PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the new Valkyrie?

fast freddy
04-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Hey everyone,
Any thoughts about the new Valkyrie?

bobbyf6b
04-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Funny you should ask, I just saw and sat on my first one today. Sorry, but I think it's hideous. For lack of a better term, fugly. If they would have figured out a way to put the radiators in front, instead of on the sides, it would look way better. I didn't like how it felt when I sat on it either. The seat is so low I think it would be harder to shift than the F6B.

I also got to see and sit on the CTX 1300. It feels comfortable, but the handlebars are in the way of the mirrors. The best way I can describe it is funky.

bigdawg
04-28-2014, 11:53 PM
I think the Valkyrie looks tough and cool. Besides, I've always cared more about the motor and how the ride feels than the looks. I love the looks of several harleys, but every time I ride one I quickly change my mind about buying one. I rode the ctx1300 a few weeks ago and was very disappointed in how much they detuned that beautiful st1300 motor. No power. I rode the new Valkyrie last week and was blown away. It seemed much more powerful than my f6b and still gives me the feeling of a luxurious ride. I was concerned about the lack of windscreen and had been waiting to pull the trigger until Honda finally got around to showing me the tall windscreen and other accessories. Well I still haven't seen actual pictures of the accessories, but my dealer was able to show me drawings of them and installation diagrams they give the technicians. I bought a blue one today and it should be in later this week. Im keeping the f6b and st1300 and debating whether or not to trade in a 2002 st1100 and/or a 2005 rune.

Bob the bike
04-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Hi Bigdawg, Thanks for posting your thoughts on the new Valkyrie. This bike has not arrived in the UK yet and we are only getting the deluxe version in Red or Black. Both have abs. Unfortuanately this comes with the chrome dressings whereas the blue you have chosen has black fork legs, engine covers etc. I like the look of the blue bike.
I am considering the purchase of a Valkyrie or should I say F6C as it will be called in europe! I have a black F6B and love it. I would be grateful to know more details of the accessory drawings your dealer showed you. How does the screen mount, are their panniers for this bike? I am also looking forward to a report on how the Valkyrie rides and a comparison with the F6B.
Congratulations on your purchase.

fast eddie
04-29-2014, 10:01 AM
I think the new valk is probably one of the best looking bikes out there, and the blue is a really cool color. I now looks are subjective I can't see how someone could conceder it fugly, but I guess someone might think Rosie O'Donnell is hotter then Jessica Alba ! Oh well to each his own "coffee"

bobbyf6b
04-29-2014, 12:09 PM
I think the new valk is probably one of the best looking bikes out there, and the blue is a really cool color. I now looks are subjective I can't see how someone could conceder it fugly, but I guess someone might think Rosie O'Donnell is hotter then Jessica Alba ! Oh well to each his own "coffee"

Rosie O'Donnell is fugly, just like the new Valk. To each his own.

Darren
04-29-2014, 12:17 PM
headlight is cool no bulbs to change, sounds expensive to replace though

TitansFan
04-29-2014, 12:49 PM
I saw a picture of the new Valk in a writeup in Rider magazine and thought it was the coolest bike I had seen in a long time, so I went down to the local dealership to see one in person. They didn't have any, then I started wishing that they made Valkyries with a fairing and sidebags for longer rides. Went back to the dealer a few weeks later to see if they ever got any Valks. Still none, but then I saw her. The most beautiful one in the room (and with substance under that beautiful exterior I would find out later). After reading several reviews I was in love. And that's how I met my F6B..score10/10

bobbyf6b
04-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Just because I think it's fugly doesn't mean it's not cool. I can think of a few other bikes that fit that category. The B-King, the Versys, and the Boss Hoss. They might be fugly, but they're cool as hell in their own way.

I also don't feel I deserve to be insulted for my opinion. It's just an opinion.

hiflyer
04-29-2014, 02:14 PM
I sat on one the other day. Thought it felt really nice. Styling is different for sure, but I think they did a great job considering the platform from which this bike was built. That said, for the first time in many years, I own just one bike for a reason. The F6 does everything I want to do.

opas ride
04-29-2014, 03:37 PM
I have only seen the pictures so far. It looks good enough to me for what it is intended to be, fast, good handling, and Honda reliability...But I will stick with my F6B as it does everything I need a bike to do and I intend to keep it for a long time as my riding days are getting numbered as I approach my 75th year......As long as I can swing the old leg across the seat I am good to go!!...Trikes are not my bag yet, maybe someday.....

Ericb445
04-29-2014, 06:14 PM
I stopped in my dealer that had one today........Man its ugly.
The rear fender is hideous "Well" the whole thing is hideous.
I'm glad I have F6B.

Cool Hand Luke
04-29-2014, 09:15 PM
I saw it and sat on it during Daytona Bikeweek. In my opinion this bike is in search of it's own identity and design is confusing. What is it, a cruiser or sport tourer or maybe a version of a standard? Here is why:

Cruiser riders want a chromed bike with metal tanks, fenders etc. Cruiser riders want to see an engine exposed and as little plastic on the bike as possible. And most of all cruiser guys love their v-twin motors the most. This bike is all plastic, motor is very hidden and what's exposed is very boring to look at. It has very little chrome (I actually prefer the blacked out version in blue). Also, leg position for a cruiser is all wrong. Cruisers are made to be stretched out and comfy for slow riding (hence cruising) around town, which usually means feet forward. This bike felt cramped in comparison (I'm 6') and due to engine design it is impossible to stretch your legs further without putting legs very apart. Also, cruisers have either no radiator or it is nicely hidden in the middle. This bike has two of them with unattractive huge plastic shrouds around them making the bike look like it has very broad shoulders in the front, making the headlight look small in proportions. As far as 'power cruisers' go there is again too much plastic as well as engine being hidden from view where the whole purpose of having a muscle engine is to display it and make you excited to see it.

Sport tourer? Because this bike is really half a F6B when you think about it. Same engine and transmission, nothing really new here, and the bottom half looks very similar. Hell, I think that the plastic shroud arond the engine with fog light mounts is the same or extremely similar to the one on F6B. Even the fog lights cutouts are square with no square lights offered yet by Honda to fit there! The smoothness of this engine makes it a great sport touring ride, provided of course that Honda comes out with windshield and bags for it. I'm actually surprised to see Honda revealing this bike without these items showcased right away, I think that is a marketing mistake. It would seem that the legs have great protection from the elements, but somehow the top half of the body is left totally exposed. I think with bags and some kind of windshield or even fairing this bike will defeat it's purpose as a cruiser and be closer to F6B mission as a sport tourer. But there already is F6B, which does this much better.

Standard Bike? I'd say yes, more so than a cruiser due to upright seating position, not very forward pegs and also no wind protection to upper torso at all. In fact, I believe this is where this bike belongs the most. But, we all know standard bikes don't sell here much, so we better call it a cruiser as they are the number one selling category of bikes in the US.

So, a conflicting design with no real improvements over the existing designs. However, it should be a great riding bike, because of the upright comfortable ergos, powerful yet smooth engine and transmission and great Honda reliability and quality. I think this is a bike that can eat Harleys for breakfast in every department except the looks but I don't believe it will be a big seller for Honda due to one big fact- Harley guys, hell all cruiser guys really ultimately want a Harley. People that will buy this Valkyrie in my opinion will not be converts from the Harley fold, not much anyway, due to it's looks and other things I mentioned earlier. I also believe that many previous Valkyrie owners will not buy this version in drones as it is much different in design elements than the previous ones. I also don't see many GW and F6B converts. I think that people buying it will be existing Honda guys and GW/F6B/Older Valk owners that want to add this one to their stable due to their love of engine and Honda proven reliability. Some will buy it so they would be different from a typical cruiser rider.

But to me, as nice as this version of Valkyrie is, it is not very attractive looking and it seems like a half of F6B, in fact an F6B without fairing and bags. Which is not enough for me to buy one now. I believe their price will drop with time as some will sit in dealerships after a while and be sold at discounts. I think they are overpriced, hell they almost cost as much as F6B (I paid $17,350 out the door for mine new Standard Black) and the true price should be less than $15,000 to sell decent.

I do applaud Honda for making it and not blindly following the Harley mainstream design like so many other manufacturers. It should prove to be a great riding and reliable bike with more power than most cruisers out there. I am looking forward to seeing some customized versions in the future addressing some design shortcomings, such as an abundance of plastic covers etc. Hell, I may even get one in the future when the price is much lower and after I see the windshield and saddlebags looks first.

Sorry for the long post but you asked! :039:

Ericb445
04-29-2014, 09:24 PM
I saw it and sat on it during Daytona Bikeweek. In my opinion this bike is in search of it's own identity and design is confusing. What is it, a cruiser or sport tourer or maybe a version of a standard? Here is why:

Cruiser riders want a chromed bike with metal tanks, fenders etc. Cruiser riders want to see an engine exposed and as little plastic on the bike as possible. And most of all cruiser guys love their v-twin motors the most. This bike is all plastic, motor is very hidden and what's exposed is very boring to look at. It has very little chrome (I actually prefer the blacked out version in blue). Also, leg position for a cruiser is all wrong. Cruisers are made to be stretched out and comfy for slow riding (hence cruising) around town, which usually means feet forward. This bike felt cramped in comparison (I'm 6') and due to engine design it is impossible to stretch your legs further without putting legs very apart. Also, cruisers have either no radiator or it is nicely hidden in the middle. This bike has two of them with unattractive huge plastic shrouds around them making the bike look like it has very broad shoulders in the front, making the headlight look small in proportions. As far as 'power cruisers' go there is again too much plastic as well as engine being hidden from view where the whole purpose of having a muscle engine is to display it and make you excited to see it.

Sport tourer? Because this bike is really half a F6B when you think about it. Same engine and transmission, nothing really new here, and the bottom half looks very similar. Hell, I think that the plastic shroud arond the engine with fog light mounts is the same or extremely similar to the one on F6B. Even the fog lights cutouts are square with no square lights offered yet by Honda to fit there! The smoothness of this engine makes it a great sport touring ride, provided of course that Honda comes out with windshield and bags for it. I'm actually surprised to see Honda revealing this bike without these items showcased right away, I think that is a marketing mistake. It would seem that the legs have great protection from the elements, but somehow the top half of the body is left totally exposed. I think with bags and some kind of windshield or even fairing this bike will defeat it's purpose as a cruiser and be closer to F6B mission as a sport tourer. But there already is F6B, which does this much better.

Standard Bike? I'd say yes, more so than a cruiser due to upright seating position, not very forward pegs and also no wind protection to upper torso at all. In fact, I believe this is where this bike belongs the most. But, we all know standard bikes don't sell here much, so we better call it a cruiser as they are the number one selling category of bikes in the US.

So, a conflicting design with no real improvements over the existing designs. However, it should be a great riding bike, because of the upright comfortable ergos, powerful yet smooth engine and transmission and great Honda reliability and quality. I think this is a bike that can eat Harleys for breakfast in every department except the looks but I don't believe it will be a big seller for Honda due to one big fact- Harley guys, hell all cruiser guys really ultimately want a Harley. People that will buy this Valkyrie in my opinion will not be converts from the Harley fold, not much anyway, due to it's looks and other things I mentioned earlier. I also believe that many previous Valkyrie owners will not buy this version in drones as it is much different in design elements than the previous ones. I also don't see many GW and F6B converts. I think that people buying it will be existing Honda guys and GW/F6B/Older Valk owners that want to add this one to their stable due to their love of engine and Honda proven reliability. Some will buy it so they would be different from a typical cruiser rider.

But to me, as nice as this version of Valkyrie is, it is not very attractive looking and it seems like a half of F6B, in fact an F6B without fairing and bags. Which is not enough for me to buy one now. I believe their price will drop with time as some will sit in dealerships after a while and be sold at discounts. I think they are overpriced, hell they almost cost as much as F6B (I paid $17,350 out the door for mine new Standard Black) and the true price should be less than $15,000 to sell decent.

I do applaud Honda for making it and not blindly following the Harley mainstream design like so many other manufacturers. It should prove to be a great riding and reliable bike with more power than most cruisers out there. I am looking forward to seeing some customized versions in the future addressing some design shortcomings, such as an abundance of plastic covers etc. Hell, I may even get one in the future when the price is much lower and after I see the windshield and saddlebags looks first.

Sorry for the long post but you asked! :039:

Well said.

hiflyer
04-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Maybe Honda designers really want a Ducati Diavel:icon_wink:

bobbyf6b
04-29-2014, 10:45 PM
Muscle Cruiser is a term that might fit. M-109, Mean Streak, Diavel, V-Rod, V-Max, etc

I had a Magna V65. Loved that bike!

SpeedyWho
04-30-2014, 12:09 AM
Muscle Cruiser is a term that might fit. M-109, Mean Streak, Diavel, V-Rod, V-Max, etc

I had a Magna V65. Loved that bike!

It may be muscle for a Honda product, but the VMAX and Diavel are on a whole different level. I rode a VMAX last year and it was simply... F***KING AWESOME:yikes::yikes: I cant believe they sell that bike to the general public.

bigdawg
04-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Hi Bigdawg, Thanks for posting your thoughts on the new Valkyrie. This bike has not arrived in the UK yet and we are only getting the deluxe version in Red or Black. Both have abs. Unfortuanately this comes with the chrome dressings whereas the blue you have chosen has black fork legs, engine covers etc. I like the look of the blue bike.
I am considering the purchase of a Valkyrie or should I say F6C as it will be called in europe! I have a black F6B and love it. I would be grateful to know more details of the accessory drawings your dealer showed you. How does the screen mount, are their panniers for this bike? I am also looking forward to a report on how the Valkyrie rides and a comparison with the F6B.
Congratulations on your purchase.

The bike feels much quicker and more compact than the f6b. It is much more fun and exhilarating to twist the throttle. It seemed even more rock solid in a straight line and still cornered very well for a big bike, but feels like it has a little higher center of gravity because the gas is carried in the tank only and none under the seat like the f6b. The exhaust note is noticeably deeper, but not too loud for my tastes. I noticed the throttle turns very easily and can be a little tricky to control when going over bumps. The suspension feels more stiff and sporty, but still very comfortable, controlled and luxurious. The seat is a little firm, but well shaped and comfortable at least for the short ride I had. The only thing I didn't like was the wind blast that hit me in the chest, but the windscreen will hopefully take care of that. I just hope it's tall enough and shaped to avoid buffeting. I looks like a decent sized shield. It attaches to the handlebars with a nice looking bracket. It does not look easily removable. There are saddlebags that are mounted on bracket stays. The backrest and luggage attach to the inside of the grab rails with 2 bolts on either side. Easy to take off or put on for a trip. It looks to be the right size for the bike(medium sized rack) and the pad is rectangular and taller than the f6b. I like that is looks like I can have a muscle bike most of the time(with a windscreen) and easily add a backrest and luggage rack to pile stuff on for a decent trip.

Bob the bike
04-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks Bigdawg, I have read a couple of journalist reports on the new Valkyrie but I would rather hear about the bike from an owner, or soon to be owner who has ridden it!
I have owned every type of Goldwing from the GL1000 through to the GL1800 and a couple of 1500 Valkyries as well. I cannot praise the F6B enough but I am looking forward to getting a ride on the new Valkyrie. I look forward to your progress report when you pick the bike up from the dealer.

racer
04-30-2014, 08:40 PM
It may be muscle for a Honda product, but the VMAX and Diavel are on a whole different level. I rode a VMAX last year and it was simply... F***KING AWESOME:yikes::yikes: I cant believe they sell that bike to the general public.

The Valk is muscle for a honda product- a harley product- a triumph product- an Indian product- well, you get the idea.

The valk is a power cruiser, and one of the best. Most don't call a diavel a cruiser or the v-max for that matter.

But opinions vary.

Can't wait to see what the valk does the 1/4 mile in.

hiflyer
04-30-2014, 09:04 PM
The Valk is muscle for a honda product- a harley product- a triumph product- an Indian product- well, you get the idea.

The valk is a power cruiser, and one of the best. Most don't call a diavel a cruiser or the v-max for that matter.

But opinions vary.

Can't wait to see what the valk does the 1/4 mile in.

My reference to the Duc was in the styling dept. The Valk and the Duc are both "over the top" in that regard, and I like em both.

Scotrod
04-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Saw a couple at Honda of Houston last weekend. The blue is a nice color. It's 'different' looking, and the tank/rads do give you a 'fuggin humongous' sensation at tank level.

The display is pretty cool. Got a nice tone to the pipes,,,

Most certainly a greater sensation of speed w/o fairing/shield.

I had a VTX1800c,,, Powerful bike,,, When I bought it, I didn't want no dayum windshield, no dayum bags,,,

And after a while,,,, Yep,,,, Bolted all that chit on it,,,,

After that, it looked like a VTX1800c with chit bolted to it,,, :shrug:

Been buying 'baggers' ever since.

troypennock
04-30-2014, 10:14 PM
I have read that naked versions of solidly built bikes sell very well in the EU and not at all in The US. But, the US has a small and avid group of riders that will buy minimalist versions of well designed drivetrains. I missed the point, I had a Valkyrie Std, Tourer, and Interstate. It was the Std I missed when I moved on to other things. Yes, I will buy a Valkyrie at the end of the year. And, if I can help myself, I will not add much to it. I will see it for what it is and not spend a lot of money ruining it. It is a F6 with just what you need to get there, and no more. IMHO

CheckpointChcky
05-04-2014, 10:16 PM
I think it be ugggggglllllyyyyyy!

buefchris
05-05-2014, 10:18 AM
The front of the bike bold and different but as you work your way towards the rear, it's as if the design department was running out of ideas.
I had read a artical in the local paper about the Valkyrie, and one of the last statments was the as a option ABS was offered for another $1000!!! Now if this is true What the hell!?!??!!

Bob the bike
05-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Well the bike arrived in UK dealers two days ago, I have just got back from my local dealer where I managed to swing a leg over! Unfortuanately no test rides are available, very few of the bikes have made it to the UK and only in Red, not a Black one to be seen.
First impressions are that I like the seating position and reach to bars and pegs, even the looks of the bike grew on me and it is something I could live with............however, from a practical point of view this bike has many flaws.
To access the battery you have to remove the passenger seat, it is fixed from underneath by bolts. Then you have to remove two screws to take off the riders seat, then the battery can be accessed. OK this is not too much of an issue, how often do you need to access the battery I hear you cry.......Wait a minute, what if you wish to remove the rear wheel. First you do the above and remove the seats, then the rear grabrails (I would think this would be an issue if you have the accessories fitted that bolt to the grabrails). Next comes the rear mudguard (fender to you), followed by the rear plate bracket. Then you can undo the wheel bolts and remove the wheel.
Not forgetting that before you do any of this you either have to hoist the bike up or put it on a lift, there being no centre stand and I am not sure that the Goldwing one will fit due to different wheel sizes. Oh and you cannot lay the bike over because there are no rear crashbars. If you follow the riders manual the above description is the way to do it.
If I have got this wrong or you know of a different way to remove the rear wheel please let me know, because I really like this bike, but for now I will continue with my F6B as it is more practical.

bigdawg
05-10-2014, 08:56 AM
According to the owners manual it looks like you are right about the rear wheel removal. However, for battery access you just pull off the left side cover that is attached with 3 prongs and grommets just like the F6B. No tools required. As far as seat removal it is easier than the F6B seat removal in my opinion.

Steve 0080
05-10-2014, 10:43 AM
IMHO....ABS should at most be a $500 option and they are making money at that price!!!! Afew years from now the EPA will make it a requirement!

choptop
05-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Guy in a riding club I belong to got a 6 before me, actually last fall. In a Facebook post yesterday he alluded to the fact that he had sold his Vegas and got another bike. Met w/him today for a club ride and his new bike is a blue Valkyrie. Still has the black 6, wife did not want him to were it out cause she likes to ride on the back, so she gave him the ok to get another bike, what a woman !! He loves both the Valk and the 6, and who wouldn't.:icon_biggrin:

Bob the bike
05-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks Bigdawg for the corrected information regarding battery access.
Do you know if the Goldwing centre stand will fit the Valkyrie? There does not appear to be one listed as an accessory and I think that the different wheel sizes may be a problem. Any thoughts?
How are you getting on with the bike, how does the performance and fuel consumption compare with the F6B.

bigdawg
05-11-2014, 03:02 PM
I haven't seen any mention of a center stand either. I don't think it would work unless you have exhaust pipes shaped to accept the center stand in the up position like the F6B. I don't know about gas mileage yet because I've only filled up once after 180 miles and I'm not sure how much the dealership had put in it. I'm expecting the gas mileage to be about the same or a little better than the F6B because of the lower weight. The tank is .5 gallons smaller than the F6B so I expect needing to fill up every 190-200 miles depending on speed and driving situation.

I love the bike more every time I ride it. I have read a few articles that mention the firm suspension that can occasionally be harsh over bumpy rides. Don't believe them. What they don't know or don't mention is that Honda's factory setting on the preload is "18 clicks" from the lowest/softest setting. I turned the preload 9 clicks softer and it is now a more comfortable luxurious ride. The "firm seat" also seams to have gotten softer after approximately 150 miles and lowering the preload may have helped that as well. Now it may be one of the most comfortable stock seats I have ever had. The throttle has less of a spring or tension than the F6B and is much easier on the hand and wrist. I haven't noticed the engine hesitation when the engine is cold that is mentioned on the Goldwings and F6Bs. It definitely feels more sporty and muscular than the F6B and I find it more fun to ride--at least on short trips. I owned the newer version of the Vmax and enjoy the Valkyrie much much more. It does not have the scary as hell acceleration of the Vmax, but it still thrills and is much more smooth and refined. It also seems to have the potential of being a long distance touring bike depending on how the future accessories turn out. That was not very practical for the Vmax since it was not very comfortable and had such a small gas tank that you were looking for a gas station every 100 miles.

Wmorgan2k
05-12-2014, 11:27 PM
I really like the new Valk a lot, I'll probably pick one up later this year around christmas time. I want the blue one with the blacked out trim. Then I'm putting a windshield and some softbags and a passenger backrest and she'll be ready to go anywhere.