PDA

View Full Version : Windbender ST17 or F4Custom 18" w vent...???

coachk
05-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Too many damn options!!!!:banghead:Time for a new windshield... Took the bike out the last 2 days for extended rides and my neck is killing me from moving around and trying to see over the windshield. I have the baggershield adjustable 11-19" and it's either too short without the extension or too tall with it. I need a shield at bout 17 or maybe 18" above the rubber to see over the top. Looking at the Windbender ST17 (don't know about the HP because I don't like bugs hitting me in the face!) or maybe the f4 custom 18" w vent...too many options to choose from!! Gotta get this fixed before Colorado!! Any experience with either of these?? or any other options in this height range?

Thanks!

royr
05-10-2014, 08:28 PM
How tall are you, what is your inseam, stock seat?

You do not necessarily need a tall WS to keep the bugs from hitting you. I am 5'11"-6', a 30 inseam, and a stock seat. I have a 13" MadStad WS. It is quiet, no buffeting, and it is rare that a bug hits me and I am looking over the top edge of the WS 3-4". I have not owned a Windbender but I would guess that the Windbender with the rake kit works in a similar manner.

coachk
05-10-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm bout the same size u are...5'10, 30" inseam w stock seat...thought bout that option too, just didn't know if it would be high enough for me or not

marmilia
05-11-2014, 11:46 AM
If your only complaint with the baggershield is with the height you might try cutting the top section down, it's not that hard to do.

bobbyf6b
05-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm 5' 11" and I highly recommend the Windbender! I love mine. It's similar to the Madstad but doesn't tilt forward unless you buy the extra hardware, but I don't need it. I have the 11 inch HPS and it works great. It adjusts up to an actual 16 inches when measured from the base of the LCD screen. I don't think you can go wrong with either the MS or the WB, just depends on the look you want.

Click on this link:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2383-Windbender-Windshield-Pics&highlight=windbender

HHK
05-11-2014, 01:54 PM
I had the dealer install a taller windshield on my F6B. The one they installed was 16 inches high but the top is only 16 inches wide. I get a tremendous amount of buffeting. Much more than my 97 Valkyrie . I think it is the narrow top that is causing the problem. We are planning a trip across the Canadian prairies and through the Canadian Rockies. I definitely need more wind protection. I would love any suggestions for cutting down some of the turbulence.

Thank-you
HHK

smokinjoe187
05-11-2014, 04:12 PM
I tried all of those and i ended up just buying a stock goldwing tall screen and redrilled it using my stock screen as a template..
after 8 months of riding i have to say its perfect for me
i'm 6'1" 280 so the buffeting and helmet howl were a huge issue for me
the screen was cheap..drilling was easy
it also is a little wider and cuts down the wind between the mirrors as well
19 inches at the rubber tall and the vent does help to control turbulence behind the screen and during the hot months works well to keep me cool

F6B-RICH
05-11-2014, 04:45 PM
I did the Windbender over the winter and all I have to say is THE BEST GOD DAM MOD TO DATE for my F6B.Love it.Having it low for the back roads and then hitting the switch to raise it if I hit some highways and then drop it again.Never thought I would like it this much but I do .batman-smilie.

To clue why anyone would wanna buy a bunch of windshields to find the correct height when a flip of a switch with the Windbender you can find your sweet spot.

bertrider
05-11-2014, 05:37 PM
I have the windbender hp-s. That's short as in 11" short. It's the rake kit that makes it work the best. I can look over it by 4 inches with no head shake or flutter.

Like the Madstad, it's the angle of the shield that makes the difference, not the height. The Windbender with the rake kit give you both height and angle adjustment. You can find a quiet, dry position with a little experimentation.

coachk
05-11-2014, 06:15 PM
well, I still wasn't sure about having enough coverage with the windbender/madstad shorter shields especially in the rain if I have to hide behind it since I don't wear a helmet w visor... SO i just ordered an 18" f4 w/ vent...if that doesn't work, I'll go with my original thought which was a Madstad...but I HOPE this f4 will do what I'm wanting!

BuzzzPhotos
05-11-2014, 07:38 PM
well, I still wasn't sure about having enough coverage with the windbender/madstad shorter shields especially in the rain if I have to hide behind it since I don't wear a helmet w visor... SO i just ordered an 18" f4 w/ vent...if that doesn't work, I'll go with my original thought which was a Madstad...but I HOPE this f4 will do what I'm wanting!

That f4 oughta be perfect for ya. I had the adjustable Baggershield first & it was good, but there was not as good of a selection a year ago. From reading about all the different shields NOW I went with Madstad & like it. The f4 sounds like the toughest one. Good riding!!

HHK
05-11-2014, 07:40 PM
I tried all of those and i ended up just buying a stock goldwing tall screen and redrilled it using my stock screen as a template..
after 8 months of riding i have to say its perfect for me
i'm 6'1" 280 so the buffeting and helmet howl were a huge issue for me
the screen was cheap..drilling was easy
it also is a little wider and cuts down the wind between the mirrors as well
19 inches at the rubber tall and the vent does help to control turbulence behind the screen and during the hot months works well to keep me cool

Thanks for the input. The dealer was going to see if they could make a standard Goldwing windshield work, that was what I thought they were installing. Problem is I have paid for the 1st one so don't know if i will get any credit for that but no matter, I need a different one.
cheers
HHK

HHK
05-11-2014, 07:46 PM
I did the Windbender over the winter and all I have to say is THE BEST GOD DAM MOD TO DATE for my F6B.Love it.Having it low for the back roads and then hitting the switch to raise it if I hit some highways and then drop it again.Never thought I would like it this much but I do .batman-smilie.

To clue why anyone would wanna buy a bunch of windshields to find the correct height when a flip of a switch with the Windbender you can find your sweet spot.

Thanks, this really does sound interesting. I am going to have to give this some serious consideration. It definitely is nice to be able to have some options on the road.

Thanks
HHK

HHK
05-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I have the windbender hp-s. That's short as in 11" short. It's the rake kit that makes it work the best. I can look over it by 4 inches with no head shake or flutter.

Like the Madstad, it's the angle of the shield that makes the difference, not the height. The Windbender with the rake kit give you both height and angle adjustment. You can find a quiet, dry position with a little experimentation.

Thanks, I did not realize that the angle would make such a big difference. I will experiment with that.
Much appreciated
HHK

bobbyf6b
05-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Also, if you don't have the air wings under the mirrors like Baker Wings, you are missing out. They reduce buffeting for the rider's ears and arms, and for the passengers face. They really do work!

HHK
05-11-2014, 11:11 PM
I was wondering if the air wings were effective. Glad to hear they do work. On a hot day I think they can be turned to force the air on you. I did have the Baker Air Wings on my Valkyrie and they were excellent. Thanks HHK

royr
05-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Here is my results with mirror air deflectors
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2469-Mirror-mounted-air-deflector-side-effect

opas ride
05-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Adjustable Baggershield works great for me. I am 5'9" and with my new Shoei 3/4 helmet I get almost no wind noise or buffeting at any speed...I like looking thru the shield, not over so I am very happy with my choice....Good Luck and I hope you find a solution before your ride....

Mustangjake
05-12-2014, 05:07 PM
I have the 18 inch F4 custom with the vent it's lite tint.
It's an amazing windshield, but I believe it's going be too tall what the Mustang seat.

mielelaw
05-13-2014, 07:35 AM
I have pretty much decided to go with the Madstad 13" being 6' 0". Hopefully that is the right choice. Have red F6B and cannot decide between clear or dark grey. Anyone have red bike and opinions about the two tint choices?

mielelaw
05-13-2014, 07:38 AM
How much adjustment in height is there with Madstad?

hiflyer
05-13-2014, 07:46 AM
How much adjustment in height is there with Madstad?

I am not where I can measure mine, but just guessing, I would say 4 inches plus.

hiflyer
05-13-2014, 07:49 AM
I am not where I can measure mine, but just guessing, I would say 4 inches plus.

But I can show you this picture.

Scotrod
05-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Between 3 - 4,

Long slot, but 2 bolts share that same slot.

hiflyer
05-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Between 3 - 4,

Long slot, but 2 bolts share that same slot.

There's also the other bolt holes which you can see in my picture, that are good for maybe 1/2 an inch. I brought my shield closer to the base which also changed the height.

mielelaw
05-13-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks. How hard or easy was installation? Do you think the 13" is good for 6' 0"?

hiflyer
05-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks. How hard or easy was installation? Do you think the 13" is good for 6' 0"?

I'm 5'11" and I have the 11". Works good, looks good, but everyone's taste is different. I would think that would be what you need. Easy install. The new brackets they sell do not have all the adjustability I have. Basic up and down and tilt, but can't bring the shield closer to base.

royr
05-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Easy to install.

I am 5'11"-6' with 30 inch inseam (longer body trunk). I had an 11" and exchanged it for a 13". I could not get enough air lift off my helmet without raising the WS higher off the WS gasket than I wanted it. The 13" worked better for me.

Another thing I noticed is if you sit on the bike without riding it to judge the WS height, you may find that the WS is too short because at highway speeds the front of the bike lowers.

The new brackets also adjust the angle of the WS. I found the recommended 60 degree angle worked best for me.

mielelaw
05-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Thanks. One last question - did you go tint or clear and why?

hiflyer
05-13-2014, 01:23 PM

I have both! Originally ordered the dark, which I use for general riding, and the clear for when I am on trips so that I can get a better view of the highway if riding in the dark. If I had to have just one, I would pick the clear.

royr
05-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Clear, for visibility, as Hifyer noted, and it is less noticeable when looking at the bike.

Scotrod
05-13-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm 6-0, Looong torso, and have an RDL seat which places me a bit higher than OEM.

I have Lt gray, wife has med gray. After seeing/using both, I'd opt for Med gray. :icon_wink: