PDA

View Full Version : MadStad windshield

royr
04-25-2014, 07:30 AM
I have had my 13” clear Madstad on my F6B for a while and really like it. The buffeting is removed and wind noise is very minimal. Riding at highway and interstate speeds is much more enjoyable. I have not ridden in the rain yet, but judging from the number of bugs on the WS compared to the number bugs hitting my face/helmet (rarely), it handles the bugs very well. I originally had an 11” clear, but found it to be a little too short to get the air above my helmet.

I am 5’11”-6’ tall with a 30 inseam, stock seat, the WS is set a 60 degree angle and the height adjustment is raised ¾” to 1”. I look over the WS about 3”.

Scotrod
04-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Wife has a 13 on hers, 15 on mine. :yes:

One can experiment with almost endless combinations of rake/height. :yes:

Smooth air? YEP!

Quiet? YEP!

I've kept the OEM shield for S + G, Might play with it in the heat of summer, but, I can probably get that same effect simply by loosening 4 screws and removing the outer shield from the Madstad brackets and run just the Madstad 'base'

I figure it will probably take me all of about 10-15 miles to realize I like the ride / quiet / lack of 'facial projectiles' with the outer shield attached a whole lot better ! :icon_biggrin:

F6BPDX
04-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Okay, hold the phone, that is a different bracket than everyone else. :icon_twisted: It looks like it does away with all the extraneous holes and slots............could this fix my whistle?! :shrug: I believe I need to call Madstad unless that is a bracket you built (but I am assuming that is not the case).

Do tell!

Scotrod
04-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Hmm, those brackets are different than mine as well.

I kind of like all the 'possibilities' the extra holes provide, but it does look a little like an Erector set with all the extra holes,,, :shrug:

RE: could this fix my whistle?!

Eh,,, my Magic 8 ball said "No",,,, (Sorry,,,, Could be wrong :icon_razz:)

F6BPDX
04-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Hmm, those brackets are different than mine as well.

I kind of like all the 'possibilities' the extra holes provide, but it does look a little like an Erector set with all the extra holes,,, :shrug:

I have f'd with mine 6 ways to sunday and it always winds up back at all the way out and 60 degrees. The other adjustments just don't seem to work as well. Besides if it fixed the whistle I would install brackets made of concrete as it is my one ongoing complaint.

BuzzzPhotos
04-25-2014, 03:28 PM
I don't have a whistle but I see mine is different also. Looks like a newer mount. I've attached a photo of mine.

royr
04-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Okay, hold the phone, that is a different bracket than everyone else. :icon_twisted: It looks like it does away with all the extraneous holes and slots............could this fix my whistle?! :shrug: I believe I need to call Madstad unless that is a bracket you built (but I am assuming that is not the case).

Do tell!
I forgot about that. It is a new bracket and the top WS mounting holes are different than the old brackets and WSs. When I received my WS, the bracket holes did not match the top WS holes. I called them and they had sent me the new brackets and a WS with the old bracket spacing.

Scotrod
04-25-2014, 03:31 PM
if it fixed the whistle I would install brackets made of concrete

:yikes:

I understand the frustration,,, Different brackets certainly wouldn't hurt in this quest, but haven't you already covered the brackets with tape once to rule them out as the source?

Roy might be the only one with the new brackets. (Mine look like Buzz's)

I'm running in the middle set of the 3 bracket to bracket options. (Brackets were shipped to me in the outermost /highest set) Rake set almost exactly to OEM. 15 inch shield.

F6BPDX
04-25-2014, 03:37 PM
I forgot about that. It is a new bracket and the top WS mounting holes are different than the old brackets and WSs. When I received my WS, the bracket holes did not match the top WS holes. I called them and they had sent me the new brackets and a WS with the old bracket spacing.

Of course the holes are different.......because it would be too easy to be able to get the brackets and use them with the 11" and 13" shields that I already own.....

and Scotrod, yes I did, but I can still hope that the redesign changed something.....also I like the look of these new brackets better so it would be a win/win.

As a slight aside it's sad that Madstad is still having issues with sending out parts that don't work together. We have had guys get wrong parts (which wound up being a good thing for dshark but still) misdrilled holes, etc. Good thing they have a great product because they seem to make a lot of rookie errors in the order fulfillment/QC realm.

royr
04-25-2014, 03:43 PM
......As a slight aside it's sad that Madstad is still having issues with sending out parts that don't work together. We have had guys get wrong parts (which wound up being a good thing for dshark but still) misdrilled holes, etc. Good thing they have a great product because they seem to make a lot of rookie errors in the order fulfillment/QC realm.
It is not only MadStad. When I received my Mustang seat it had two screws taped to the bottom of the seat. Per the instruction sheet, they were two "phillips head" screws to use in place of the stock screws that you remove. Well problem was they sent me two "torx safety head" screws. Were did they come from and who has "torx safety head" sockets or wrenches in your toolbox?

Scotrod
04-25-2014, 03:44 PM
I never did 'meld' well with the 60 degree scenario,,, Been tilting shields all different ways on different bikes for a long time. The only way I could get ~smooth~ air and still have some breeze over my top helmet vents was to 'lay' the air over my helmet, not 'plow' through it.

(Hope that make sense)

Philbert40
04-26-2014, 10:34 AM
You can tell the past BMW owners by there how many Torx tools they own. I have a complete set."coffee"