PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Return Of The Paint Thread!

fxdl2051
04-22-2014, 09:57 PM
I was already to pull the trigger when I read the paint thread on the problems people are having with their f6bs. So I'm having major 2nd thoughts. Here's what I'd like to ask everyone, who's NOT having paint issues with their f5bs? Is this problem on all the bikes or just some? The net is sorta like a magnifying lens, issues may not be their actual size. I only have a few weeks to make up my mind on the 2013s at clearence prices, so I'd be grateful for all your feedback.
ss^,
Ken

Alberta Beagle
04-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Mine is black. Gave it a good hand polish with Meguiars when I bought it and waxed it a couple more times last year. In between I clean it with Meguiar's quick Detailer. No issues at all. Have 16,000 Kms on the bike. Dust it off after rides with my California car duster.
Some have not had as positive an experience with the paint a I have.

Beagle

Exbmwrider
04-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Mine is red. I also saw the concerns about the soft paint, but after hearing about the different "fixes" available, it did not dissuade me from buying the bike. The F6B is the smoothest, most fun bike I've ever owned. I quickly put four coats of Liquid Glass on the bike, and do not have any issues whatsoever. The paint issue should not keep you from buying this fantastic bike, IMHO.

Pull the trigger...you won't be sorry. 'riding'

bob109
04-23-2014, 01:26 AM
The paint is durable! I have over 15k miles on my 6 and there is not a single paint chip on any painted surface. If "paint swirl marks" are a "anal issue" for you, don't buy a 6! Most folks are simply applying several coats of "Liquid Glass" and they are "golden". This is one remarkable bike/machine and I'm beginning to get the impression, the paint issue is blown out of proportion! Maybe it's just me, but I'm well beyond the days of paint/chrome perfection! The 6 is a "rider" pure and simple! Buy it, ride it like you stole it and the swirl marks, if any, will be the last thing on your mind:icon_wink:

luckyluciano
04-23-2014, 06:41 AM
Has anyone tried Opti-coat? It's like a clearcoat sealant that lasts years. Might be the solution. Many swear by it.

SpeedyWho
04-23-2014, 07:42 AM
I started all the paint threads...

Yes the paint isn't up to Hondas standards in my opinon, take extra care of it and wax it plenty and you should be fine. I choose to not to let it bother me anymore. It's unfortunate the paint is subpar but this bike is outstanding otherwise. This bike has so much going for it and it's a blast to ride I find myself less concerned about paint these days

Phantom
04-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Has anyone tried Opti-coat? It's like a clearcoat sealant that lasts years. Might be the solution. Many swear by it.

Just watched a youtube video on this ..... looked impressive :icon_cool::yes:

royr
04-23-2014, 08:41 AM
I had a 2012 GL1800 ultra blue which had a clear coat on it. The clear coat on it did the same thing as my red F6B paint. It is not just the F6Bs, it is Honda's paint. For me, the paint issue is not that bad considering how much I like the bike.

1951vbs
04-23-2014, 08:47 AM
I have put on about 11,000 miles since Sepember and do not think the paint is much different than other black bikes I have had including the Victory Vision I traded for it. I wash it once a week, use quick detailer in-between but have not waxed it yet and although it does have some swirl marks I think it looks fine. Show quality? No, but good enough for my everday ride.

opas ride
04-23-2014, 09:20 AM
I personally had my bike custom painted by dealer before delivery, (My personal choice not paint issues), so I have had no problems yet..If your concerns are blocking your decision perhaps you could check out HOR's custom painted bikes...Most feel that the paint problems can be handled and should not prevent the purchase of this terrific bike.....

Scotrod
04-23-2014, 10:28 AM
I was already to pull the trigger when I read the paint thread on the problems people are having with their f6bs. So I'm having major 2nd thoughts. Here's what I'd like to ask everyone, who's NOT having paint issues with their f5bs?

I'm happy to report there have not been ANY paint problems reported on ANY f5b's. :icon_biggrin:

The 'issues' are all defined in the interpretation of the owners. (I have a HOR 6 in Ill Blue, Wife has OEM black 6 we also bought at HOR)

No real 'problem' with either. :icon_biggrin:

F6B-RICH
04-23-2014, 10:29 AM
I had a few body parts Hydro-Dipped.They stripped all of the Honda paint off first then they did there magic.My painter said my orginal Honda paint was NOT soft and appeared durable before he stripped it.Now I have some clear coated body parts and WOW what a difference.A lot easier to clean after a ride and no more fine scratches/marks from cleaning .batman-smilie.

luckyluciano
04-23-2014, 11:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvj80cB2HLc

let me know what you owners think. When I get my bike I am considering this coating. Hate scratches and swirls on black.
Not sure how it would work for 'SOFT PAINT".