work for provides me with my smart phone and cell service /data plan. However, how many can say the same thing?

And if you want unlimited skipping ability and commercial free versions , you'll also have to be subscribed.
CHa ching"ccsmiley"

Should I also point out that those services are dependent on a cell service and a proper phone signal with data?:tomatohit:

Pandora and I heart are great, until they start buffering as you're going in and out of phone service.

I think I have maybe 200 gigabytes of music I can choose to put on my thumb drive. That music comes in many genres and styles. Yet as I listen to various channels on satellite , or Pandora, I hear music that I don't have or have not thought of. Plus, as some have pointed out, I live a pretty busy life. I am not retired. Taking the time to make a " play list" usually just consist of selecting shuffle all.:icon_lol:

Greg O
08-16-2015, 07:59 AM
I still use a CB (Thanks BikeMP3 for the kit you built) because all of my riding buddies use it (GWRRA members) and it's still an excellent bike to bike communication tool, because you can talk to more than one bike.......which I had heard is not possible with bluetooth technology, but I could be wrong.. I also have my F6B wired for Sat. radio (hard wired to my left handlebar for quick channel changes) and my GPS ZUMO 450 (hard wired to my right handlebar). In addition I have the USB port connected to a 8 GB thumb drive with my favorite songs.

I guess you could say "I'm Wired"!!!

Do I like paying for XM radio, no. Do l like the music and variety yes. I have it in my Buick Enclave and renewed it twice. Now I want on my bike.

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Anybody else comment on sound quality or receiver to sound quality running a Sirius radio on your F6?
I've installed a few and this time, two years since the last, I'm noticing very poor sound quality??
I installed a ground coil in the ground circuit yesterday, which seems to have eliminated any back ground noise, but sound quality is still not so good. Sounds like I'm pushing the music through a tin can, while my recorded music is concert quality.. Frustrating.
Jim

Jimmytee
08-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Anybody else comment on sound quality or receiver to sound quality running a Sirius radio on your F6?
I've installed a few and this time, two years since the last, I'm noticing very poor sound quality??
I installed a ground coil in the ground circuit yesterday, which seems to have eliminated any back ground noise, but sound quality is still not so good. Sounds like I'm pushing the music through a tin can, while my recorded music is concert quality.. Frustrating.
Jim

I know that the route I went is probably not what everyone would want to do, but with the new head end electronics , I have zero unwanted noise. The stereo imaging is so much better and wider and spacious sounding than it was with the OEM electronics. As far as SiruiusXM, I have it through a tuner that plugs right into the module/hide away box. The sound quality is on par with MP3 and WAV files on the USB flash drive. There is a small difference in volumes between say the USB and the satellite radio. The satellite radio is a little lower in volume, but that's easily compensated with the volume control. I'm really pleased with it.

Before I replaced the front end OEM electronics, I had a slight ground loop hum that is common when installing aftermarket amplifiers and such. I'm sure I could probably have eliminated it with a noise filter or something, but it wasn't really that noticeable unless there was no music playing. It really didn't bug me enough to mess with it. However, after replacing the front end electronics, I now have no such hum and just good clean sound.

Dirtstiff's F6B
08-16-2015, 11:11 AM
I missed any pics you posted of your new head unit, Jimmie.
Do you mind posting and referencing again or pm?
I'm a perfectionist and won't or maybe can't be satisfied with modifying the oem unit..
Thanks

Airborne06
08-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Not sure why you find it necessary to keep expressing your opinion about how you don't care for satellite radio.:shrug:

Once would have seemed to be more than sufficient.

Obviously some of us have differing opinions on the subject. :icon_cool:

Pandora and I heart are great, as long as you have cell service and an unlimited data plan.

:icon_doh:

Oh, yeah that's right, you're paying for those services too by way of the cell contract. I know that I'm fortunate in that regards as the company I work for provides me with my smart phone and cell service /data plan. However, how many can say the same thing?

And if you want unlimited skipping ability and commercial free versions , you'll also have to be subscribed.
CHa ching"ccsmiley"

Should I also point out that those services are dependent on a cell service and a proper phone signal with data?:tomatohit:

Pandora and I heart are great, until they start buffering as you're going in and out of phone service.

I think I have maybe 200 gigabytes of music I can choose to put on my thumb drive. That music comes in many genres and styles. Yet as I listen to various channels on satellite , or Pandora, I hear music that I don't have or have not thought of. Plus, as some have pointed out, I live a pretty busy life. I am not retired. Taking the time to make a " play list" usually just consist of selecting shuffle all.:icon_lol:

Good points. I like XM to listen to Major League Baseball (XM has all the MLB games; Sirius carries all the NFL games). I also like the XM to listen to cable news and talk shows. I also have my iPod/FM for music if I want that, and of course XM has that as well, including traffic and weather reports for various major metro areas. I think the XM complements my other media sources to provide me with whatever I happen to want, when I want it.

Jimmytee
08-16-2015, 11:24 AM
I missed any pics you posted of your new head unit, Jimmie.
Do you mind posting and referencing again or pm?
I'm a perfectionist and won't or maybe can't be satisfied with modifying the oem unit..
Thanks

This is the controller.

This the hide away box that resides where the OEM "Audio Unit" used to be located.

This is the unit I installed.
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CMS2-Marine-Digital-Media/dp/B00HWL4NLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439741879&sr=8-1&keywords=clarion+cms2

This is the SiriusXM tuner cost me $30, it seems it has gone up to $44

I also installed this in the left side pocket. That is where I now plug my thumb drive into and of course the aux. 3.5 mm input.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B43LK0G?colid=KZYW9V41VON6&coliid=I21CVGDCWFYMJ3&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl