PDA

View Full Version : Spare Rear Wheel

bob109
05-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Been a "Dark Side Rider" for several years and I'm in the process of selecting the car tire I'll be using on my F6B. Thought that I'de buy a spare rim and mount my CT to it, rather than change out the OEM Bridgestone which will now stay mounted on the original. Found a nice used rear rim on E-Bay and purchased it for just over $71.00 which included shipping. Once the CT is mounted and balanced I'll be blacking out the rim with Matt Black PlastiDip which will match the original.

Here's a look at the bare replacement rim!

smokinjoe187
05-08-2013, 07:05 PM
wonder what an f6b would look like with shiny chrome wheels
maybe a multi wing owner could pop one on his f6b and snap a picture....

BLACKBETTY12
05-08-2013, 07:09 PM
wonder what an f6b would look like with shiny chrome wheels
maybe a multi wing owner could pop one on his f6b and snap a picture....

Please no chrome Smokinjoe! lol

Laen
06-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Plasti Dip is OK still not as good as POWDER COAT. I know I use it alot. Also it should last OK as long as it is not a wear item that your in contact with like a boot. Each tire change the plasti dip will have to be pilled off and re-applied

Yeahoo Whoyah
06-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Each tire change the plasti dip will have to be pilled off and re-applied

I suppose by running a car tire that chore won't be as frequent!

yellowskeeter1
06-24-2013, 07:09 AM
If I did not have my ct on my spare wheel
From my gold wing with the dyna beads I would take the wheel and get it powder coated. It's not very expensive to do. Some places here will do it for $50. I will probably plast dip mine so I don't ave to remove everything.

bob109
12-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Just a update on my PlastiDip coated rear wheel. Several folks had concerns regarding its durability! Having just turned 7700 miles on the General G-Max Car Tire, the wheel shows no signs of pealing or wear. I'm sure that good surface preparation is the key to its durability. Prior to painting the brushed aluminum surface I cleaned the wheel twice with "brake cleaner" and a soft cotton towel. Following the can directions, four coats of PD were applied. Although not as durable/permanent as "powder coating" it is a cost effective way to "black out" you wheels. The fact that the G-Max tire side walls are wider than the rim help protect the rim from road debris. One advantage to using the PD is the rim can be easily returned to it original brushed aluminum finish by "power washing":icon_wink:

F6B-RICH
12-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Just a update on my PlastiDip coated rear wheel. Several folks had concerns regarding its durability! Having just turned 7700 miles on the General G-Max Car Tire, the wheel shows no signs of pealing or wear. I'm sure that good surface preparation is the key to its durability. Prior to painting the brushed aluminum surface I cleaned the wheel twice with "brake cleaner" and a soft cotton towel. Following the can directions, four coats of PD were applied. Although not as durable/permanent as "powder coating" it is a cost effective way to "black out" you wheels. The fact that the G-Max tire side walls are wider than the rim help protect the rim from road debris. One advantage to using the PD is the rim can be easily returned to it original brushed aluminum finish by "power washing":icon_wink:

Agree.I use PD and most wheels car/motorcycle it holds up great.Things that you touch alot or with your boot no good powder coat it instead.