PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mount the farkle shelf on a Madstad

Jabbasan
04-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Anyone mount the firecreek farkle shelf with a Madstad windshield?

http://www.firecreekacc.com/farkleshelf.htm

hiflyer
04-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Anyone mount the firecreek farkle shelf with a Madstad windshield?

http://www.firecreekacc.com/farkleshelf.htm

Not yet.......soon, very soon.

GONRDN
04-27-2014, 08:13 PM
If I got that much shit on my dash, I'll take my car. Where does this madness end!!!!:icon_lol:

hiflyer
04-27-2014, 08:23 PM
If I got that much shit on my dash, I'll take my car. Where does this madness end!!!!:icon_lol:

Well after today, I will be putting a radar detector on it. Got my first ticket in a long long time. 44 in a 30. I thought I was going 1 mile an hour under the speed limit, evidently it wasn't a 45 mph zone.

BillyDaFinn
04-27-2014, 11:10 PM

LOL! No Kidding!

kjelders
04-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Here's my Farkle Shelf with the Windbender Electric 11" smoke shield.

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2555&d=1381340006

Scotrod
04-28-2014, 01:11 PM
. I thought I was going 1 mile an hour under the speed limit, evidently it wasn't a 45 mph zone.

If ya thought you were in a 45, and you were doing 44,,, even if the detector was screaming bloody murder, would you really slow down to 35 or below? :shrug:

hiflyer
04-28-2014, 02:17 PM
If ya thought you were in a 45, and you were doing 44,,, even if the detector was screaming bloody murder, would you really slow down to 35 or below? :shrug:

That's like asking me, "If you weren't bald, would you need a comb?" Probably.

Scotrod
04-28-2014, 03:18 PM
My GPS does show on the screen what the speed limit is,,, most of the time its pretty darn accurate,,, (Kinda handy actually!)

All my radar detector's ever did was give me a false sense of security, and then let me know I was BUSTED!!! :crackup:

Scotrod
04-28-2014, 03:22 PM
That's like asking me, "If you weren't bald, would you need a comb?" Probably.

So if you thought you were in a 45, and the detector went off, you'd immediately slow down to 35?

And on a 55 mph highway, you'd pull back to 45, just because of radar?

Chit like that will get you pulled over and strip-searched here! :yikes:

hiflyer
04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
In town the detector would have probably been going off well in advance of getting me. I would have slowed and looked for the posted limit as opposed to day dreaming while enjoying the ride. Almost every ticket I've gotten, has been in town as opposed to the highway. BTW, my wife says I seem to enjoy a good strip search.

Hornblower
11-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Reviving this thread...has anyone mounted the farkle shelf on a Madstad???

mitch0850
11-11-2014, 09:02 PM

^^ +1 it would take 3 minutes to check every piece of equipment.

Jeffsf6b
11-12-2014, 05:52 PM
You could almost put a big screen TV on that

srt8-in-largo
11-12-2014, 10:10 PM
I've been thinking about getting one lately for the GPS, TPMS, and radar detector.

Hornblower
11-13-2014, 08:56 AM
I've been thinking about getting one lately for the GPS, TPMS, and radar detector.

Well, I can let you know pretty soon on how the Farkle Shelf Mini works with the Madstad. No one else seems to be offering any advice so it appears I will be the "test subject". Seems to be little doubt it can be mounted on the Madstad base but exactly what is required remains to be seen. I'll give a report when finished.

If anyone is curious about why this might be a good idea (and this is just for my personal application)...between my stiffer Traxxion Dynamics forks, fork brace, and HeliBars, my front has increased rigidity which makes handling considerably more precise. That's the good news. The bad news, if you want to call it that, is anything mounted to my bars shakes and vibrates a bit more than usual. As a result, I'm transferring all devices like GPS, XM radio, and radar detector to the shelf. I'll probably mount my action cam there as well.

kjelders
11-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Well, I can let you know pretty soon on how the Farkle Shelf Mini works with the Madstad. No one else seems to be offering any advice so it appears I will be the "test subject". Seems to be little doubt it can be mounted on the Madstad base but exactly what is required remains to be seen. I'll give a report when finished.

If anyone is curious about why this might be a good idea (and this is just for my personal application)...between my stiffer Traxxion Dynamics forks, fork brace, and HeliBars, my front has increased rigidity which makes handling considerably more precise. That's the good news. The bad news, if you want to call it that, is anything mounted to my bars shakes and vibrates a bit more than usual. As a result, I'm transferring all devices like GPS, XM radio, and radar detector to the shelf. I'll probably mount my action cam there as well.

Advice for the farkle shelf is to place you device(s) mounts as close to the windshield as possible. Any mounts out on the edge of the shelf is going to vibrate.

Hornblower
11-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Advice for the farkle shelf is to place you device(s) mounts as close to the windshield as possible. Any mounts out on the edge of the shelf is going to vibrate.

Makes sense. Thanks for that tip, Kevin!

dickiedeals
11-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Hey Hornblower, Farkle? Is that something you get after eating Popcorn?........................Dickie:crackup:

Hornblower
11-13-2014, 09:17 PM
:lolup:

Hornblower
11-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Well, now we know. I mounted the mini Farkle shelf to my Madstad today. Turns out it's a pretty good fit. The install is straightforward but a bit tedious depending on how many devices you want to add. In my case, I have a radar detector, a double USB weatherproof socket, a Garmin Zumo, an XM radio/antenna, and a Mobius action cam. I'll be posting pics in a day or two.

NCF6B
11-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Congrats, how did you connect the shelf to the madstadt base? Does it interfere with the adjustment of the windshield or the air flow?

Hornblower
11-23-2014, 06:44 AM
Congrats, how did you connect the shelf to the madstadt base? Does it interfere with the adjustment of the windshield or the air flow?

Hopefully, the soon-to-be-posted pics will answer most questions. For now though, the shelf connects to the Madstad base in the same way it connects to the Windbender base. You drill 6 holes and use stainless steel bolts. It's on there solidly. And, due to the way it is mounted, it has no effect on adjustment or air flow :icon_biggrin:.

NCF6B
11-23-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks, I think I will add it to my Christmas list!

Hornblower
11-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Pics as promised...

And another...

kjelders
11-24-2014, 11:36 AM
How long does it take to warm up the cockpit? Looks great Ken!

53driver
11-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Looks sharp....do you watch the voltmeter when turning everything on to give the alternator enough "recovery" time? Lol.

Hornblower
11-24-2014, 12:48 PM
How long does it take to warm up the cockpit? Looks great Ken!

Thanks, Kevin! The term hi-tech, red-neck comes to mind, don't you think? :yikes:

Hornblower
11-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Looks sharp....do you watch the voltmeter when turning everything on to give the alternator enough "recovery" time? Lol.

Well...now that you mention it, something seems to be draining my battery fairly rapidly when the key is switched to ACC. Wonder why that is :icon_rolleyes:

F6BPDX
11-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Well...now that you mention it, something seems to be draining my battery fairly rapidly when the key is switched to ACC. Wonder why that is :icon_rolleyes:

When I had that problem it was because I forgot to switch off the RonCo Food Dehydrator in the left bag before making myself a Cappuccino, so maybe give that a look. "coffee"

Hornblower
11-25-2014, 03:17 PM
When I had that problem it was because I forgot to switch off the RonCo Food Dehydrator in the left bag before making myself a Cappuccino, so maybe give that a look. "coffee"

:lolup: Sure seems like my flux capacitor would have offset that but maybe not :shrug:

F6BPDX
11-25-2014, 06:31 PM
:lolup: Sure seems like my flux capacitor would have offset that but maybe not :shrug:

Oh c'mon man, a flux capacitor only regulates incoming voltage it will do nothing for outgoing. Double check that your whatchamacallit is properly attached to your whizbanger and then get back to us.

Hornblower
11-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Oh c'mon man, a flux capacitor only regulates incoming voltage it will do nothing for outgoing. Double check that your whatchamacallit is properly attached to your whizbanger and then get back to us.

Good point :clap2: I had momentarily forgotten that a series capacitor is both a fault current limiter and voltage regulator. Sounds like I have a bit more checking to do. Wow, this board sure will keep you honest :yikes: