PDA

View Full Version : Mirror mounted air deflector side effect

royr
05-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Today I mounted my mirror mounted air deflectors on my F6B. I noticed that when I opened them up they drew hot air from the engine/radiators on to my legs. If I closed the deflectors, the hot air on my legs was significantly reduced. I had a set on these on my ’12 GL1800 and do not remember this happening on it.

My question, is the change in functioning of the mirror mounted air deflectors a result of the difference in how the mirrors are mounted and the lower, further back sitting position on the F6B vs the GL1800, or is the difference due to my MadStad WS, or a combination of both?

I removed the deflectors. I do not think the added air to my sides is worth the added heat to my legs. And since the mirror location on the F6B seems to let more air on your sides than the GL1800 did, I think will not use them in the summer and keep them for riding in the winter. When closed them did decease the air to my body quite well.

Scotrod
05-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Hmm,
I can set my NC mirror mounted deflectors so heat isn't fully flushed out, and I can set 'em so the heat is flushed out, so I'm not sure what's occurring. :shrug:

Did you have a Madstad on the GL 1800? If not, don't replicate what you did on the GL and expect 'similar' occurrences with your Madstad - equipped 6... Not because the 'Stad is bad, but because the wind flows a bit-different,,,

Not sure that there is a huge difference in the mirrors, but the shelter / cowling by the rads on a GL is wider/more flared than the F6B

Do you have highway pegs or a ragin' case of bow-leg??? :shock:

royr
05-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Hmm,
I can set my NC mirror mounted deflectors so heat isn't fully flushed out, and I can set 'em so the heat is flushed out, so I'm not sure what's occurring. :shrug:

Did you have a Madstad on the GL 1800? If not, don't replicate what you did on the GL and expect 'similar' occurrences with your Madstad - equipped 6... Not because the 'Stad is bad, but because the wind flows a bit-different,,,

Not sure that there is a huge difference in the mirrors, but the shelter / cowling by the rads on a GL is wider/more flared than the F6B

Do you have highway pegs or a ragin' case of bow-leg??? :shock:

I had NC mirror deflectors on the F6B and the GL. Are you referring to heat on your shins or upper legs and body. I was referring to my shins area.

I had the stock WS on the GL. I really like my MadStad WS. Very quiet and no buffeting, unless it is very windy or I am in a lot of traffic. And even then, it is minimal.

I have noticed a difference in the air coming around the mirrors and hitting my hands on the two bikes. I was guessing it may effect the mirror air deflector's air flow. I did not know those parts were different on the two bikes. I thought they were just painted different.

Standard pegs. It was only on my shins that I noticed the increased heat. Maybe I noticed it more because I had on shorts, instead on my normal riding pants. But the difference was quite noticeable.

Thanks for the reply. If I remember correctly, you were also experiencing some change in the air flow from the MadStad with the mirror deflectors. What was you final opinion?

Scotrod
05-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Yeppers, the full wing fairing is wider ''down low'',,, Thought I read somewhere that the extra width / flare was for passenger comfort, but :shrug:

Towards the end of 'winter', I pulled the wings off as running them fully closed created an area of ~pressure~ behind my head/shoulders,,, Air would rush in and push my head/shoulders forward. At that time I didn't really see a huge bonus in winter so I pulled 'em.

Then it started getting warmer,,,,I put my wings back on in summer to pull air into the rider zone.

Very rarely do I adjust more than one click or so in or out from having the main center section's 'straight forward'. Too many clicks with the leading edge 'in' and the heat doesn't seem to flush out from the lower extremities as well. Too many clicks out and they become 'air brakes',,,:shock: