PDA

View Full Version : My new Rick Mayer saddle

gamersince1976
05-30-2013, 02:13 AM
Like Miles, I took a trip down to see Rick Mayer in Anderson, CA to get a custom saddle made. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. I got there about 0830 and was out the door by 1300. I wanted the seat to put me higher and further back, and to minimize the slant at the back of the seat - to form more of a vertical "wall" (like the stock seat). After taking the test pattern for a spin and finding that I was almost falling off during heavy acceleration, I also had him add another inch of height to the passenger pad - solving the issue.

It's nowhere near Iron Butt levels, but I rode 926 miles in 3 days - the longest ride I've ever done by far. With the new seat, I see MANY more trips like this in my future!

MNF6B
05-30-2013, 08:48 PM
I had him do a seat for me a few years back. Did the whole ride in thing when I lived in Nor Cal. He does great work!
Bike looks great!

Congrats!:clap2:

gamersince1976
05-31-2013, 01:24 AM
Thank you!

I really think it turned out great. I was planning on waiting to see what Ultimate Seats came up with - but I'm happier with this. Being custom made for me, it fits like a dream. And, in my opinion, it adds to the look of the bike.

Now I just need the black Cobra 6-2-6 pipes and the chrome Rivco Aero pegs to come out!

Bruce B
06-01-2013, 12:40 AM
I've narrowed down my seat choices to Rick Mayer, which I would do as a ride in, and Ultimate. Really liked Ultimate on my Valkyrie.

A desire for a drivers backrest is the problem I'm facing with Rick Mayer and I'd like the input of others on this. My understanding is that he will recover a backrest such as a Utopia and also the stock passenger backrest as desired. But what drivers backrest to use?? The Utopia, for all it's quality, still doesn't match the stock passenger rest in size or style. I don't want to screw up the looks of the bike with mismatced, over sized, or otherwise unattractive backrests. Your ideas, please on how to solve the backrest issue on a Rick Mayer seat.

The Russell Day-Long seat would be a great choice too but they told me that it would raise my seat height by about an inch and a half. With my 30 inch inseam, I'm not sure that would be a good idea.

I know backrests will be no problem from Ultimate and they say that their seat will be really good looking.

I'll have to make up my mind on this when Ultimate hits the market.

MichaelG
06-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Bruce, I am quite knowledgeable on this subject, as I currently have the very first seat for an F6B that Rick Mayer made...on May 9th...3 weeks ago, and I have had 10 seats made by Russell Day-Long seats.

The Rick Mayer seat "will" raise you about 1.5 inches also. That is a given. The Russell seat will raise you about 2 inches. The Rick Mayer seat will look good, and add to the looks of the bike. The Russell seat will look ugly, and take away from the looks of the bike. Personally, from my point of view...I do not care about the looks, as I want long distance comfort.

Now, my Rick Mayer seat is for sale. I have a 30.5 inch inseam, and I can sit with both feet flat on the ground, when stopped. If I sell my Rick mayer seat, then I will have Russell make the 11th seat for me, and it will be ugly, but...when my butt is on it, I don't care.

As for backrests...the very best in the world is the Utopia. They are now available from Utopia, and from Wingstuff. Wingstuff got the very first shipment of them from Utopia. Rick Mayer can recover the Utopia backrest to match the seat...and recover the OEM Deluxe passenger backrest to match the seat.
Job done.

I will never own a Ultimate seat...ever again. Worst seat I have ever owned, and that includes the Corbins.

So, if you want a Rick Mayer seat, that now has 6000 miles on it in the last 3 weeks, let me know.

Bruce B
06-01-2013, 01:47 AM
Bruce, I am quite knowledgeable on this subject, as I currently have the very first seat for an F6B that Rick Mayer made...on May 9th...3 weeks ago, and I have had 10 seats made by Russell Day-Long seats.

The Rick Mayer seat "will" raise you about 1.5 inches also. That is a given. The Russell seat will raise you about 2 inches. The Rick Mayer seat will look good, and add to the looks of the bike. The Russell seat will look ugly, and take away from the looks of the bike. Personally, from my point of view...I do not care about the looks, as I want long distance comfort.

Now, my Rick Mayer seat is for sale. I have a 30.5 inch inseam, and I can sit with both feet flat on the ground, when stopped. If I sell my Rick mayer seat, then I will have Russell make the 11th seat for me, and it will be ugly, but...when my butt is on it, I don't care.

As for backrests...the very best in the world is the Utopia. They are now available from Utopia, and from Wingstuff. Wingstuff got the very first shipment of them from Utopia. Rick Mayer can recover the Utopia backrest to match the seat...and recover the OEM Deluxe passenger backrest to match the seat.
Job done.

I will never own a Ultimate seat...ever again. Worst seat I have ever owned, and that includes the Corbins.

So, if you want a Rick Mayer seat, that now has 6000 miles on it in the last 3 weeks, let me know.

Thanks for the info., Miles. You have me leaning toward the Rick Mayer and I know I couldn't go wrong there. If I go that way, I do think I'll do a "ride in" for the build. He's only a couple of hours north of me so it would be really easy to ride up for the perfect fit. I do thank you for the offer on yours, though.