PDA

View Full Version : Harley commercial

CaptRob
05-12-2014, 12:14 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=izzlN2zC8PU&feature=youtu.be

MarcPW
05-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Ha ha ha ! Love it :lolup:

Do you know HD wanted to buy a French V Twin brand, the Voxan. I had the pleasure to test ride one, the Cafe Racer.

hiflyer
05-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Ha ha ha ! Love it :lolup:

Do you know HD wanted to buy a French V Twin brand, the Voxan. I had the pleasure to test ride one, the Cafe Racer.

Didn't they own Aprilla for awhile?

opas ride
05-12-2014, 03:34 PM
In no way am I a HD fan, but in my IMHO the newest versions (Mt. Rushmore updated series) seem to be the nicest bikes from them in a long, long, time..Many motorcycle mags rider reviews are mostly positive comments.....About time they came to the 21st century....

52edub
05-12-2014, 04:04 PM
I wish my ride had some of that HD technology like electronic throttle, touch screen radio/GPS and their ABS brakes. Our engine is bullet-proof, but the rest is old crap. Honda get with it.

hiflyer
05-12-2014, 04:23 PM
I wish my ride had some of that HD technology like electronic throttle, touch screen radio/GPS and their ABS brakes. Our engine is bullet-proof, but the rest is old crap. Honda get with it.

Everything is a compromise I guess. :iduno:

buefchris
05-12-2014, 04:30 PM
[About time they came to the 21st century....[/QUOTE]

About time they came closer to the 21st century is more like it.
Let's be honest here, they got a ways to go.
HD's latest model "RUSHMORE" is competing against a Goldwing design that's 15 years old and still falls short.

Sure it's a good looking bike but, that over-priced, air/oil/water cooled contraption looks like a nightmare just waiting to happen:icon_doh:
Please excuse my bias outburst on this subject but, Isn't that what this website is for?

CaptRob
05-12-2014, 04:51 PM
I had a 2011 street glide with fly by wire, ABS and all that. It was a very nice bike and Ihad no Issues but, when I rode the 6 for the first time...Yahtzee !!! I thing we post the funny HD stuff because we get so much crap about not having one. "What, you could have had a Harley!" Speech!! And it's fun!

MarcPW
05-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Didn't they own Aprilla for awhile?

Not sure/aware of it. :icon_redface:

hiflyer
05-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Not sure/aware of it. :icon_redface:

MV Augusta

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/popular/harley-davidson-sells-mv-agusta-castiglioni/

SpeedyWho
05-12-2014, 06:37 PM
I love the overly AMERICAN bullshit they push down your throat. "Project Rushmore" water cooled, 32ozs of coolant and radiators the size of index cards. Why to step it up boys, and all designed not to be seen. Cant make them look modern, in typical HD fashion. What about project "Little Big Horn" since the new Indians are a better motorcycle. Or they could stay with the whole HOG thing and name the next project "The Bay of Pigs"

Scotrod
05-12-2014, 06:56 PM
I like the Rushmore improvements! :yes:

Nice bikes, but not really what I want,,, :shrug:

Now,,, a Road Glide Ultra with a water-cooled (preferably non-TC) mill??!!??! :shrug: I'd have to think about that one,,,,

Now that Willy G is out to pasture, maybe they can play some catch-up!

Scotrod
05-12-2014, 06:58 PM
I remember all the YEARS I swore I'd NEVER ride a GOLDWING,,,, and now look at me!!! LOL!!!

:icon_biggrin:

bobbyf6b
05-12-2014, 08:58 PM
I like having both. :icon_mrgreen:

motozeke
05-12-2014, 09:42 PM
I remember all the YEARS I swore I'd NEVER ride a GOLDWING,,,, and now look at me!!! LOL!!!

Right there with ya, bub! :039:

motozeke
05-12-2014, 09:45 PM
I have no issues with Harleys or any other motorcycle--ride what you love! Be happy! What does confound me about Harleys though is how damn popular they are. I mean, retro anything should be a niche market, right? Not 50% of everything that sells. That's what I find most odd about Harleys. Not that they make bikes with obsolete technology, because there's always a market for that. It's that the market is so freaking HUGE.

buefchris
05-13-2014, 12:49 PM
I have no issues with Harleys or any other motorcycle--ride what you love! Be happy! What does confound me about Harleys though is how damn popular they are. I mean, retro anything should be a niche market, right? Not 50% of everything that sells. That's what I find most odd about Harleys. Not that they make bikes with obsolete technology, because there's always a market for that. It's that the market is so freaking HUGE.

:shhh:Marketing on a grand scale.

F6BPDX
05-13-2014, 02:34 PM

I think it's because for a vast majority of the "motorcycling market" it is a couple thousand mile a year hobby where they get together with friends. It is a social hobby as much as it is a motorcycle based one, and Harley Davidson has made themselves into the only option for being COOL. If you want the social aspect of motorcycling you buy a Harley and have it come to you, or you buy any other brand and have to beg for friends or hang out at DQ with Gma & Gpa.

Harley Davidson is STELLAR at what they do, and that is sell a "lifestyle" that includes a motorcycle. They are branding geniuses plain and simple. I work across from an HD dealer and frequently run into riders in the adjacent McDonalds when I am grabbing a coffee and what not. The number of those riders that have HD Helmet, HD Bandanna, HD Jacket, HD T-shirt, HD Boots & HD Gloves is staggeringly high. My desk sits next to a picture window and there are guys who will ride to the dealership 4 and 5 times a day just to hang out, to socialize, it's an old boys club. It's the guys that want to be a part of an M/C but aren't Outlaws.

Other brands don't offer that same experience, so naturally that is where that group heads.

That's not to say HD don't make a fine motorcycle, I imagine they do at this point, but I also imagine that for 80% of the guys on them the idea that they may need major work at 60,000 miles might as well be at 60 Bajillion miles because they will never see a number that high. The guys that do see high mileage on HDs know what they are getting into before they ever start and make a calculated decision.

Just my $0.02

Scotrod
05-13-2014, 03:22 PM
That, and up until 'roughly' the turn of the century, HD really didn't have any V-Twin-powered heavy cruiser competition,,,

V-twin's didn't really get 'stylish' up until the RUB's started buyin 'em,,,

racer
05-13-2014, 04:13 PM

When it came to baggers, I used to say, "if I wanted a rolling sofa, I'd buy a Goldwing."

Well....

GNW
05-13-2014, 05:42 PM
How right you are !!

I think it's because for a vast majority of the "motorcycling market" it is a couple thousand mile a year hobby where they get together with friends. It is a social hobby as much as it is a motorcycle based one, and Harley Davidson has made themselves into the only option for being COOL. If you want the social aspect of motorcycling you buy a Harley and have it come to you, or you buy any other brand and have to beg for friends or hang out at DQ with Gma & Gpa.

Harley Davidson is STELLAR at what they do, and that is sell a "lifestyle" that includes a motorcycle. They are branding geniuses plain and simple. I work across from an HD dealer and frequently run into riders in the adjacent McDonalds when I am grabbing a coffee and what not. The number of those riders that have HD Helmet, HD Bandanna, HD Jacket, HD T-shirt, HD Boots & HD Gloves is staggeringly high. My desk sits next to a picture window and there are guys who will ride to the dealership 4 and 5 times a day just to hang out, to socialize, it's an old boys club. It's the guys that want to be a part of an M/C but aren't Outlaws.

Other brands don't offer that same experience, so naturally that is where that group heads.

That's not to say HD don't make a fine motorcycle, I imagine they do at this point, but I also imagine that for 80% of the guys on them the idea that they may need major work at 60,000 miles might as well be at 60 Bajillion miles because they will never see a number that high. The guys that do see high mileage on HDs know what they are getting into before they ever start and make a calculated decision.

Just my $0.02

opas ride
05-13-2014, 06:18 PM
+1....Probably the most popular "Good old boys club" on the face of the earth....My neighbor has two HD's which he bought a couple years ago..He and I don't see much of each other and he is a rather difficult person to befriend..He asked me the other day if I wanted to go for a ride with him and I asked where he was headed...He said to the local HD dealer to "hang out" and talk to the "guys"...I made an excuse because I was not interested...This last Saturday the local HD dealer had an open house...Bikes up the "ying-yang" with a bunch of guys telling each other how great their Harley is and eating hot dogs...As said earlier, it is the largest M/C club in America with mostly riders that spend more time polishing and talking than actually riding their bikes....Someone told me the average HD is traded-in with less than 6,000 miles after 3/4 years of riding.....

Scotrod
05-13-2014, 07:37 PM
And I suppose that's all some folks need. I'm not knockin it, their choice, but I'm really not that sociable! LOL!!!

The Goldwingers seem to be heavy into RTE's,,, (Ride To Eat),,, I'm sure they tell the same stories, admire each others bling,,,

Only real difference is they don't have as many Tee-shirts and they meet at the DQ! :crackup:

MarcPW
05-13-2014, 08:00 PM
MV Augusta

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/popular/harley-davidson-sells-mv-agusta-castiglioni/

Thanks Hiflyer !