PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst of the F6B

TheShow
05-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering what you F6B owners think are the 3 best and worst things about the F6B?

jkelley
05-31-2013, 08:32 AM
For me coming off of a Harley, I like the quiet smooth power without spending thousands to get it to "run right"

the worst for me are:
foot position, ( still getting used to it from forward controls)
No Cruise control
Having to use the ignition key to unlock the bags
Piss poor paint!

I do like this bike a lot.

chipmaker
05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Hate the paint.
Having to use a key to start, Harley got that right. Not really a defect though.

Love this bike!!

Alberta Beagle
05-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Like - Engine, Handling, ABS Brakes

Dislike - Stock Windshield, Paint (it is typical of black), Have to use key for saddle bags.

Truth is I can live with the shortcomings as the strong points of this bike really overshadow the shortcomings.

I love my F6B and am fascinated by the number of compliments from non-riders and riders of all types of bikes.

The funniest was a mother and her young son who approached me at Starbucks and trhe kid asked me if I was Batman!!!! I've also had 3 other people tell me that the bike "looks like something Batman would ride". Very cool!!!

bigdew
05-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Likes- Engine, Power, Smoothness, Handling

Dislikes-Paint, To low ground cleareance ( Im killing my pegs and belly pan), All the keys needed to open everything.

Mustangjake
05-31-2013, 12:54 PM
I hated the windshield put on a honda line windshield, I change the brake pedal show Chrome, I change the shifter to kuryakyn - raised back rest
Added a go cruise -kuryakyn highway pegs - kuryakyn risers and I'm ordering a drivers backrest.
I gutted the muffler tips an drilled 7 - 1/2 holes in the muffler - I like the sound It don't even care if anybody else does

MNF6B
05-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Best:
Power
Agility
Looks

Worst:
Paint
Windshield
Paint

Rich

ddoug
05-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Best: power ,handling ,looks . Worst: windshield, non adjustable handlebars , windshield

Texas TC
05-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Best:Power, unique styling, and handling.

Worst:Windshield, paint, procedure for opening saddlebags.

MichaelG
05-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Best: power ,handling ,looks . Worst: windshield, non adjustable handlebars , windshield

Doug, the handlebars on this bike are adjustable. There are many ways to adjust them.

MichaelG
05-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Likes- Engine, Power, Smoothness, Handling

Dislikes-Paint, To low ground cleareance ( Im killing my pegs and belly pan), All the keys needed to open everything.

I would have to say that there is something wrong with your one particular bike, if you are killing your pegs and belly pan. Mine has over 7000 miles on it now, and I have not scraped my pegs once, and have not even scratched my belly pan. What are you running over ?

av8rdave
05-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Best thing: The power and smoothness

Worst thing: The paint on the side panels scratches from even being touched. This is a problem when you do things like check oil, maintain battery, etc.

Best thing: The handling. The low CG makes it feel like a much lighter bike than it actually is. It's a joy to ride.

Worst thing: The paint on the saddlebags. You have to touch them to close them, and they wind up with tons of surface scratches, some of which are impossible to get out.

Best thing: The look. What a beautiful bike!

Worst thing. The paint overall, and the treatment I'm getting from my local dealer (Honda Powersports of Marysville, Oh). It's a constant runaround. I've taken the bike in multiple times, and get everything from "we really don't see a problem" to "we can't help you without a case number from Honda."

erazor55
05-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Handling, excellent, like a slightly overweight sport bike. Maybe I'm the only thing that's slightly overweight:icon_biggrin:
No doubt, the looks are killer (windshield included). Can't count the number of compliments I've received.

Don't particularly like:
Rear brake. It could be me, but depending on how applied, the rear isn't as consistent as the front brake
Almost too quiet... What? I can pull into my parking lot at work and without trying to, sneak up on people when I'm parking
The windshield. I know, it's part of the allure, but not pleasant on longer rides.

bigdew
06-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Miles- Im not running over anything. Its just when cornering. Almost every other corner I take im scraping pegs.

Alberta Beagle
06-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I would have to say that there is something wrong with your one particular bike, if you are killing your pegs and belly pan. Mine has over 7000 miles on it now, and I have not scraped my pegs once, and have not even scratched my belly pan. What are you running over ?

I agree!!! I don't have as many miles on my bike as Miles does but I have only scraped a peg once.

jlig
06-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Maybe he rides a little more Aggressively than you ??? Just sayin.

SpeedyWho
06-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I'll drag a foot peg from time to time in the twisties if I'm really getting after it. I got one good today ripping thought the Salt River Canyon.

Mrf13
06-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Like - Engine, Handling, ABS Brakes

Dislike - Stock Windshield, Paint (it is typical of black), Have to use key for saddle bags.

Truth is I can live with the shortcomings as the strong points of this bike really overshadow the shortcomings.

I love my F6B and am fascinated by the number of compliments from non-riders and riders of all types of bikes.

The funniest was a mother and her young son who approached me at Starbucks and trhe kid asked me if I was Batman!!!! I've also had 3 other people tell me that the bike "looks like something Batman would ride". Very cool!!!

ABS Brakes??

SpeedyWho
06-01-2013, 08:07 PM
The Great White North riders get ABS.

Mrf13
06-01-2013, 08:10 PM
O
Sucks for me

Steve 0080
06-01-2013, 09:38 PM
I rode the twistys as hard as I would with my wife on the back....today going up to Highland N.C. fully loaded about #400 and tried to drag somehing but did not....I have my rear shock setting at 4 lines showing from full soft....

Westy
06-01-2013, 11:46 PM
We Get ABS in Aus as well. :yes:
I agree the short screen is not good at all has anyone got the taller sceen and how do you like it?

FlyinF
06-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Hey Westy, does the F6 in Aus have paint and stumble problems as stated in this forum..........just curious. I have convertible baggershield and it works great.

small change
06-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I agree!!! I don't have as many miles on my bike as Miles does but I have only scraped a peg once.

Maybe it's not the bike it's the rider being a little heavy I have that problem also, but I love the low rider look working on losing the weight lol

Westy
06-02-2013, 04:49 PM
FlyinF I haven't noticed any issues with the paint as yet but I haven't given it a first wash yet. I have only scraped the pegs a couple of times and I was pushing the bike hard.

Hayabusa
06-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Worse -
CHEAP PAINT JOB
RECALL(recall 4/30/2012 -NHTSA ID# 10512486) -not sure what this is as I found it on another post on this forum.

Best - What I expected as this is my third Goldwing -the Goldwing 1500s that I had really had top notch paint jobs. I even had a BLACK Valkyrie 1500 where the paint quality was much better than the F6B.. the F6B paint job is cheap and a bad excuse for a paint job. If I knew the paint job would be this bad, I definitely would have bought a different bike :banghead: The paint job is cheaper than what Suzuki uses on their cheaper cruisers in the M50 and larger. Hayabusa, BMWs, etc has a much higher quality of paint. F6B is not worth the price for what you get which is simply a Goldwing with cheap paint :no:

MichaelG
06-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Maybe he rides a little more Aggressively than you ??? Just sayin.

And my response to that is...BS. Period !

Grinding your pegs through the curves and corners is NOT a sign of someone riding more aggressively. It is a sign of a rider not knowing how to take a line through a curve or corner.

Hey, I am saying that as politely as I can.

In my younger days, I used to flat track a '67 BSA 441 Victor, mounted in a '67 Rickman nickle-plated frame, at the indoor track in Monroe, WA, and at Castle Rock, WA. I have been known to take a Goldwing and beat the pants off a CBR919 through the Dragons Tail, and shock the 919 rider. I do know how to ride a bike, very well, and if need be I can power-slide this F6B through a hard curve or corner.

But a really good rider does not need to scrape their footpegs at all. In all my miles of riding...mileage that has been verified and documtented by the IBA, I believe that I scrape my pegs less than anyone I know of. If a riders' idea of riding hard and aggressively is to scrape the pegs in every corner, then they need to go back to riding school, or...go to riding school in the first place...and yes...I do teach private riding lessons.

Darkknight
06-03-2013, 05:10 AM
PROS...
I like best is the "what IS that" factor. :shock:
The smooth Power
Handling.

I'm not seeing flaws in my black paint. The paint seems soft on the plastic but it's not chipped or blistered. I do have a couple of deep scratches from sweethearts boots hitting the saddlebags.

CONS...
Foot position and shifter. Coming from forward cruiser I had difficulty getting used to the straight up sitting position. Also my big boots didn't fit well under the shifter. I did go with Black mini Boards and set them on the far back setting. Gave me ample room for the shifter and my steel toe work boots. They did not add to dragging on the corners but that does happen about as often as the stock pegs. It my driving I guess. I tend to bend that baby over in the turns.:icon_razz:

Cruise control would be nice.

Being able to leave the saddlebags unlocked would be nice also.

SpeedyWho
06-03-2013, 09:18 AM
I guess I have no Idea how to ride my bike, because a few times my pegs touched the ground in a corner while I was carving up a mountain road. I guess its off to riding school for me... :jerkit:

You know what? You really come off as a dick, instead of being helpful you talk down to everybody. Hell I dont care how much time you spent on a bike, I'll never ride a third of those miles nor do I care to. I have other things in my life besides the bike.

bigdew
06-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Well Miles I guess I suck at riding a motorcycle. I was making a con that I was having with this particular bike. All the bikes I have owned Suzuki M50,Suzuki m109R, Honda Rune, Triumph Rocket III, Honda ST1300, and Honda F6B. With the suspension adjusted up this is the lowest ground clearance bike I have owned. Yes I do ride aggressively, but on normal turns I scrap pegs 75% more than the other bikes I have owned. I don't do it on purpose just to scrape pegs or I wouldn't be pissed that my belly pan or exhaust cover is already scraped to hell. I was making a (con) point from what I have owned before that I have on the F6B.

MichaelG
06-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Gentlemen, you both can be mad at me, if that is what you choose to do, but I am simply pointing out that there is no need or reason to scrape the pegs, or the belly pan, or the exhaust shields on this bike, if everything is set up correctly, and if the rider enters and exits the corners/curves correctly. It is very easy to call me names, because I speak frankly, and forthrightly. But the issue at hand is not my public persona, it is that someone is scratching the pegs and belly pan and exhaust shields on a consistent basis.

If a rider only scrapes their pegs once in awhile, that is acceptable. A lot of riders get a little too much lean angle, or the wrong line into or out of a corner every once in a while. That is not a problem.

The problem is...and was originally stated as...that bigdew was killing his pegs and belly pan. And you just stated that you are doing this consistently. So, that takes the reply by the SpeedyWho out of the equation, because you only scrape your pegs intermittently. The bigdew does it consistently.

I would love to look at your bike and figure out HOW you are scraping your belly pan, and exhaust shields, as I have never known anyone to scrape those.

But, let's take "me" out of this picture, because obviously you two do not want to take my word for this, or anything. I would love to know how many other riders that have had a belly pan on a GL-1800 Wing, have ever scraped their belly pan, or the exhaust shields.

Just because you do not like my answers, or comments...does not mean I am wrong, or that you are riding the bike correctly. That is why the MSF offers an ERC class. Evem I recently took a 3 wheeled sidecar/trike classs, because in our state you have to take this class to get the endorsement to ride a sidecar rig or trike. I aced the class, was asked by the lead instructor if I wanted to be an instructor for them, and then he realized that I had been, for the ERC classes, for more than 20 years. Duh !

bigdew
06-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Miles I am not mad at anyone. I could care less what is said back and forth. I am ERC qualified and have to be every 3 years being in the Army so I do get MSF trained on proper techniques of riding on a constant basis. Trust me I don't want to scrape pegs, belly pans, or exhaust shields. It all cost money to fix and replace. Im just trying to figure out the best set-up for this bike since I am grinding a lot compared to everything else I have owned. I have rarely scrapped pegs in my riding experience before but with this F6B im tearing stuff up. That is why its my con.

ghostrider
06-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's just a matter of the faster you go through a curve the more the bike leans and the more likely you will scrape something no matter what line you take. I ran my bike from Boise to Loman at a pretty fast pace and never scraped anything. I was satisfied with the clearance, making a mental note to myself that if I start scraping stuff I'm going too fast.

As far as scraping the belly pan, I'm going to have to look at my bike at home and get a straight edge out because I would guess it's almost impossible to do and even if you did, scraping something that close to the vertical center line of the bike is disaster waiting to happen because of losing the gripping down pressure on the tire.

MichaelG
06-04-2013, 03:50 PM
I am thinking that I 'might" have an answer to this phenomenon, but I will start a new thread, as we have veered off track on this thread.

Trust me, the new thread will be worth reading, as it concerns something my dealer and I discovered today.

ghostrider
06-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Best: Having a great touring/sport bike.
The silky smooth power and torque.
Having a bike that's in it's own class.
Looks.
City traffic friendly.
The riding addiction from being so fun to ride.

Worst: The paint.
Cold hesitation.

SpeedyWho
06-04-2013, 10:51 PM
I aint mad at anybody, Miles post caught me at the wrong time and I didn't agree with him, that being said. This site is a great for guys like me would know little about the Goldwing world. Not to long ago I was that punk Kid standing on the pegs of my CBR riding wheelies down the highway. I'm learning a lot about this area of the motorcycle world, I'm interested in the IBA rides. I drove truck for a while and I love road trips so IBA is in my radar here. Anyway no need to call people out or anything, Miles I dig your stlye, no hard feelings

Phantom
06-04-2013, 11:30 PM
I aint mad at anybody, no hard feelings

………………………………………….. :headbang:

ghostrider
06-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's just a matter of the faster you go through a curve the more the bike leans and the more likely you will scrape something no matter what line you take. I ran my bike from Boise to Loman at a pretty fast pace and never scraped anything. I was satisfied with the clearance, making a mental note to myself that if I start scraping stuff I'm going too fast.

As far as scraping the belly pan, I'm going to have to look at my bike at home and get a straight edge out because I would guess it's almost impossible to do and even if you did, scraping something that close to the vertical center line of the bike is disaster waiting to happen because of losing the gripping down pressure on the tire.

Ok, I just noticed my belly pan was scrapped up on the bottom so I stand corrected...you can scrape the belly pan. :banghead:

Retired Army
06-17-2013, 08:26 AM
When the perfect motorcycle that satisfies all riders is produced, it will not be available in America. Monopolies are illegal.

timjoebob
06-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Miles- Im not running over anything. Its just when cornering. Almost every other corner I take im scraping pegs.

What is the setting of your rear suspension? Turn it up. If your still scraping after that, go your dealer.

Gumby
06-17-2013, 09:14 PM
The windshield was worthless and the saddlebag thing was a pain, but both were very easily fixed so they don't count.

The worst 3 things are the paint, the dealers attitude about the paint and the lack of cruise.

The best are the comfort, power and handling. The looks are pretty great too.

Grinding foot pegs a problem? :jerkit: you want to ride a sport bike, buy a sport bike. Try riding that hard on anybody else's cruiser/tourer.

fl1madmax
07-23-2013, 09:43 PM
For me coming off of a Harley, I like the quiet smooth power without spending thousands to get it to "run right"

the worst for me are:
foot position, ( still getting used to it from forward controls)
No Cruise control
Having to use the ignition key to unlock the bags
Piss poor paint!

I do like this bike a lot.

I just saw how to fix bag locking, get extra Key made and cut off head, get Honda rubber radio Knob, glue Key in radio knob after
you put slice in it and always leave it in back, just turn knob every time you want to open bags! Great Idea, you can also make one for Glove box if
you havent already chenged it out for Karyakan glove box replacement I love mine, JB

mike neal
07-24-2013, 09:01 AM
The good....handles like a sport bike after you dial in the rear shock. All day riding - no problem and tons of torque which allows the rider to improve his/her riding technique with minimal effort.

The bad...paint is poor quality for the price of the bike, color selection sucks and needs a cruise control option.

The UGLY is the windscreen. Simply too short to be of any useful value for serious riders. Replaced mine with a National Cycle aftermarket. Added the air vent and chopped out the center slot. Used the stock screen for a template to drill new mounting holes to lower the screen 3 inches lower than the previous lowest position. Now the visual is "over" the top of the screen and it is high enough to move the bugs and air over my body but the helmet and rider view is unobstructed for more spirited riding. The air vent was a must in the summer heat of Texas.
Ride safe my friends.
Mike Neal
East Texas

bobbyf6b
07-24-2013, 10:24 AM
The good....handles like a sport bike after you dial in the rear shock. All day riding - no problem and tons of torque which allows the rider to improve his/her riding technique with minimal effort.

The bad...paint is poor quality for the price of the bike, color selection sucks and needs a cruise control option.

The UGLY is the windscreen. Simply too short to be of any useful value for serious riders. Replaced mine with a National Cycle aftermarket. Added the air vent and chopped out the center slot. Used the stock screen for a template to drill new mounting holes to lower the screen 3 inches lower than the previous lowest position. Now the visual is "over" the top of the screen and it is high enough to move the bugs and air over my body but the helmet and rider view is unobstructed for more spirited riding. The air vent was a must in the summer heat of Texas.
Ride safe my friends.
Mike Neal
East Texas

I don't see a windshield for the F6B on National's website. Did you buy a regular Goldwing windshield and drill it to fit?

Steve 0080
07-24-2013, 10:36 AM
I just bought a Honda tall shield for the trip to Franklin...I have the Bagger 17... and wanted taller for the trip...hope this helps...

MichaelG
07-24-2013, 11:34 AM
I just bought a Honda tall shield for the trip to Franklin...I have the Bagger 17... and wanted taller for the trip...hope this helps...

Yes, but..........there are 36 days left before the start of the gathering in Franklin, so......you have more than enough time to change it out a couple more times.:icon_wink:

Steve 0080
07-25-2013, 12:32 AM
That is true Miles...my issue is it will not stop raining...so tinkering with the bike is almost as good as riding the bike...