PDA

View Full Version : Second gear clunk

Coop creek
05-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Really, when I shift up into second, this thing is loud, c-l-u-n-k. I've got about 1000 miles on it but it has not improved. I thought maybe I am noticing it because the motor is so quiet, but still... And you have to be deliberate with your foot when up-shifting to positively engage the next gear. Is this normal? It is not what I expected.

Steve 0080
05-09-2014, 06:41 PM
I am sure it goes w/o sayin that your are matching RPM's with speed.....I had some of that when the bike was new.....It did go away with time...my bike REALLY started to run free at 10K miles....good luck with yours!

Hornblower
05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Hey Coop--I think this is pretty much the norm. It does seem however that the "clunk" is somewhat RPM-dependent. Try shifting at different engine speeds and see if you find a sweet spot.

Coop creek
05-09-2014, 07:18 PM
I've been playing around with clutch-to-shift timing and RPMs, it's a little better around 3000 RPM and with a pretty much simultaneous clutch and shift action, still loud though. And shifting is certainly not a reflexive, mindless action at this point. It still has the factory oil, I can't imagine changing that would make much difference...

smokinjoe187
05-09-2014, 07:24 PM
I've been playing around with clutch-to-shift timing and RPMs, it's a little better around 3000 RPM and with a pretty much simultaneous clutch and shift action, still loud though. And shifting is certainly not a reflexive, mindless action at this point. It still has the factory oil, I can't imagine changing that would make much difference...

my stealer had me change the oil at 600
maybe time to bring it in and getter done
dont want them saying why did you wait so long

smokinjoe187
05-09-2014, 07:25 PM
I am sure it goes w/o sayin that your are matching RPM's with speed.....I had some of that when the bike was new.....It did go away with time...my bike REALLY started to run free at 10K miles....good luck with yours!

mine is noisy too but at 19k is still real positive

Pedro66
05-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Be more positive load the pedal before shifting

Take up pressure on the gear shift

Drop revs take up pressure on the clutch and it will shift for you

Alberta Beagle
05-09-2014, 11:47 PM
my stealer had me change the oil at 600
maybe time to bring it in and getter done
dont want them saying why did you wait so long

First service is due at 4000 miles. Your dealer can't be trusted when giving that kind of advice. Waste of money and a waste of resources.

Beagle

Slingah
05-10-2014, 05:50 AM
First service is due at 4000 miles. Your dealer can't be trusted when giving that kind of advice. Waste of money and a waste of resources.

Beagle

Exactly.

jakec
05-10-2014, 07:51 AM
I agree with Pedro, preload the shifter for all up shifts.

opas ride
05-10-2014, 08:27 AM
I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the tranny unless the one in your bike is a rare case..Honda has been building this engine/trans for many years and to my knowledge not many transmission issues at all....Watch your RPM's and pre-load the lever a little as this may help...Ride and enjoy the bike and good luck.....

Scotrod
05-10-2014, 08:31 AM
I usually shift substantially lower than 3k in the lower gears.

Come to think of it,,, are there any 'high' gears in the 6? :shrug:

:icon_biggrin:

BillyDaFinn
05-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Be more positive load the pedal before shifting

Take up pressure on the gear shift

Drop revs take up pressure on the clutch and it will shift for you

This.......totally agree with Pedro

JBnAZ
05-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Pedro has it right. With this tranny technique has a big impact. When I get lazy with my technique it reminds me with a clunk, non-positive engagement or less then sweet result.

F6BLK
05-11-2014, 11:20 AM
still getting used to the bike! About 600 miles now! Yes I have noticed this too! Seems to be getting better,I would give it time! I will definitely try Pedro66 s technique.I stopped at an overlook the other day and another motorcycle of a different brand was just leaving he put it in first gear I thought the thing was going to break in half!

Scotrod
05-11-2014, 01:51 PM
.I stopped at an overlook the other day and another motorcycle of a different brand was just leaving he put it in first gear I thought the thing was going to break in half!
YEP!!! And I bet the 'other brand' was belt driven,,, Shafty's always seem to have a bit more CLUNK,,,,

Coop creek
05-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Thank you Pedro, Jakec and JBnAZ. I took a long ride and practiced "preloading" the shift lever before pulling the clutch and it shifts up much, much better. Shift first, then pull the clutch, who would have thought?? A few times I forgot and it clunked and I was so mad I put it back in first and did it again!

Pedro66
05-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Thank you Pedro, Jakec and JBnAZ. I took a long ride and practiced "preloading" the shift lever before pulling the clutch and it shifts up much, much better. Shift first, then pull the clutch, who would have thought?? A few times I forgot and it clunked and I was so mad I put it back in first and did it again!

You will shift faster and smoother this way, make smooth and steady progress through the gears

Slingah
05-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Could someone explain what this "preloading" technique is or exactly how you do it?
Shifting is not smooth for me. Thanks in advance.

Coop creek
05-12-2014, 09:57 PM
To upshift, stick your boot under the shift lever and pull up, to the point you are applying a steady force.
Then, reduce throttle/RPM a little and pull the clutch.
It will slip into gear.

On my old bike (Harley), I would start to pull my foot up at the same time I pulled the clutch, but this does not work well for me on the F6B, it wants your foot fully up and a firm, steady force already in place before pulling the clutch.

Still working on it myself.

Pedro66
05-12-2014, 11:21 PM
Actually on upshifts when you get good you don't need the clutch at all just dip the revs

CoCoKola
06-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Actually on upshifts when you get good you don't need the clutch at all just dip the revs

holy crap! I can't wait to get home and try this procedure.

to be clear, with downshifts, pull the clutch and then shift?

Dmoon64
06-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Gave this a try. Rossi I am not!! :icon_lol:

It did work for me after some practice. Maybe I should get the extended warranty.

luckyluciano
06-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Would that work?

Pedro66
06-12-2014, 01:08 PM
holy crap! I can't wait to get home and try this procedure.

to be clear, with downshifts, pull the clutch and then shift?

Clutch always on the way down

On the way up just the release of tension on the clutch if that

But remember this is a Japanese gear box not a HD so smooth and fast

F6BLK
06-12-2014, 03:16 PM
The first to second transitions are always going to be more clunky than other gear changes for a purely mechanical reasons... They are farther apart than other gears since they have neutral in between! I think we can agree it's normal...I think you just hear it more because the Wing is so quiet and smooth!! I think pre-loading the shifter lever (apply pressure, but not enough to force a change), and in a swift motion Shift...helps!

SmallPasture
06-12-2014, 03:38 PM

Ok...I'm dealin' w/ the same issue into overdrive(5) w/ just over 1000K.

I gotta admit I'm not totally understanding the prelaoding. "Shift 1st, then Clutch" is what I thought yall (Pedro) were stating but... but...... Dang, that's gunna be hard to convince my foot/hand to do! They got 20+ years of doing the opposite.:banghead:

As for the 600 miles break in service. I'm not a gear head, nor do I like turning a wrench. I break more crap that I'm trying to fix/maintain. So I by the maintenance package and do my darndest to make them lose money. :icon_twisted:

jakec
06-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Small pasture, just a split second before you shift put a little pressure on the shifter, pull in clutch and then put more pressure on shift lever until you engage next gear. You can't pussy foot these flat sixes or you can damage them. If you don't believe me just go to GL1800 Riders web site and look up ghost shifting.

Pedro66
06-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Small pasture, just a split second before you shift put a little pressure on the shifter, pull in clutch and then put more pressure on shift lever until you engage next gear. You can't pussy foot these flat sixes or you can damage them. If you don't believe me just go to GL1800 Riders web site and look up ghost shifting.

That because guys try to ride them like V twins and slowly clunk through even worse if you add a heel and toe that just encourages slow changes IMO

Smallyy
06-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Totally agree with the shift techniques mentioned but fwiw after changing oil from honda mineral to mobil 1 the improvement for me was surprising and undeniable.

Scotrod
06-12-2014, 06:42 PM
I may be dreaming, but not pulling the clutch ALL the way in seems to help,,, keeps dem cogs spinnin,,,,

Pedro66
06-12-2014, 08:29 PM
I may be dreaming, but not pulling the clutch ALL the way in seems to help,,, keeps dem cogs spinnin,,,,

Yes your correct just take pressure off the transmission

SmallPasture
06-13-2014, 07:57 AM

Many thanks jakec!!

I've had two Wings, 1st was a 97' GL1500 SE, 2nd a 07'ABS and I don't remember the clunk being as pronounced, but then again I'm not the most observant being ither. I'm still settling back in after a mid-life crisis that lasted 4 years....see below.

MotoMike
07-07-2016, 06:14 PM
This is exactly my issue. I deviated off the syn oil thread and came across this one. After 48 years of riding, I'm a little concerned when I have to disregard my reflexive, mindless shifting action as well.