PDA

View Full Version : Foot Controls

Elroy
04-29-2014, 05:11 PM
Greetings F-6ers!
New to the forum (love it, great info and members!), and picking up my black deluxe F6 tonight! At 26yrs old, I believe I'm towards the bottom of the F6 demographic. :icon_cool: I have some questions on foot controls I'd like to get some opinions on. I've seen the Kury mini boards and other members who say tilting it just forward slightly will give you plenty of boot clearance for upshifting. I'm also interested in floor boards with heel-toe shifters. Anyone have experience with these on their F6? The floorboard/heel-toe combo from Kury, looks nice, albeit chrome (trying my best to keep more chrome off my bike). It looks like from pics and vids, the underside of the toe shifter kind of clamps onto the stock shifter. Can anyone confirm this or provide first-hand experience with this or any other type of heel-toe setup? I came from a cruiser using this setup for 9 yrs. and after getting used to it initially, grew to like it considerably. Or would a simpler setup such as the mini-boards be more successful? Would cornering clearance with a full size floorboard be any worse than the mini boards? Thanks for the help! Glad to be here!

Steve 0080
04-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Yes it does" clamp" onto the shifter...there are a few guys that have it...

Scotrod
04-29-2014, 09:24 PM
I still miss my heel-toe set up back on my 'Cruisers' but,,, Haven't found one that really 'did what I wanted it to do' on the 6,,

I've got the Kury's Min-drop boards at a slight angle. I've ditched the 'cruiser' style work boots and I'm working on some 'MC sport/sport touring' footwear. (Actually better foot protection and easier to toe-shift with /more compact,,,).

The dropped mini boards do reduce your leaning clearance a bit, but I believe the running boards may (?) be just as bad or worse (?) as they extend out away from the bike a bit. (Disclaimer: I have never owned full boards for a Goldwing/F6B. I do own the drop mini's and at one time, had the Kury H/T with the same mini's)

The 'good' thing about the Wing is it's got such a wide powerband/~low~ gearing, once you get into 5th, there really isn't a whole lot of shifting required after that! LOL!

MarcPW
04-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Hi Elroy, I have the Kury board, very happy with it. I had something similar on my GW1500 back in the days. Clearance is good.

Elroy
04-30-2014, 06:57 AM
I still miss my heel-toe set up back on my 'Cruisers' but,,, Haven't found one that really 'did what I wanted it to do' on the 6,,

I've got the Kury's Min-drop boards at a slight angle. I've ditched the 'cruiser' style work boots and I'm working on some 'MC sport/sport touring' footwear. (Actually better foot protection and easier to toe-shift with /more compact,,,).

The dropped mini boards do reduce your leaning clearance a bit, but I believe the running boards may (?) be just as bad or worse (?) as they extend out away from the bike a bit. (Disclaimer: I have never owned full boards for a Goldwing/F6B. I do own the drop mini's and at one time, had the Kury H/T with the same mini's)

The 'good' thing about the Wing is it's got such a wide powerband/~low~ gearing, once you get into 5th, there really isn't a whole lot of shifting required after that! LOL!

Can the mini boards still be tilted even if using a standard adapter and not the drops? On my inaugural ride last night, my left foot, inside a clunker of a cruiser boot, unbeknownst to me (cause I can't feel a damn thing in those) was underneath my shifter and I "hard-shifted" if that's even a term, upshifted unintentionally with no clutch. Sounded like something dropped right out of the bike. :icon_frown: So either my setup or boots or both have to change. Hated treating my 6 like that on its first ride. I'll look into the sport/st boots, but I've always thought they looked a little goofy, specially on a 6'1", 250 guy like me....

Elroy
04-30-2014, 07:00 AM
Hi Elroy, I have the Kury board, very happy with it. I had something similar on my GW1500 back in the days. Clearance is good.

Thanks for the input Marc. I'd love to have this same setup, but the distance between rider foot position and passenger foot position seems less than what I am used to and don't know if the full length boards will make that space too cramped. I ride two-up probably 95% of the time. (the wife probably likes riding more than I do!) Do you ride two-up much? Any problems with the full length? Thanks again.

Scotrod
04-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Can the mini boards still be tilted even if using a standard adapter and not the drops. I'll look into the sport/st boots, but I've always thought they looked a little goofy, specially on a 6'1", 250 guy like me....

I believe the boards made for our 6's will accept either the drop mounts or the 'standard' chrome mounts as they both use the 'splined adapter' / modular system.

Here are the 'shoes/sport boots, I'm 'acquiring': http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-cube-air-boots

I ordered 47's , a hair too big, in the process of exchanging / getting 46's now. (I'm a 12D and occasionally a 12E in US)

I've never worn 'MC' or MC 'sport' footwear before. I'm hoping the mesh in these will help with the TX heat. The reduced overall toe-box height should make shifting easier. 'Wear' strip for the shifter. No heel to hang on/off the mini board, 'better than nothing' ankle protection,,,,

Goofy? Could be, but that aspect would just blend in well with the rest of me! :icon_wink:

Elroy
04-30-2014, 10:07 AM
I believe the boards made for our 6's will accept either the drop mounts or the 'standard' chrome mounts as they both use the 'splined adapter' / modular system.

Here are the 'shoes/sport boots, I'm 'acquiring': http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-cube-air-boots

I ordered 47's , a hair too big, in the process of exchanging / getting 46's now. (I'm a 12D and occasionally a 12E in US)

I've never worn 'MC' or MC 'sport' footwear before. I'm hoping the mesh in these will help with the TX heat. The reduced overall toe-box height should make shifting easier. 'Wear' strip for the shifter. No heel to hang on/off the mini board, 'better than nothing' ankle protection,,,,

Goofy? Could be, but that aspect would just blend in well with the rest of me! :icon_wink:

O yes, I would look like a silly fool in those, don't know if I could allow myself to wear them. I like the idea of a wear strip on the left toe though, that's nice.

Hornblower
04-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Scotrod...goofy? Not at all! Those are great looking boots, IMO. And, in hot weather, they should feel great. About the only concern I have is getting caught in a downpour where you pay for great ventilation. I guess they would dry out pretty fast too so maybe that's not a huge problem :shrug:

Elroy
04-30-2014, 10:24 AM

I'm looking at these currently, among a few others. The toe profile seems low enough to not cause much trouble. They do have a version with mesh on the upper and lower, but like Hornblower mentioned, rain concerned me there. Wet feet/socks is a terrible feeling.

Scotrod
04-30-2014, 12:41 PM
The Firstgear 'mesh low' shoes were on my short list,,,

I need to add I'm already 'fully equipped' with winter/Waterproof boots. I'm also a fair-weather rider who typically stays within a days ride of home. Very seldom do I get caught in the rain.

What I need ~now~ is something for HOT HOT HOT weather. The fairing keeps a lot of the air off ya,,, Excellent in winter, but 'a little more breeze' would be nice in triple digit heat,,, My feet tend to catch 'some' air with the mini-boards tilted down, so I'm hoping mesh will help my toes/feet shed some body heat,,,

The TCX's eventually got the nod over the Firstgears as they appear to have more mesh, larger ankle / arch protection areas, and better ankle support.

Elroy,,, 26 y.o., 6-1,, 250???? Why,,, you're just a svelte young man!!! I'm 6-0 and haven't seen the 200's since 19somethingorother!! :yikes: LOL!!

:icon_biggrin:

Elroy
04-30-2014, 03:03 PM
The Firstgear 'mesh low' shoes were on my short list,,,

I need to add I'm already 'fully equipped' with winter/Waterproof boots. I'm also a fair-weather rider who typically stays within a days ride of home. Very seldom do I get caught in the rain.

What I need ~now~ is something for HOT HOT HOT weather. The fairing keeps a lot of the air off ya,,, Excellent in winter, but 'a little more breeze' would be nice in triple digit heat,,, My feet tend to catch 'some' air with the mini-boards tilted down, so I'm hoping mesh will help my toes/feet shed some body heat,,,

The TCX's eventually got the nod over the Firstgears as they appear to have more mesh, larger ankle / arch protection areas, and better ankle support.

Elroy,,, 26 y.o., 6-1,, 250???? Why,,, you're just a svelte young man!!! I'm 6-0 and haven't seen the 200's since 19somethingorother!! :yikes: LOL!!

:icon_biggrin:

Either you're calling me fat :eat1: and bragging about your thinness, or warning me of my future :yikes: Thanks for the info Scot! :icon_biggrin:

Elroy
04-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Well to update this thread, took the plunge and ordered the Kury mini-boards w/ the comfort drop. Going to tilt the boards forward and see how the clearance is. Ideally I'd like to install the boards with a standard adapter to get back that 3/4" from the drops but we'll see if the clearance will allow for that. Figured I'd try this configuration before getting a board/heel-toe setup and/or buying new footwear. If I can run with the standards I'll be sure to post the comfort drops to the classifieds.

Thanks everyone for their input! :cheers:

MarcPW
04-30-2014, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the input Marc. I'd love to have this same setup, but the distance between rider foot position and passenger foot position seems less than what I am used to and don't know if the full length boards will make that space too cramped. I ride two-up probably 95% of the time. (the wife probably likes riding more than I do!) Do you ride two-up much? Any problems with the full length? Thanks again.

I also have installed this one, for my wife. She is happy and I have no problem with it, does not come my way. Just need to make sure you don't leave your feet on the floor when you drive away, that's the only time I got in contact with it.

Elroy
05-01-2014, 07:37 AM
I also have installed this one, for my wife. She is happy and I have no problem with it, does not come my way. Just need to make sure you don't leave your feet on the floor when you drive away, that's the only time I got in contact with it.

And you had to buy a separate adapter to install to the passenger peg correct?

Scotrod
05-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Either you're calling me fat :eat1:

Well, I'm north of 300 lbs, so I can't call ya fat!!! :yikes:

MarcPW
05-01-2014, 06:41 PM
And you had to buy a separate adapter to install to the passenger peg correct?

No, no adaption needed. I took a (poor) picture just to show you the space.

LX2
05-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Drivers and passenger on my F6, swapped it all out in the parking lot when I traded my wing. To me it's too functional and comfortable (and $$$$$) to let go. Heck if I didn't like it on the F6 I still had Valkyrie parts to use. But for my size 9 feet, it works.

Yeahoo Whoyah
05-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Elroy my advise is to ride the bike stock for awhile before you make changes. Put some miles on it before deciding what to modify. Heck, I put up with the useless stock windshield for several months before getting another.

Elroy
05-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Elroy my advise is to ride the bike stock for awhile before you make changes. Put some miles on it before deciding what to modify. Heck, I put up with the useless stock windshield for several months before getting another.

For the most part that is what I am doing. But the foot control situation needed mod'd real quick as I was cursing myself with the accidental upshift and no clutch as my boot was under the shifter and I was not aware. The loud 'clunk' was not a pleasant sound on my new f6.

steverrino
06-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Looking to convert to heel toe shifter as well. Looking at part # 45-1620....Don't see this one listed on forum anywhere....Anybody try it yet??

stroguy
06-23-2015, 08:23 PM
GEORGE!

53driver
06-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Looking to convert to heel toe shifter as well. Looking at part # 45-1620....Don't see this one listed on forum anywhere....Anybody try it yet??

GEORGE!

What my friend in TX is alluding to, is the thread by SRT-8-in-Largo, where he lost his tranny at about 14k after installing a HT shifter.
Give it a Search and peruse it and make a decision for yourself.
My '81 Wing had an HT shifter, still does, and has over 80K on it and doing well, according to the new owner.
Other Wings have had issues that have been indirectly attributed to the stresses an HT shifter adds.
Some claim it's good science, others, witchcraft.

The choice is yours!

shooter
06-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Stro you ever notice George is only around when you don't need him? GEORRRRRGE!!!!

stroguy
06-23-2015, 09:38 PM
He sure had one of the longest detailed in depth knowledge testing interesting controversial mechanical geometric angular threads about that HT shifter.

shooter
06-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Uh................what Stro said. I think.

BIGLRY
06-24-2015, 12:19 AM
He sure had one of the longest detailed in depth knowledge testing interesting controversial mechanical geometric angular threads about that HT shifter.
With Pictures too.:lolup: