PDA

View Full Version : Mustang seat report

royr
04-25-2014, 06:42 AM
Yesterday, I went for a ride on some two lane mountain roads close to me with my new Mustang standard seat. Here are some comments about the seat:

It is really fun to riding the F6B in the twisties with the Mustang seat position.
I like the added stability of being able to “really” flat foot the bike at stops, (30” inseam).
The seat itself is comfortable. No sliding forward or grippy material feeling a couple of owners have reported (the difference maybe standard vs tuck-n-roll).
Nice looking, well made seat.

Not so good for “me”, I have a problem with my legs bothering me when sitting. It is a problem I have had for a while. When I was working, sitting in a chair at my desk for extended periods made my legs uncomfortable. I had a 2012 GL1800 with a MBL sport kit and one of the reasons I traded it was because my legs would get uncomfortable when riding it. I got my F6B thinking that the different riding/seating position would work for me, and it did. However, I noticed yesterday my legs were getting a little uncomfortable toward the end of my ride. I am going to take it on longer ride, and see what happens.

F6B-RICH
04-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Thats a issue I have when picking a seat out.I am 6' 2" and when sitting my legs/knees need to be in a more down position.I was afraid to get the Mustang seat because it lowers you and figured my legs/knees would now be higher and that would not be good for me.Good luck with the seat and I hope it works out for you .batman-smilie.

hiflyer
04-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Thats a issue I have when picking a seat out.I am 6' 2" and when sitting my legs/knees need to be in a more down position.I was afraid to get the Mustang seat because it lowers you and figured my legs/knees would now be higher and that would not be good for me.Good luck with the seat and I hope it works out for you .batman-smilie.

Same with me, back surgery because of two ruptured discs twenty years ago. Mustang, the best looking seat out there, but I don't think it will work for me.

Scotrod
04-25-2014, 08:13 AM
If you want a seat that's easy on your legs/knees as well as your azz, I know exactly what works for me (and my wife on her 6).

I've had most all the 'popular' brand name seats over the years as well as OEM 'shaped/shaved' before,,, All pretty much the same 'triangle' shaped seating area,,, Therein lies the problem,,, Ya need something with more hip/upper thigh support than a 'triangle' can provide.

But, that kinda seat ain't 'sexy', so I'm not sure y'all would be interested in something like that,,, :stirthepot:

hiflyer
04-25-2014, 08:24 AM
If you want a seat that's easy on your legs/knees as well as your azz, I know exactly what works for me (and my wife on her 6).

I've had most all the 'popular' brand name seats over the years as well as OEM 'shaped/shaved' before,,, All pretty much the same 'triangle' shaped seating area,,, Therein lies the problem,,, Ya need something with more hip/upper thigh support than a 'triangle' can provide.

But, that kinda seat ain't 'sexy', so I'm not sure y'all would be interested in something like that,,, :stirthepot:

Oh, don't be so sure! I just got an extra seat from a forum member so I can have one of those "butt uglys" built.

F6B-RICH
04-25-2014, 08:26 AM

I am and my ass is happy with the Corbin.The Corbin is not a lower seat thats why I went with it.Is it hard YES does my ass like it YES will it get softer with more miles :shrug: .batman-smilie.

Scotrod
04-25-2014, 09:29 AM
If you want a seat that's easy on your legs/knees as well as your azz, :

My knees can't stand 'triangle' shaped seats. The shape/extra support of my 'thugly' seat changes all that. :icon_biggrin:

Dave Ritsema
04-25-2014, 09:43 AM
I have always had good luck with Ultimate Seats on my Valkyries and looking forward to putting an Ultimate on my F6B next month.

Scotrod
04-25-2014, 10:47 AM
By all means, ride what ya like.

As the OT here is about Mustang/sore legs, the OP might also benefit from some highway pegs,,, simply to enable different leg positions during riding,,,, move around a bit, if only for a few minutes,,, :shrug:

royr
04-25-2014, 10:54 AM
I have been thinking about a set of Rivco Aero pegs.

F6B-RICH
04-25-2014, 11:27 AM

I have and yes they will help .batman-smilie.

Texas TC
04-25-2014, 11:42 AM
I have 7000 miles on my Mustang seat. I love the seat and comfort. I do, however, have the 3/4" dropped mini Kury floorboards and Kury Ergo II highway pegs. My longest day with this combination was 1105 miles in 16.5 hours and it has worked well for me.

royr
04-25-2014, 05:16 PM
I am in soooo deep on items for this bike, I guess I can survive one more without drowning?? I can rationalize them by saying they are for comfort/function.

Texas TC
04-25-2014, 05:46 PM
I go through the same thought process. I have been able to justify everything I have prchased for the F6B as additions for comfort, safety, or function except my Torq Master exhaust. Those, I just plain wanted.:icon_wink:

stepbill
04-25-2014, 07:50 PM
I have 7000 miles on my Mustang seat. I love the seat and comfort. I do, however, have the 3/4" dropped mini Kury floorboards and Kury Ergo II highway pegs. My longest day with this combination was 1105 miles in 16.5 hours and it has worked well for me.

Curious if the drop boards affect your cornering?

Scotrod
04-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Curious if the drop boards affect your cornering?

Depends on how aggressive you ride. I can have a helluva lotta fun when I'm finally down to scrapin my drop boards. For others, it isn't enough.

If you are scrapin the OEM pegs on a regular basis, you will not like the drop boards.

Steve 0080
04-26-2014, 02:26 PM
" rationalize"...Justify".......What....I thought we were just adding ...bling-bling

Wmorgan2k
04-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Does anyone have some comments from passengers on the Mustang seat? That shape with the bulge in the back doesn't not look comfy for a passenger. I like the look of it, I'm sure it's better that stock but the passenger area seems kinda :yikes:

Gripper
05-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Royr,

Any update on the Mustang seat after having it for a while? I am still waiting for my Tuck-n-Roll to come in and just wondered how yours was treating you now that you have had it a little while.

royr
05-18-2014, 04:28 AM
It did not work for me. I have problems with leg discomfort me when legs do not have a more open knee bend. The lower seat position increased the bend in my legs and was not very comfort for me on longer rides. However, it was really fun to ride in the curves with the lower seat position.

I sold it

CaptRob
05-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Same with me, back surgery because of two ruptured discs twenty years ago. Mustang, the best looking seat out there, but I don't think it will work for me.

I Have herniated disc 4-5 need surgery, getting injections for the last year. I too was worried that the Mustang would be bad for me. My stock seat was okay and my street glide pretty good. I put 500 miles on yesterday mustang roll and tuck , and it felt great with the lower back support. The butt is not as soft as some but, it is totally comfortable for me.

CheckpointChcky
05-28-2014, 10:04 PM
I have always had good luck with Ultimate Seats on my Valkyries and looking forward to putting an Ultimate on my F6B next month.

Yep.....have owned three of them for my various bikes and loved them.....could ride all day only stopping for gas....no discomfort at all.

CheckpointChcky
05-31-2014, 04:27 PM
The description says it sits you back further from the handlebars. I'm stretching far enough now. Do you guys notice the seat sitting you back further?

Idle
12-19-2014, 12:06 PM
I have to say the Mustang seat looks like it would do the trick if your main concern is being flat footed. I just spent $200 and sent my seat to Mean City Cycles, and I have to say I don't see much of a difference, at least not like I had hoped. I do notice a greater bend in my knees, but I'm definitely not flat footed. Thinking I may still eventually purchase the Mustang seat.

XKnight
12-19-2014, 05:32 PM
The description says it sits you back further from the handlebars. I'm stretching far enough now. Do you guys notice the seat sitting you back further?

It definitely pushed me back from the bars compared to stock. Part if it depends on how you sit in the seat. I sit all the way back against the seat so it did push me back. I also ended up installing helibars which allowed me to move the bars closer to me. The heli bars have probably been the single best improvement for overall comfort.

cosborn
12-19-2014, 05:40 PM
I had a hip replacement a couple of years back and the fact that the Mustang tuck & roll is a bit lower than the stock seat is the only thing holding me back from buying one. If Mustang had the same seat a bit higher it would be great.

Chris