PDA

View Full Version : My Budget XM Radio Installation (Under $30)

Dave Ritsema
04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
I can't take any credit for any of the below, got the ideas from various posts on this forum. I picked up an XM audiovox brand 10 preset channel tuner for $25 on Amazon that was brand new in the box with the car kit included. I simply plugged in the power adapter to the powerport I had previously installed in the left fairing pocket, plugged in the audio input wire provided by Mother Honda and used a little two sided tape to secure the unit and antenna.

Total installation time less than 30 minutes including programming from XM. It is about to rain here so I can't verify reception while riding but stationary its fine. What little I did get to ride it seemed to cut out a few times so I don't know if I may have to move the antenna somewhere other than inside the pocket. There is plenty of cable so I am sure I can figure out something.
I opted for a three month subscription for $9.99 a month so all told I have less than $75 for the entire deal.

Funny thing is my buddy put XM on his hew Street Glide a few weeks ago and all the hardware from HD cost him over $400.

Phantom
04-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Funny thing is my buddy put XM on his hew Street Glide a few weeks ago and all the hardware from HD cost him over $400.

He purchased the DELUXE Edition .... It comes with lifetime Tow Truck Assistance and has a Oil reservoir that leaks from time to time :duck: :icon_razz: sorry, I couldn't help myself, please forgive me .... Honda is to blame for my insanity.

Dave .... nice job :icon_cool::yes:

Wild Bill
04-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Thanks Dave. That is what I am going to do to mine when I get the chance.

F6BPDX
04-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Adding XM to mine cost me about $600, but it came with a free GPS. :icon_rolleyes:

Steve 0080
04-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Put XM in your car or truck...add $3.50 per month for your mobil phone..... ( plus Data Use)......plug the phone into the bike done....

hiflyer
04-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Total installation time less than 30 minutes including programming from XM. It is about to rain here so I can't verify reception while riding but stationary its fine. What little I did get to ride it seemed to cut out a few times so I don't know if I may have to move the antenna somewhere

There are certain areas around my home area that mine cuts out, but in the wide open, and especially on the highway mine works fine. I like the antenna in the cubby, but you can run it up under the cowl and put it on the dash, or even leave it under the nose cowl. Looks good, enjoy!

Deer Slayer
04-29-2014, 08:58 PM
I put my sat antenna on the clutch reservoir with double stick tape on all three wings I have owned. :cheers:

F6BPDX
04-29-2014, 09:55 PM
I put my sat antenna on the clutch reservoir with double stick tape on all three wings I have owned. :cheers:

Mine is double sided taped to the right hand mirror. Looks a touch out of place i suppose but works well and put the wiring where I wanted.