PDA

View Full Version : Numb Butt

dickiedeals
05-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Ok Guys I just returned from a great trip. Had a wonderful time and actually didn't get rained on once. The only problem I experienced was a Numb Butt about 7/8 of the trip. I know many of you say the stock seat is great. Well I experienced that after about 100 miles or so the next 400 miles a day suck. Even with stopping every 180 to 200 miles for fuel it stays numb for most of the ride. I used Hotel towels under me and every thing else I could think of. So anyway the stock seat has to go. Problem is I've only ridden on Corbin and a Custom made seat in my 35 years of riding. But the last Corbin I had wasn't that comfy. With the Russel Day my tippy toes just barely touch the ground and it makes me sit up higher than I like. I know many of you have purchased the Mustang Trippers. How are they for long trips? Anybody been on long saddle times with them? Will the Utopia Back rest work with them?
Please guys I really need your input to try an avoid the potential possibility of spending a small fortune trying to find the correct seat for this bike. I brag about how fantastic this bike is all the time. Always puts a smile on my face, Except on this last trip. It actually got to the point that I dreaded the next days ride. I'm still sore. Suppose to return to KY. at the end of the month. Got to get something before then......I'll try to get some photos up Of the Klock Werks raising in a couple days..................Dickie

Tbone56
05-01-2014, 06:48 AM
Just got back from trip from Charleston, SC to Deals Gap, NC which is about a 6 hour ride, and no numb butt on my Mustang seat. Very happy with the back support and ride.

Deer Slayer
05-01-2014, 07:54 AM
Must be your butt? :poke::cheers:

dickiedeals
05-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Must be your butt? :poke::cheers:

Yes, My wife tells me everyday that my Butt is Special! Numb Too. Lol...:moon:......Dickie

Steve 0080
05-01-2014, 08:01 AM
+1 on the Mustang…no issues all the way to the Keys!

Scotrod
05-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Why does the RDL make you stand on your tippy toes? I have a ~31~ inseam and mine doesn't.

dickiedeals
05-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Why does the RDL make you stand on your tippy toes? I have a ~31~ inseam and mine doesn't.

Perhaps the one I sat on wasn't made for me. But he had the same inseam as me. I could only flat foot one foot and tippy toe the other.30" 265lbs

coffee_weasle
05-01-2014, 08:17 AM
have you tried the AirHawk seat cushion?

dickiedeals
05-01-2014, 08:23 AM
have you tried the AirHawk seat cushion?

I would prefer a proper comfortable seat. But may try a cushion for the end of the month trip till I find the correct seat..Dickie

coffee_weasle
05-01-2014, 08:35 AM
i got the airhawk for long/desert riding with v-twins, but it is comfortable on long hauls anywhere, and when i don't need it, i just deflate it and store it

it's not a cure-all, but it is a handy option

CaptRob
05-01-2014, 09:40 AM
I have yet to do a long haul on my new mustang but, I will add that the bottom of the seat is thin and harder than expected. It fits tight and you do sit down into the bike and the support is nice on the lower back. I will put some miles on this weekend and give you my 2 cents.

opas ride
05-01-2014, 09:41 AM
I know we are all different in the "butt" department, but the stock seat works for me at this point....Have heard lots of nice comments on the Mustang, which is lower, and the Ultimate seat which is about the same height, but more comfortable....I hope you can find the one that works for you as most cost a lot of bucks!!

jakec
05-01-2014, 10:50 AM
I also really like the Mustang, but my longest ride has only been about 150 miles. I feel for you, been there and it isn't any fun. My Wing use to make me sore but I bought an Aqua Aire cushion and have done a 1050 mile day with it. If I do a long trip with my F6B I will take the cushion with me.

Mustangjake
05-01-2014, 11:15 AM
I ordered the mustang for my bike!!

hiflyer
05-01-2014, 11:18 AM
After two hours on the stocker, I'm miserable. I have an ultimate on order. RDL's are awesome but the extended build time (currently June delivery) was longer than I wanted to wait. Two weeks they are telling me for the Ultimate, and I ordered it with the riders backrest. I am riding to Texas this week end and I'm telling my butt to get ready, not that it will help.

photodiver
05-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Had a Mustang on my VTX, made 600 miles one day and could hardly walk when I got off the bike. Ended up with tendinitis in both hips. Changed to a Ultimate big boy and did 830 miles one day with no problems. Going to RDL on the 20th to get a seat made for the F6b.:icon_biggrin:

Fla_rider
05-01-2014, 03:12 PM
I know most of you have ridden big bikes before like Wings and HD's but I been on smaller bikes 700cc range. The stock seat is heaven compared to those older seats. I don't slide, I sit comfortable on a cushy seat. Instead of having support on part of my fat ass the F6B seat supports the whole trunk!:moon:

Bruce B
05-01-2014, 04:44 PM
I have a Rick Mayer seat and am totally happy with it on long rides. At the end of a day I have never spent a moment thinking about the seat and it's comfort. That's about the highest compliment a seat can get. You could talk to Rick and discuss the height issue also. He uses the stock pan so I had him recover and install the Utopia drivers backrest I had purchased. He also recovered my passenger backrest to match. While it's a great seat, I don't know if you could get one within your timeframe. I had an Ultimate on my Valkyrie and liked it a lot. Not as well as the Rick Mayer, but it was still a great seat. That may be your best bet. I have no experience with the Mustang other than one than came on a Honda 1100 Shadow that I bought used many years ago. It really gave me butt burn but most likely that's not at all relevant to today's product being made for the F6B.

WCody
05-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Russell should be able to modify their seat to fit you better. If it is secondhand, they may charge you a little.

Until then, get some Gold Bond Medicated powder and sprinkle some down the back of your shorts before a long ride and after.

It really helps.

Also, after you get the Russell done, get a pair of LDComfort tights. They'll keep the moisture away from your rear (which is what breaks down the skin during a long ride and causes the pain). After getting the LDComfort tights, do NOT use the Gold Bond powder with the tights. It will defeat the purpose which is to wick the moisture away from your skin.

Good luck.

Bruce B
05-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Russell should be able to modify their seat to fit you better. If it is secondhand, they may charge you a little.

Until then, get some Gold Bond Medicated powder and sprinkle some down the back of your shorts before a long ride and after.

It really helps.

Also, after you get the Russell done, get a pair of LDComfort tights. They'll keep the moisture away from your rear (which is what breaks down the skin during a long ride and causes the pain). After getting the LDComfort tights, do NOT use the Gold Bond powder with the tights. It will defeat the purpose which is to wick the moisture away from your skin.

Good luck.

+1 on LD Comfort. I have the long tights and also the knee length. The long sleeve crew neck shirt is fantastic. Folks, these are to keep you cool. Use as directed and you'll be amazed. Cools you in the same way that a swamp cooler works. Not for use with mesh clothing. The mesh defeats the working of the clothing. Very popular with the Iron Butt crowd. Also good for staying warm when we get back to the cold weather.

yellow rex
05-01-2014, 11:39 PM
You may try the cushion at Walmart not to costly but it works.

motozeke
05-02-2014, 12:45 AM
I know most of you have ridden big bikes before like Wings and HD's but I been on smaller bikes 700cc range. The stock seat is heaven compared to those older seats. I don't slide, I sit comfortable on a cushy seat. Instead of having support on part of my fat ass the F6B seat supports the whole trunk!:moon:

+1, I did 660 miles last Sunday on the stock seat. Won't say I never felt a hot spot but no numbness. On the other hand, every seat I tried on my Multistrada left me begging for mercy after 250 miles or so.

Alberta Beagle
05-02-2014, 11:51 AM
12 hour days for me on the stock seat last year on an 11 day trip amd not an issue with numb butt or sore back.
Best stock seat I have ever had and makes it hard for me to justify changing it.

Beagle

Cool Hand Luke
05-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I have been using one for number of years. In my opinion these are the best. They use medical technology, same as used for patients in wheelchairs, which consists of air cells that are interconnected. The cushion only needs very little air so it raises seat height for less than an inch. It also adds more air flow at your bottom so less sweating. The material used is breathable and not sticky to the skin.

Here is a picture of mine:

I have since added Mustang seat, which I think is much nicer than stock. I continue to use the cushion as it increases my saddle time. My cushion is several years old but looks like new. It is a bit smaller than F6B seat as it was bought for a different bike but still works for me. They do make bigger ones.

I hope this helps.

stepbill
05-02-2014, 12:58 PM
is anyone using beaded seat cushions? I understand that these help the blood flow to the butt area and also let air under the beads to help you stay cool.

like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Beadrider-Seat-14/dp/B0052LQQFK

F6B-RICH
05-02-2014, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=stepbill;29493]is anyone using beaded seat cushions? I understand that these help the blood flow to the butt area and also let air under the beads to help you stay cool.

Those beaded seats are for :old:gpa-gma people :icon_biggrin:.batman-smilie.

opas ride
05-02-2014, 03:30 PM
I am "old people"..74 this year, and tried one of the beaded seat cushions on my Victory Vision...Terrible, terrible, terrible, for me..Could not trash it soon enough....As I said on an earlier post, all butts are different, as we know, but my stock seat works for me and I cannot justify the expensive of a custom seat right now..I usually don't ride more than 150 miles at a time these days so I am good to go!!!

imported_scottydi
05-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Dickie,

I have a Mustang seat on my F6 and will say that it is firmer than the stock seat but not quiet as firm as the corbin that I tried out. While the mustang does provide some back support, a drivers back rest will not work with the mustang. My longest day on the seat so far is about 400 miles, I didnt have any issues with numbness on my trip.

Scott

Wild Bill
05-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Most of my road trips are two up and the seat bothers me some.Riding solo to ohio 650 miles I could move around on seat with no problem.Very comfortable.
Just added kury ergo 2's where I could put my legs out or on top of pegs has seamed to make all the difference in the world on the seat issue.

Philbert40
05-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Every new motorcycle I own....the very first thing I do is get a RICK MAYER custom seat! RICK is the best!

Did a IBA Border to Border in September on my Rick Mayer.....comfortable the whole way.:041:

1951vbs
05-03-2014, 07:23 PM
There is a reason Russell is a few months behind; they just plain work! I have had several and they are good for 1000 mile days. If you are worried about an increase in seat height they offer a "sport seat" that retains stock height. I had one on my Suzuki B-King and it was just as good as the standard day long that I had on ST1300, K1200GT and F6B.

hiflyer
05-03-2014, 08:30 PM
There is a reason Russell is a few months behind; they just plain work! I have had several and they are good for 1000 mile days. If you are worried about an increase in seat height they offer a "sport seat" that retains stock height. I had one on my Suzuki B-King and it was just as good as the standard day long that I had on ST1300, K1200GT and F6B.

Let's say that I procrastinated over the winter on the RDL, I've had several myself. If the Ultimate I have coming doesn't work, I've got an extra stock seat to send off. That said, after today's 500 mile ride to visit some more grandkids, (I've got 8) I won't be taking any more trips on the stock seat. I was miserable on the way home. The bugs are out in full force but I amazed how easy this liquid glass prepped bike is to clean.

dickiedeals
05-07-2014, 05:41 AM
Thank you Guys for all the Suggestions. Thank you Phantom for the Phone call with a suggestion. May seem funny but I rode to St. Augustine Fl. about a two hour ride from my house with bubble wrap under my tush. :crackup:It worked pretty darn good. Never got numb Butt. So I purchased an AirHawk for the trip to KY this weekend. Thank you guys for suggesting it. 30 years of riding and I'd never heard of Airhawk. I think this will do until I decide on what brand and type seat I will purchase....:clap2:.................Dickie

fast eddie
05-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Ok I drive truck from a living average about 500 plus a day numb butt is my enemy. When I'm on my F6B I'm in heaven. Many trips of 400 miles a day zero numb butt on a stock seat. Only been riding for Over 45 yrs best seat ever. An I've had over 30 bikes. Only saying it works for me.

goldtahoe
05-07-2014, 11:13 AM
+1 Mustang Seat ... Last weekend ... I did 800+ miles non stop from Chesterfield, VA to Chicago, IL .... 11 hours ... no numb butt ..

dickiedeals
05-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Ok I drive truck from a living average about 500 plus a day numb butt is my enemy. When I'm on my F6B I'm in heaven. Many trips of 400 miles a day zero numb butt on a stock seat. Only been riding for Over 45 yrs best seat ever. An I've had over 30 bikes. Only saying it works for me.

You want to trade seats?.............Dickie

fast eddie
05-07-2014, 06:49 PM
No I think I'll keep mine its so nice