PDA

View Full Version : Can Am Spyders

CaptRob
05-03-2014, 09:24 PM
These machines look super fun. Anyone care to share their experience? Not that I need another toy but these things have my attention. I did own a Sea Doo turbo charged rotax Jet Ski. Anyway just curious

Fla_rider
05-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Me and the wife did a test drive on one about a year ago. Going straight it was ok, but making a turn got kind of weird. But what the heck to each his own. OMHO i think threre's more room and a better seat on the F6B.:no:

Ericb445
05-03-2014, 09:48 PM
I test rode one two years ago, took it a mile and quickly turned around took back to the dealer..felt very spooky and unsafe and strange to me.
I recommend riding one for sure, before you put any money towards one.

bobbyf6b
05-03-2014, 09:56 PM
It's a snowmobile with wheels!

I test rode one last year just for fun. I enjoyed the ride, but when you try to power through a corner it has a sensor that cuts the throttle. That was on city streets, not sure if that happens in the curves. It's an interesting machine but I don't think I'd ever own one. The steering is very touchy and it throws your body around since you can't lean.

hiflyer
05-03-2014, 10:01 PM
These machines look super fun. Anyone care to share their experience? Not that I need another toy but these things have my attention. I did own a Sea Doo turbo charged rotax Jet Ski. Anyway just curious

Evidently there are some folks that like 'em, I saw three on I-40 today when I was returning from Texas, two of them pulling trailers.

bigdew
05-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Test rode a Spyder on one of their traveling demo days. Fun but not for me. Most of the time on the road you are spent trying to get it out of the grooves cars and trucks leave because it has a smaller track width. I know they did release a bigger motor this year because of a lot of complaints of being underpowered. Talking with a lot of the mechanics at my local dealership they are in there a lot for maintenance and electric issues. They hate working on them. Nice but not the machine for me.

Spanky
05-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Don't know about spiders, rode one in daytona, It is indeed weird. I really want one of these:

Phantom
05-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Talking with a lot of the mechanics at my local dealership they are in there a lot for maintenance and electric issues. They hate working on them.

I have 2 friends that had Spyders for a short time before they SOLD them due to CONTINUOUS electrical problems, under powered and fuel problems. They were always going into "limp" mode, spent way too much time on the bed of a tow truck and at the dealership being repaired.

The 2014's are also having multiple problems ..... It may be happening to 1% of them, but who knows.

Give me the reliability of a Honda any day or a Kawasaki powered Campagna T-Rex (much more reliable then a Spyder).

F6B-RICH
05-04-2014, 07:25 AM
I had one for 3 years.Sick machine.Very fast and tons and I mean tons of fun.I had the 5 speed push button transmission on mine and anyone out there thinks they can shift fast this push button will blow you away(you never have to let up on the throttle just hit button) Riding the back roads on twisty roads it was a animal.Stuck to the road like glue.I pushed the machine to its limit on low and highway sharp turns and it never failed me.You have to like riding a roller coaster because the Spyder is so tight its like riding on rails like a roller coaster.I test rode one for 10 mins and I was hooked.Probably buy another Spyder in the future for sure.Phantom posted this friends said they are under powered on way I think the numbers are like 117 HP and 109 torque my year Spyder from a 990 motor.

Steve 0080
05-04-2014, 05:05 PM
A friend traded in his Rune for one due to health issues…I rode it…not for me…rode like the Honda 3 wheeler ( one wheel up front) not for me but I do understand that some folks would like them…hell some folks like something called a F6B….

claytonsdad
05-04-2014, 05:51 PM
A buddy of mine had one. I put a good many miles on his. It did give me a somewhat "unsettled" or twitchy feeling too, until I got used to it. I thought the handling was way better than I was able to push it. Unfortunately, his was one that suffered the electrical issues. It would just default into limp mode going down the highway for no reason whatsoever. You could pull over and let it sit a few minutes and it would take right back off like nothing had ever happened. It is a very dangerous condition and it's going to get someone killed. After the third or fourth time the dealer kept it for over a month to "fix" it, he traded it in on another bike. Even told the dealer about the problems he had experienced. The guy just nodded knowingly and said he understood and that this wasn't the first one traded there for that same reason. I really hate that they seem to have so many problems with this design. I refuse to believe that they manufacturer can't figure this out. I believe it's more like BMW's final drive issues. If we say we don't have an issue, we don't have an issue. I thought the concept was great and it was really fun to ride once you got used to it.

skidz
05-05-2014, 02:27 PM
I had an '09 Phantom for a couple years. They are fun, and pretty fast in the twisties.... but.... I always missed the lean. If you have ever rode a four wheeler on pavement, you know how they steer. My .02 anyway.

racer
05-05-2014, 05:00 PM
I had one for 3 years.Sick machine.Very fast and tons and I mean tons of fun.I had the 5 speed push button transmission on mine and anyone out there thinks they can shift fast this push button will blow you away(you never have to let up on the throttle just hit button) Riding the back roads on twisty roads it was a animal.Stuck to the road like glue.I pushed the machine to its limit on low and highway sharp turns and it never failed me.You have to like riding a roller coaster because the Spyder is so tight its like riding on rails like a roller coaster.I test rode one for 10 mins and I was hooked.Probably buy another Spyder in the future for sure.Phantom posted this friends said they are under powered on way I think the numbers are like 117 HP and 109 torque my year Spyder from a 990 motor.

Or 100 hp @ 7500rpm and 80 lb-ft of torque @5000 rpm

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/can-am-spyder/ke3456.html

A friend of mine rode one and REALLY liked it.

motozeke
05-05-2014, 10:44 PM
I think Hell for Leather said of Spyders that they "combine the fun of driving a car with the weather protection of a motorcycle." Ouch. Well, different strokes. I wave at them.

F6B-RICH
05-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Or 100 hp @ 7500rpm and 80 lb-ft of torque @5000 rpm

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/can-am-spyder/ke3456.html

A friend of mine rode one and REALLY liked it.

Mine was a 2010 RS-S only a 990 motor with 106 HP and 77 Torque plus add my juice box/K&N filter and exhaust .batman-smilie.

mtcgun
05-06-2014, 10:21 PM
My wife has one and I get to ride it occasionally. Its a 2008 and its #21 built. Its fun, fast and stable. I'd have no problem jumping on it and going cross country with it. Yes some have had issues, but many more havent. I must have a good one. Is it the same as riding a two wheeler? no. Is it a lot of fun? YES

CaptRob
05-06-2014, 10:29 PM
maybe ill test one for shits and grins….but, last time I did that, I bought a F6B that same day!!

fxdl2051
05-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Have ridden these things twice, first model year then last year. They still scare the piss out of me. The assist on the steering is wonky, the suspension too soft, maybe I'd get used to it in a month or two but, I could easliy imagine a serious issue in a high speed avoidance maneuver. Still, I am seeing more of these on the road 'round here.
ss^,
Ken

opas ride
05-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Some folks love em, some not so much...Personally I think they are "butt ugly"..not for me.......

MSGT-R
05-14-2014, 12:05 PM
I managed to show up for three "test ride days". If you like an ATV, then this is the same. YOU lean waaaay to the inside on turns to compensate for the lack of lean on the part of the machine. I think I would be getting tickets on those in the mountains :icon_redface:

If the F6B didn't come out, I would be on one right now since a full wing is too big and heavy for my small stature; the same goes for most of the cruisers with forward controls (too far forward for short people).